The Sunday Scaries. Did you have them?

They're our shopping days
Not too many out
Great parking
In
Out

For those same reasons we do most of our shopping and errands M-F from 9-2. Working hours and kids are still in school.

I also plan that way as a kindness to members of the workaday world. They have little choice about when they can run those same errands, but my schedule is usually w-i-d-e open.

I don't mind Mondays. It helps that I'm self-employed so my work week is structured the way I want it to be, and my work's always different, and I really like my clients, so I don't dread the beginning of the work week.

And I know I sound like I'm contradicting myself here, but I'm not....what I DO dread is the end of the weekend!!! Not because I hate work, but just because it's the end of my free weekend time, the time when I get to do the stuff that I want to do, the stuff around the house, the forward progress on the renovations we're working on, the time when I get caught up on personal stuff.

I envy those of you for whom every day is a weekend day.

We do the same thing Gary, Monday mornings is our usual shopping day. Tuesday, if Monday is filled with an appointment or something.
Yeah, those seem the least busy days

But I really like Starry's thoughtfulness, too;

For those same reasons we do most of our shopping and errands M-F from 9-2. Working hours and kids are still in school.

I also plan that way as a kindness to members of the workaday world. They have little choice about when they can run those same errands, but my schedule is usually w-i-d-e open.

After 18 years of flying for United, I pretty well had it made to pick my choice of days that I wanted to work, if you call flying work, that is. I enjoyed flying Mon-Fri, but when I flew the Chicago-Hawaii route, I liked flying the weekends because a lot of vacationers would leave to fly to Hawaii on those days and I really liked having a plane full of happy people. Never even knew what it was to dread Mondays. Any day that I got to fly was a good day.

I also hated Sunday, especially evenings when I was younger and had school the next day, never liked school. And when I was working I dreaded Sunday evening again because the "grind" would start the next day. The commute, the worked up customers over the weekend, the Monday morning scrums / meetings, the long work week ahead.
It took awhile after I retired for my subconscious to realize that I didn't have to go to work. I always had a crappy sleep Sunday night. It is still not the greatest sleep even after 3 years.

I love retirement, I almost feel giddy not having to get up early and head to the office.

In my case, I worked third shift, my week ended on Friday morning and on Sunday about 1pm I had to go to sleep so I could be up about 9pm and be at work at 10pm. Good thing I am a good sleeper, that change twice a week of my circadian rhythm was tiring. I was so happy to retire and have a normal sleep cycle.

In my case, I worked third shift, my week ended on Friday morning and on Sunday about 1pm I had to go to sleep so I could be up about 9pm and be at work at 10pm. Good thing I am a good sleeper, that change twice a week of my circadian rhythm was tiring. I was so happy to retire and have a normal sleep cycle.
Wow, 3rd shift...what did you do for a living Cat?

Wow, 3rd shift...what did you do for a living Cat?
Payments processing for an electric utility company, including the last minute payers who dropped it off at collection stations, had to be processed by morning so that they wouldn't be shut off. (The company got rid of tellers to save money).

I didn't like Sundays either because of the Monday start of the week. A lot of times I worked all weekend when it was end of the month. Needed the time to get monthly statements out and monitor the General Ledger report.

I always looked forward to getting back to work on Mondays -- having 3 close friends working with me, helped a lot, and most of the other co-workers were pleasant. So .. no Sunday Scaries for me!

Back