The vineyard

Aww gee shucks, Gary. ☺️ Thank you!

Our little vineyard project has been exciting in its own little way, but in the beginning I didn't realize how it would bring me closer to my Lord. That's been a real blessing. If you or anyone else gets even a little enjoyment from reading my ramblings then I'm twice blessed.

Fall

One of my favorite autumn memories comes from the fall of 1975. My wife and I were as poor as church mice, but we were young and healthy and full of life. All good things were possible back then.

It was during the heyday of our brief home winemaking enterprise. Our good friend Beverly had a co-worker who had recently purchased a property that included a sizeable apple orchard. He had neither the time for, nor interest in that year’s crop and told Beverly that she could have all the apples she wanted. Sooo . . .

We loaded the back of her old pickup truck with just about every apple it would hold.

#26E fall 2021.jpg

We then took the apples to a local cider mill where they pressed them for us for ten cents a gallon and we ended up with 110 gallons of juice. After splitting it with Beverly and her boyfriend, my wife and I had 55 gallons of glorious apple juice to play with.

We had fun turning most of that juice into a fairly decent apple wine, but with a few gallons I was determined to try my hand at making some authentic, old time APPLE JACK. Today’s commercial products called apple jack are actually distilled in factories, but originally applejack was made by a process called “jacking”. Fermented apple juice is frozen and the ice that forms is removed. This greatly reduces the amount of water and therefore significantly increases the alcohol content in the final product.

Well, over several weeks I froze bowls of fermented juice, carefully ladling out and discarding the resulting ice with a slotted spoon. I anxiously anticipated a few bottles of a tasty and historically authentic high proof beverage.

In the end, if I was to say my applejack “wasn’t very impressive” it would be a gigantic understatement. It was actually pretty darned awful.

It was an interesting experience all the same.

Some wisdom from the vineyard.

It’s now early November. Today I looked at the vines in our vineyard. Those plants that were recently lush green and vibrant are now brown and scrawny looking. I’m told that they will come back next summer bigger and more robust than before. That’s probably true, but at this point I’m finding it pretty hard to believe.

#26A fall 2021.JPG

I guess I just have to be patient and wait to see what happens. It is a clear reminder to me that anticipation is not at all the same thing as having faith.

Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”

Attachments

• #26B fall 2021.JPG
    #26B fall 2021.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 0
Winter Mulch

Like much of New England, New Hampshire is well known for vibrant autumn colors when the leaves begin to turn. The scenery can be stunningly beautiful, but the “color season” is invariably short-lived. By the time November arrives many of the trees have lost all of their leaves and those that remain show only various shades of brown.

Our night time temperatures are dropping below freezing now. It’s time for me to think about getting our vines ready for bed . . . mulching them for the long winter to come.

What I learned: I had assumed that we mulch plants in the winter to protect them from the cold. It seems I was wrong.

In cold climates, winter mulching of sensitive plants serves several purposes. First and foremost among these is to keep the ground frozen so the plants stay dormant. Otherwise a brief winter warm spell could cause the plants to begin to bud too soon. Subsequent freezing would then cause winter die-off.

From what I’ve read, it seems to me that the colder the local environment, the more varied (and uncertain) are the approaches to winter mulching. Some people simply mound up extra soil around the base of the plants. Around here, I think most people use a thick layer of straw, leaves, or other loose organic material for insulation.

For better or worse, I have a slightly different (and very possibly foolish) plan.

Plain straw or leaves tend to get matted down after a while and lose some of their insulating properties. As it happens, when we bought our current house we inherited a large rubber container full of shredded pine . . . the type that’s commonly used for bedding in horse stalls.

My plan is to fill gallon plastic freezer bags with this material. In theory, the sealed bags will keep the shavings dry and prevent matting. This will enhance the insulating properties of the mulch.

Um … that’s the plan anyway . . .

#27A winter mulch.JPG

I’m starting out by putting a thin layer of straw around the base of the plant. I then place the bags of shavings on top of the straw. Finally, I put a good layer of straw over and around the bags and cover the whole thing with burlap.

#27B winter mulch.JPG

The end result “looks” impressive to me but looks don’t count for much. Once we have a thick layer of snow on the ground, I hope it will provide good insulation to keep the vines asleep until spring arrives.

