They’re back. The Blue Angels are here for a weekend show.

Get ready to setup your lawn chairs and pour some ice tea. My Navy is going to put on a real show for you.
When I lived in Imperial Valley Ca. I got to watch the Angels practice in the winter at the El Centro Naval Air Facility. One weekend, we were camping out at the Superstition Mountain OHV right next to the bombing range. While tenting on a hilltop, all of a sudden, I looked over and was looking right at a Blue Angel pilot. (they were flying that low. Never heard him coming, but sure heard him as he was leaving. :D They were out there practicing that low level fly over where they approach each other while upside down. :eek:
Some of the coolest flying I've ever seen. (y)

When I lived in Imperial Valley Ca. I got to watch the Angels practice in the winter at the El Centro Naval Air Facility. One weekend, we were camping out at the Superstition Mountain OHV right next to the bombing range. While tenting on a hilltop, all of a sudden, I looked over and was looking right at a Blue Angel pilot. (they were flying that low. Never heard him coming, but sure heard him as he was leaving. :D They were out there practicing that low level fly over where they approach each other while upside down. :eek:
Some of the coolest flying I've ever seen. (y)
When they are flying fast, you never hear them until they are gone. I watched Marine Jets simulating an attack on an Okinawan Beach from a Navy Carrier that was over the horizon. They come in low and fast and you don't hear them, and you don't see them until they are right on top of you dropping their load. It must be terrifying to enemy ground troop to feel so vulnerable.

Love the Blue Angels. I know what your feeling when they come over your house. In my early years in the Navy we owned a townhouse in Virginia Beach where the jets would come over our home. They were so low you see the pilot and wave to him. "Jet Noise ~ Sound of Freedom". We have a small viewing area at the Oceana Naval Base on Oceana Blvd that anyone can park and watch the fighter jets practice. I could spend hours there watching them. The Blue Angels are scheduled to be at the Oceana Air Base on September 18 - 19 of this year.

We've seen the Blue Angles and the USAF Thunderbirds a half dozen times, over the years. Their shows are Always quite spectacular. We have a big AF base, Whiteman AFB, about 50 miles away....home to the B2 bombers...and they usually have a good show every Fall. That base also has a large contingent of A-10's, and they frequently fly over our area at low altitudes....fun to watch.

Back