The problem with cleaning

The two closest - at one you have to be a resident of that city to drop off hazardous waste. The other doesn't have any schedule posted on their page. The last one they had was almost a year ago.

I believe I read somewhere that it's okay to dispose of solidified latex paint, but the paint in the cellar is so old, it's proabably lead-based. When I am down there again, I'll try to remember to check. Not all may be paint, either. Wood stain and other wood treatment products also came in paint can-looking containers.

You maybe a hoarder after all. You have a lot of reason for not getting rid of stuff. I think we all want a better safer life for you. Keep you stuff, if you must, sell the house, and get yourself safe.

@GeorgiaXplant Your comment on what younger people value is very different from ours at our age is totally on the mark.
Things like china, crystal, silver, and so on, and on, what we consider our treasures are far from theirs.
All those kind of things are packed up, since giving away my china cabinet, waiting to go a x-daughter-in-law that's married to once was a step son, and if she so wishes to split and share with two once step daughters.
So far, i haven't included my grandmother's china, hand painted, from England.
Because i have no family.....siblings.....aunts, uncles, cousins, and have not so far been able to locate any from my grandmother's side, the china will probably go to x step kids.....their choice, what they do with it.
I haven't got things piled up in all sorts of rooms, all packed in containers, organized, neatly stored, downstairs.
I repeat and go through things every so often, to keep things somewhat current.
All the handwork, crocheted, table clothes, doilies, even crocheted curtains, in total of a very large container stored......i'm in total odds as to what has to be done with them......does not interest younger ones.
I sort through pictures often, sorting, no place for them to go.

You maybe a hoarder after all. You have a lot of reason for not getting rid of stuff. I think we all want a better safer life for you. Keep you stuff, if you must, sell the house, and get yourself safe.
Those aren't "reasons." They're "yabbuts." For every suggestion, there's a "yabbut I can't because..." Deb! Just in case you're feeling guilty about unloading stuff into the trash because it meant something to somebody else in the family (even your mother), stop with the guilt. It wasn't your stuff to begin with, and there's no reason why you should feel responsible for any of it. There's plenty of reason why you should get rid of it. Yanno, like your own safety, like peace of mind living in an uncluttered home with stuff that you want.

If even the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or the Kidney Foundation don't want it, that should be a wake up call and send a strong message that it doesn't have any value.

I'm done. You've been dithering about all that stuff for years, and I and others have been trying to encourage you for years, to bite the bullet. You aren't going to. Not now. Not later. Not at all. You're only going to continue to complain about it. I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse.

Those aren't "reasons." They're "yabbuts." For every suggestion, there's a "yabbut I can't because..." Deb! Just in case you're feeling guilty about unloading stuff into the trash because it meant something to somebody else in the family (even your mother), stop with the guilt. It wasn't your stuff to begin with, and there's no reason why you should feel responsible for any of it. There's plenty of reason why you should get rid of it. Yanno, like your own safety, like peace of mind living in an uncluttered home with stuff that you want.

If even the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or the Kidney Foundation don't want it, that should be a wake up call and send a strong message that it doesn't have any value.

I'm done. You've been dithering about all that stuff for years, and I and others have been trying to encourage you for years, to bite the bullet. You aren't going to. Not now. Not later. Not at all. You're only going to continue to complain about it. I'm not going to continue to beat a dead horse.
On the bright side there is a silver lining to Deb's posts. I posted a thank you & I meant it because her yabbut's point out to me how lucky I am to not live in a home the is so badly deteriorated & not filled with items put out to the curb as free stuff that nobody will take.

I believe you are right in there is no helping Deb other than reading & responding to her posts. I think her mother did her damage raising her to be unfriendly & suspicious of people. For her IMO it's a way to socialize without having to talk face to face.

On the bright side there is a silver lining to Deb's posts. I posted a thank you & I meant it because her yabbut's point out to me how lucky I am to not live in a home the is so badly deteriorated & not filled with items put out to the curb as free stuff that nobody will take.

I believe you are right in there is no helping Deb other than reading & responding to her posts. I think her mother did her damage raising her to be unfriendly & suspicious of people. For her IMO it's a way to socialize without having to talk face to face.
I actually think this thread is a good way to take our minds off our own problems, and like knight said be relieved we don’t have a house like this or a problem with throwing stuff out. It is a struggle for Deb, maybe we can help, maybe not. Doesn't hurt to try.

Oh, love the thread about the neighbors as well. But kind of glad I don’t live next door to you Deb. No insult intended. I think you are great in your way.

When I moved here from years of living in a large house, I had so much stuff that I did not want to part with. Considering the size of this small studio apartment, it was apparent that a lot of stuff would have to go. I ended up selling a lot of items that I loved, but knew I would never use. An electric canner, cast iron cookware, guns, a solar oven, books and more things I cannot even remember. Now today I am piling up books to take pictures of to sell. If I haven't looked at it in the last year, out it goes. I am still going through photographs which take up a huge amount of precious space because they are in a trunk that I could use for something else that I need and use.

When I moved here from years of living in a large house, I had so much stuff that I did not want to part with. Considering the size of this small studio apartment, it was apparent that a lot of stuff would have to go. I ended up selling a lot of items that I loved, but knew I would never use. An electric canner, cast iron cookware, guns, a solar oven, books and more things I cannot even remember. Now today I am piling up books to take pictures of to sell. If I haven't looked at it in the last year, out it goes. I am still going through photographs which take up a huge amount of precious space because they are in a trunk that I could use for something else that I need and use.
Hmm, I might have tried to keep the solar oven. Power outages.

Hmm, I might have tried to keep the solar oven. Power outages.
I have less power outages here than at my off the grid house. There it was due to not enough sun through the dark days we have here in NY. Or equipment break downs. My neighbors here told me they could not remember a power outage here and they have both been here longer than 25 years. I really was not about to put the solar oven outside on the picnic table and run up and down all day moving it to cook a meal. It is one thing if you have one on your deck or yard right outside the door. It cooked food really good though.

I fell on my face this morning carrying trash out to the garage. It felt like I tripped on a small stump. I went back and looked all over where I fell and couldn't find anything sticking up like that. Started on the cellar and tripped on the stairs twice carrying things up. I gave up cleaning for today.

I fell on my face this morning carrying trash out to the garage. It felt like I tripped on a small stump. I went back and looked all over where I fell and couldn't find anything sticking up like that. Started on the cellar and tripped on the stairs twice carrying things up. I gave up cleaning for today.
Where you hurt? If I fall I have to go to the ER, so I try very hard not to fall. I have a very bad spine and have to get CT scans if I fall, ugh.

Not hurt, but it knocked the wind out of my sails for a minute. Reflex is to reach out with arms to break the fall. I always worry I'll break a bone or dislocate or sprain a joint.

Back