#27C winter mulch.JPG

There doesn’t seem to be any really certain way to mulch grapevines for a harsh New Hampshire winter. There are just too many unknowns. I really don’t know what to expect when spring returns.

I’ll just have to wait and see. I’m okay with that.

Even thinking about my eternal life, I realize that sometimes there has to be room left for surprises.

“What no eye has seen,
what no ear has heard,
and what no human mind has conceived” —
the things God has prepared for those who love him —“ 1 Corinthians 2:9

Snow in the Vineyard

The winter’s first snowfall is late this year, arriving just three days before the winter solstice. Watching these big flakes filling the air brings to mind a poem I learned in grade school.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I think Robert Frost was probably thinking about just such a New Hampshire night as this when he wrote Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening in 1922.

There’s always something almost magical about the first real snowfall of the year. Whether its arrival is calm and gentle or windy and dramatic, the event transforms the drab late autumn landscape into a glistening white wonderland.

Tonight the vineyard is peaceful and the woods and rock walls are absolutely lovely . . . as the snow gently fills the woods.

#28C snow on vineyard.JPG

Nature has a way of constantly reminding me of my many, many blessings.

What did I ever do to deserve this amazing world? The answer, of course, is that I don’t deserve it at all. God’s creation is His gift - freely given to all of mankind. A gift of love. How we view it and show our appreciation for it is up to us.

Psalm 8:3-5 “When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the Stars, which Thou hast ordained; what is man, that Thou dost take thought of him? and the son of man, that Thou dost care for him? Yet Thou hast made him a little lower than God, and dost crown him with glory and majesty!”

Winter

There’s a special charm to winter. Winter scenery has its own unique beauty. It’s a time when things like old movies, crackling fires, thick soups, and freshly baked bread come into their own. Life slows down. Winter is a good time for rest and reflection.

1647522576192.jpeg

Of course it has its down side, too.

January this year has been a bit harsh by New Hampshire standards. The temperature when I woke up this morning was -15 F and we’ve had many other nights when it’s dropped below zero or into the single digits.

I’m a little concerned for the survival of our vines but not overly so. The varieties we planted are supposed to be able to survive winter temperatures as low as 15 to 20 below zero.

At the moment there is a good foot of snow on the vineyard which is providing some insulation. The secondary vines that are in the garage could fare better as our garage is normally a few degrees warmer than the outside temperature.

We made our preparations. At this point we can only wait and see.

Still, what if some of the vines don’t survive? It’s an interesting question to ponder.

Certainly, if one or both of the primary plants is lost I’ll replace them with the understudies – assuming that they survive. But if three or all four of the plants were to die . . . ?

1647522658037.jpeg

I could possibly try to find a variety that is even more cold hardy. But because of the delay in obtaining quality grapevines, those wouldn’t be available to plant until the spring of 2023. That would mean we wouldn’t see any fruit until fall of 2026 at the earliest. We’re not getting any younger. Would it even be worth the effort?

On the other hand . . . there are some pretty climbing roses that grow wild on our land. Maybe we’d just transplant a few of those and change the name from "The Vineyard" to "The “Rose Garden”.

"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." (Nelson Henderson)

For many years I’ve believed this quote to be about leaving legacies – tangible or intangible; great or small. I still think that’s likely what Mr. Henderson had in mind when he penned that line, but over the years I’ve come to question its actual significance.

Although the phrase “the true meaning of life” as used here is clearly literary hyperbole, it is human nature to want to do things that “leave a mark” on our world.

Build a business or a notable structure. Invent something useful. Create artwork. Instill values in our children. Do something that will inspire future generations . . . or plant a few humble grapevines.

The unfortunate truth is, however, that legacies rarely last. Most often the “tree” we plant today will, in a relatively short time, be ripped out by a future owner of the land to make room for a swimming pool.

Our structures will decay, our businesses will collapse, our artwork will be cast aside, our values rejected, our ideals perverted by those who re-write history.

Ultimately there has only ever been one person whose legacy will endure forever.

1 Peter 1:3-5 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

Creative Musing

The calendar might say it’s nearly spring, but a quick walk to the mailbox tells a different story. While waiting out these last few weeks of winter, this is a good time for a bit of . . . well . . . constructive daydreaming for want of a better term.

In theory, our vineyard won’t begin producing grapes until about 18 months from now but it’s never too early to be thinking ahead. What are we going to DO with all of those dozens of pounds of grapes that we harvest?

Haha. Hey, if I’m gonna daydream I might as well daydream BIG!! Y’know . . . ?

Naturally, since we’ll have far more than we can eat fresh ourselves, the obvious first thing to do will be to share them with our friends. That’s what we do around here. Our neighbor next door in particular always shares blueberries from her bushes with us and it will be nice to be able to return the favor.

Then, within reason, my wife will put up jars of jams and preserves that we can both use ourselves and give as gifts, but there are other options as well.

Frozen grapes. This was a favorite of my uncle Bob. Always conscious of his weight, he would keep a supply of frozen grapes on hand for a light, low calorie snack. They’re really good! As ours will be seedless they should work well for this and, according to the internet, grapes can be kept in the freezer for a year.

Raisins. My wife wants to try her hand at making her own raisins. The process sounds pretty straightforward. I don’t know what their shelf life might be but we should be able to make them in small batches as we need them using grapes from the freezer.

Still, I’ve been searching for other, more creative dishes that grapes can be used in as well. We did a little experimenting in this area over the past few months. One really good dish we found was “Apple & Grape Pie Baked Oatmeal”. Paired with a cup of Greek yogurt is makes a really tasty and nutritionally balanced breakfast. I’ll post the recipe here if anyone’s interested.

1648136025718.jpeg

Another dish we tried was “Grape & Chicken Stir Fry”. We’ve been looking for a good savory grape dish. This one was, hmmm . . . well, not exciting. Buried in white rice we found it to be pretty bland. Still, with my wife’s cookery skills it could be a starting point for something more interesting.

1648136111190.jpeg

If anyone reading this has a suggestion for a good grape dish, I’d really love to hear about it.

I’ll readily admit that I’m not much of a cook and am blessed to have a wife who is very talented in that area. Most of my cooking knowledge has been picked up from the sidelines. I do know that recipes can require the use of many ingredients, tools, and techniques if the dish is to be a success.

The Bible gives us a recipe of sorts for the primary characteristic that distinguishes those who follow Christ. That characteristic is Love.

Although I know all of the ingredients, I’m still not very good at using them. At any time I can look back and see times during the past few days when I’ve failed. But unlike in the kitchen, I don’t have the option of stepping aside and letting someone more talented do it for me.

This one’s all on me, so I’ll keep trying.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Another version of grape pie from Naples, New York.

I've never made one, but I have purchased a few from roadside stands over the years.

https://homeinthefingerlakes.com/concord-grape-pie/

DSC_0086-768x488.jpg.webp

What are we going to DO with all of those dozens of pounds of grapes that we harvest?

Haha. Hey, if I’m gonna daydream I might as well daydream BIG!! Y’know . . . ?
If your grapes are anything like what we had at a previous place, you can count on many pounds of grapes.

Ours were just concord ("table grapes"), but they went nuts
Vines running amok
Just from a few starts

We ate our fill, made jams/jellies
Gave baskets full to neighbors

Hope to be able to do that again in a few years

Love reading your posts @Tommy
They're always so complete

Another version of grape pie from Naples, New York.

I've never made one, but I have purchased a few from roadside stands over the years.

https://homeinthefingerlakes.com/concord-grape-pie/

DSC_0086-768x488.jpg.webp
That looks sooooo good, Aunt Bea! Thank you for the recipe!! :love:

I've read that our Mars grapes will have a flavor very similar to Concords. We'll definitely try this recipe the next time we find Concord grapes at the grocery store.

If your grapes are anything like what we had at a previous place, you can count on many pounds of grapes.
Thanks for the encouragement, Gary! We certainly would like that to be the case. Central New Hampshire is hardly the best place to be trying to grow grapes, but we're hopeful and it has been enjoyable.

At current market prices, I estimate that it will take about 400 pounds of grapes to break even on this project! :LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pruning

A couple inches of new snow fell last night. It was a feeble attempt as most of it has already melted by mid-morning. Winter is starting to lose its grip on us.

The time has come to prune our grapevines.

I’ve been looking forward to this moment with both excitement and, I admit, a little trepidation since last fall. I think I know what needs to be done.

At this point, the plants should have had time to establish sound root systems and have gotten a start on what will become their permanent trunks.

This second season will see the trunks grow taller and thicker, hopefully to the point where they can be tied to the upper wire. That’s their final destination.

This year we’ll also see some “lateral shoots” growing from buds on the sides of the trunks. Some of these will be tied to the wires and a year from now will be called “fruiting canes”. The following year, they in turn will produce their own shoots on which our first grapes will grow.

At least that’s the theory. :rolleyes:

Mars #1, the vine on the right, is the most robust plant so I’m pruning it first. To be honest, it isn’t as painful as I had imagined it would be. I think the intervening winter and the miserable appearance of the dormant plants has softened the blow.

1648726558997.jpeg

After cutting off all of side shoots, one more quick snip the vine is now just a single stick reaching to about five inches above the lower wire. I’m happy to see a good number of healthy looking buds on the remaining trunk. This year, one strong lateral shoot reaching to the top wire will be trained to form the rest of the trunk. Other lateral shoots will be tied to the wires to become next year’s fruiting canes.

1648726639359.jpeg

I’m less confident about Canadice #1, the vine on the left. I was pleased when I found that it was producing two trunks, but it’s clear that they’re both too thin. Noticeably smaller than “the diameter of a pencil” which seems to be the standard for a one year old trunk.

1648726693680.jpeg

I decide to leave only the strongest of the two and prune it to about one inch below the lower wire. My hope is that one of the remaining buds will form a good strong shoot that can become the permanent trunk.

1648726734334.jpeg

Soooo . . . for better or worse, the first pruning is complete.

Because I’m new to this, my pruning was necessarily done with a lot of uncertainty. An experienced grower would be more confident. But when our Heavenly Father “prunes” His children, He knows exactly what he’s doing. Understanding that, even my most difficult circumstances become blessings.

John 15:1-2 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”

The Morning After

College days. College parties. And those memorable mornings after. An apartment littered with dirty dishes, empty cans, overflowing ashtrays, broken furniture, and the occasional left over celebrant from the previous evening.

Walking around our land this morning has a definite “morning after” sort of feel.

Tree branches broken by the wind and heavy snow, deer-browsed landscape plants, and dirt-covered piles of snow make for a less than pretty picture. And then, there’s . . .

1650541567981.jpeg

The eastern meadow vole is a cute little critter closely related to hamsters.

It has an important role to play in our little ecosystem. Its job is to produce lots and lots of offspring . . . and then to be eaten. It’s a major player in the local food chain. Our owls, hawks, foxes, weasels, and other larger carnivorous beasties rely heavily on voles as a food source.

Meadow voles are strict vegetarians, They feed on grasses, bulbs, and bark. Including the bark of grape vines! I’m hopeful that those little hardware mesh screens around our vines will be sufficient to deter them.

Voles are active all year and spend most of their lives above ground. During our snowy winter months they “tunnel” in between the grass and the snow. As the snow melts, the mess left by their trails becomes visible.

1650541990555.jpeg

Winter’s damage is an inherent part of living in a wild place such as this. Most things can be remedied, at least to some extent, but the cycle will continue to be repeated winter after winter. Ultimately we can only learn to cope. To coexist.

Several years ago a friend of mine lost most of his hearing. Not over time, not due to an illness or injury, but it happened in an instant . . . one minute his hearing was fine, then it was gone. Doctors have not been able to explain why.

I think it’s human nature for us to want to think of ourselves as strong, intelligent, and capable to some extent, but sooner or later troubles ultimately find a way of overtaking us. In reality, we’re all rather “breakable” beings – physically, mentally, emotionally, socially . . . .

Sometimes our problems can be mended. Sometimes they can’t. It can be comforting to know that the same God that made us and sustains us also has a ultimate plan for us. His love never fails.

Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

Sometimes our problems can be mended. Sometimes they can’t. It can be comforting to know that the same God that made us and sustains us also has a ultimate plan for us. His love never fails.

Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."
Amen

Removing Winter Mulch

It’s mid-April. The Spring of 2022 is still in its infancy but I sense that the danger of a serious freeze might now be past for this year. Meteorology, like all science, is inexact and, like all science, the further one moves from the general to the specific in terms of time and space, the less reliable it becomes. We could still get a ‘killing frost”, even well into May, but . . .

The growing season for grapes in this area is absurdly short. A decision has to be made. It’s time for me to unwrap our vines.

220412 de-mulching 02.jpg

Although the straw I used in the mulch has lost a bit of its loft, it isn’t nearly as matted as I thought it might be.

220412 de-mulching 06.jpg

The wood shavings in plastic bags held up wonderfully! They are just as fresh and fluffy as when they were when I placed them there last fall. I should be able to store them just as they are and use them again next year.

220412 de-mulching 07.jpg

As for the vines themselves, I can see no change. They’re still bare, doubtful sticks with no sign of swelling where the buds will appear. Hopefully that will change within the next few weeks.

220412 de-mulching 09.jpg

Time for more watching and waiting . . .

In spite of its current bleak aspect, our little vineyard is a place of contemplation and clarity for me. In a way, I liken it to a snug, protected harbor on the rocky New England seacoast. For a short time I can be shielded there from the tumult of daily life.

As springtime slowly creeps over central New Hampshire, I marvel at the sheer scope and complexity of creation. The hand of the Creator can be seen everywhere.

My faith is an awesome gift given in love and received with gratitude. A gift of which I am totally unworthy. It is truly a source of “ínexpressible and glorious joy”.

1 Peter 1:8-9 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Bud Break

In the shotgun sports of skeet and trap shooting, the interval between the release of the clay target and the time it is broken by the shooter’s shot is but a fraction of a second. That’s fast!

1653568593242.jpeg

If a letter gets delivered by the post office the day after it’s mailed, that too is fast! If it takes a week, that’s slow.

A two week vacation can go by amazingly quickly, while a two week illness can seem to drag on forever.

Our perception of time is relative.

For this past month I’ve been trying to “think” leaves onto our grapevines. Staring at naked sticks, the time has fairly crawled while I’ve waited to find out whether or not the plants survived the fairly harsh winter. Then today . . .

1653568726797.jpeg

Yes!!! Nearly two weeks into May, leaf buds are beginning to open on all four of the vines. The two Mars variety plants look the best. The more delicate Canadice vines less so, but at least I know that the roots survived.

The buds of a grapevine are unusual in that each contains three areas with the potential to grow shoots – one primary bud and two backups. If the primary bud is damaged, one of the other two can still produce a new shoot. With luck, there may still be more to come.

1653568818390.jpeg
(Canadice #1. Hard to see, but a handful of buds have opened near the bottom.)

The word “patience" can be defined as the quality of bearing pains or trials calmly and without complaint. It implies suffering, enduring, or waiting as a determination of the will and not simply under necessity.

Regarding our grapevines, I have failed dismally in the area of patience.

At my age, I live daily with the knowledge that I’m getting closer to the end of my time on this earth. Although I’m certainly in no hurry to die, I find that do look forward with hope and some excitement to moving into the next, eternal, perfect stage of my existence.

I pray that I will be able to live out my days in obedience to Almighty God, and that I’ll be able to master true patience until the time when “He comes again or calls me home”.

2 Peter 3:8-9 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

The Fence

In years past, I volunteered as a docent at a local environmental research reserve. As an environmental scientist it was a natural fit for me and I enjoyed being able to share this beautiful and interesting location with our visitors.

One of the many research projects being conducted at that time was a long-term study involving Japanese barberry . . . an invasive plant that can destroy native forests by crowding out the understory flora.

The researcher maintained a number of study plots for different experiments. Around each plot he had erected an eight-foot high fence to keep deer from interfering with the plant growth within. After a very short time, however, he had to add another four feet if wire to the top of the fence because deer were jumping over the original eight-foot high barrier!

Compared to those study plots, our vineyard is tiny. The fenced area will measure only 20 feet by nine feet. Because of the small size and the trellis within, I’m fairly confident that a six-foot fence will keep the deer out. Fairly … confident …

I’m planning to use seven steel t-posts and galvanized chicken wire to build the fence. Because of buried rocks, I have little hope that the fenced area will be exactly rectangular or the posts perfectly straight, but I’m hopeful that it will serve the purpose until I can come up with a better solution.

On my first attempt each post hits rock, but after trying a few nearby locations they all go in far enough to completely bury the anchor plate … all but one. That one is on a corner and it must be directly over a VERY BIG rock. It will need a guy wire to support it.

The chicken wire goes up, er, well . . . the way chicken wire goes up but it’s not too bad. I’m using zip ties to attach the wire to the posts. I’ve come to love zip ties – they’re almost as useful as duct tape.

After a couple of days’ work the posts are all standing at their various angles, the wire is wavy, but at least the fence is up. I’ll consider that to be a small victory.

Until now I had never heard of a “post pounder”. This is an 18 pound steel tube that’s sealed at the top and has handles along each side. To use it, you slide the tube over the top of the post, grasp both handles, raise the tube about a foot, and then “vigorously” slam it down onto the top of the post. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat . . .

View attachment 203498

Using this tool, I was able to accomplish something that would otherwise have been extremely difficult for me to do. Yes, if I hit a rock, it’s still a rock and I have to reposition the post. It still takes the same amount of kinetic force to move the stake through the soil but the post pounder greatly improves both the efficiency and the ergonomics of the task. So the post pounder doesn’t change what IS, but it does make what IS much easier to master.

Faith can have a similar effect but on a much grander scale. Faith does not alter God’s plan; what WAS and IS and IS TO BE. Rather, through it He enables us to fulfill our roles in that plan.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

That kind of tool is extremely effective...but, you are scientist, you know the deal....fulcrum and all that. That kind of work is a big strain on the lower back. I have herniated disks on L4 and L5. One of the reasons they failed, was from chopping wood...weight at distance, brought down with speed. So, you know, just be careful there...

very much like the Ephesians quote. God Bless You and your work!

That kind of tool is extremely effective...but, you are scientist, you know the deal....fulcrum and all that. That kind of work is a big strain on the lower back. I have herniated disks on L4 and L5. One of the reasons they failed, was from chopping wood...weight at distance, brought down with speed. So, you know, just be careful there...

very much like the Ephesians quote. God Bless You and your work!
Thank you, Jon. Sorry to hear about your back. Does it give you much trouble?

I do try to be careful but my good intentions aren't always reflected in actual practice. :rolleyes:

In this case, with the post pounder I found that I could do most of the work with my leg, arm, and chest muscles. The tool is heavy enough to provide a good part of the vertical force. I have, however, done many other ill-considered things in the past. I'm living proof that being knowledgeable doesn't always equate with making wise decisions. :ROFLMAO:

Under other circumstances I would have preferred to hire someone with a post hole drill to drill the holes and then I'd have installed p/t wooden posts. On our land, however, post hole drills wouldn't likely work due to the buried BIG rocks. :(

Yes ... all of Ephesians 2 is a source of great encouragement and joy for me. :)

Thank you, Jon. Sorry to hear about your back. Does it give you much trouble?

I do try to be careful but my good intentions aren't always reflected in actual practice. :rolleyes:

In this case, with the post pounder I found that I could do most of the work with my leg, arm, and chest muscles. The tool is heavy enough to provide a good part of the vertical force. I have, however, done many other ill-considered things in the past. I'm living proof that being knowledgeable doesn't always equate with making wise decisions. :ROFLMAO:

Under other circumstances I would have preferred to hire someone with a post hole drill to drill the holes and then I'd have installed p/t wooden posts. On our land, however, post hole drills wouldn't likely work due to the buried BIG rocks. :(

Yes ... all of Ephesians 2 is a source of great encouragement and joy for me. :)

well, yes, I have back problems. Typical L4 and L5 issues...generally...and then I am post a few car accidents...

Feeding Time

We know that, like all living things, plants need the right kinds and amounts of chemicals in their diets to grow and reproduce. Farmers and most home gardeners use commercial or natural fertilizers to provide those chemicals that may be lacking in the soil.

But WHAT chemicals and HOW MUCH of each?

1654456241977.jpeg

What I learned: The three chemicals that plants need in the greatest amounts are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Containers of commercial mixed fertilizer are usually marked with three numbers, maybe something like 16-4-8, but what do those numbers mean? They are simply the percent (by weight) of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium found in that particular fertilizer.

How do our grapevines use these chemicals?

A catchy (although not strictly scientific) rule of thumb is to use the phrase “Up, Down, and All Around”.

Nitrogen helps to promote lots of green leafy stuff, the most visible part of most plants, hence the term “Up”.

Phosphorus helps our vines to develop strong, efficient roots. Although healthy roots are very important, they’re below ground and out of sight. Therefore the term “Down”.

Finally, potassium is critical to a vine’s overall health. Among other things , it’s vital to plant respiration and the movement of water and nutrients throughout the plant. Potassium affects the plant “All Around”.

Last fall I sent samples of our vineyard’s soil to the UNH Cooperative Extension Service for analysis. According to their report the soil in my vineyard contains plenty of phosphorus but it could use more nitrogen and potassium. How much? They recommend two ounces of calcium nitrate and four ounces of potassium sulfate per vine.

So off to Amazon for chemicals.

1654456317348.jpeg

Okay . . .

Kitchen scale – check!
Paper cups – check!
Extra soil – check!
Mixing tub – check!
Watering can – check!

I think I’m ready to go. I ‘ll apply half of the recommended chemicals today and the other half in about a month.

I weigh the chemicals into paper cups and put about a gallon of soil into the tub.

1654456378785.jpeg

Mix the whole thing really well and sprinkle the mixture around the base of one of the vines. Then repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Finally I water everything well.

I think I can almost hear the vines whispering “thank you, thank you”.

1654456562483.jpeg

You’re entirely welcome. :D

As I’m busy feeding my grapevines, it occurs to me that this concept of “Up, down, and all around” applies to my faith life as well.

Up: The way I conduct my day-to-day life. This in the “me” that others see. It’s the “visible me”. My living witness for my Lord Jesus.

John 13:35 By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Down: Studying scripture helps to strengthen my spiritual foundation. The “roots” of my faith.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

All Around: Constant prayer touches every aspect of my faith. Prayer of worship. Prayer of joy. Prayer of praise. Prayer of repentance. Prayer of supplication. Prayer of thanksgiving. The list is endless.

I can and do talk with Almighty God whenever I want to. And He listens. I find that to be very humbling . . . and totally wonderful.

Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I admire all your efforts, and wish you a bountiful harvest. Right now I have mixed feelings. For the past years in my tiny plot of ground, I have planted 4 one gallon tomato plants and enjoyed the full ripened taste of them. This year will be different, as we have moved to an apartment. I have a planter with chives and thyme, but that pales in comparison to our last place.

I admire all your efforts, and wish you a bountiful harvest. Right now I have mixed feelings. For the past years in my tiny plot of ground, I have planted 4 one gallon tomato plants and enjoyed the full ripened taste of them. This year will be different, as we have moved to an apartment. I have a planter with chives and thyme, but that pales in comparison to our last place.
Thank you, bowmore. It will be at least another year before we can expect to get any fruit from these vines but we're okay with that. For me, it isn't really about the scope of the project or the fruit we might eventually get. Rather it's about the challenge and the chance to interact with God's creation.

During the last few years of my working life I had very little opportunity to do this sort of thing. One day, during an event at the school where my wife taught, I picked up a tiny jade plant for the princely sum of $1. It had a total of three leaves. :giggle: I put it in a small pot on the window sill in my office and nurtured it along as best as I could. Today that plant is about two feet across and lives in a window near our breakfast table. It's still a daily source of joy for me.

IMG_2054.JPG

I wish you success and, even more importantly, much enjoyment from your chive and thyme plants. Post a picture if you get a chance.

Thank you, bowmore. It will be at least another year before we can expect to get any fruit from these vines but we're okay with that. For me, it isn't really about the scope of the project or the fruit we might eventually get. Rather it's about the challenge and the chance to interact with God's creation.

During the last few years of my working life I had very little opportunity to do this sort of thing. One day, during an event at the school where my wife taught, I picked up a tiny jade plant for the princely sum of $1. It had a total of three leaves. :giggle: I put it in a small pot on the window sill in my office and nurtured it along as best as I could. Today that plant is about two feet across and lives in a window near our breakfast table. It's still a daily source of joy for me.

View attachment 224252

I wish you success and, even more importantly, much enjoyment from your chive and thyme plants. Post a picture if you get a chance.
Oh my goodness @Tommy, that Jade looks just like one I had many years ago...even the same window! Got such a feeling when I saw that, but those days are gone.

Mine wasn't tiny like yours to start, but small anyway. My son named it "Quan Tahn" when he was little, LOL.

Once, I made the mistake of putting it outside for a short while (full sun).. the leaves sunburned, but it recovered.

Finally, this very old plant perhaps needing more nutrients fell victim to a pest; these little white fluffy flea-like things. I think they were mealy bugs.

I was young and stupid and instead of asking at the nursery, I bought the wrong poison and killed Quan Tahn!

Thanks for listening.

Back