Things I'm not buying

My first reaction was, "Oh, how cool!" But then I started thinking about what a hazard this could be in an emergency when you had to get out quick.

Labyrinth lock:
View attachment 186334
Have to laugh. We live in the country. 2 women alone, one of us 'old' (tho i'm sure word's gotten around about how i split, stack and haul my firewood into house despite my age). We rarely lock our door--and then just a classic sliding bolt. usually against the wind so it doesn't blow open while we're asleep and one of cats or our dog get out. Zoe, a German Shepherd, is good and usually waits to be hooked up before going out---but if strange critter was in house yard after dark and door blew open she might pursue it. The cats aren't constantly trying to get out--but they do show some curiosity at times, so on windy nights especially we lock it--in the daytime i usually hear it pop open or spot it as i'm doing chores.

Last edited:
Have to laugh. We live in the country. 2 women alone, one of us 'old' (tho i'm sure word's gotten around about how i split, stack and haul my firewood into house despite my age). We rarely lock our door--and then just a classic sliding bolt. usually against the wind so it doesn't blow open while we're asleep and one of cats or our dog get out. Zoe, a German Shepherd, is good and usually waits to be hooked up before going out---but if strange critter was in house yard after dark and door blew open she might pursue it. The cats aren't constantly trying to get out--but they do show some curiosity at times, so on windy nights especially we lock it--in the daytime i usually hear it pop open or spot it as i'm doing chores.
We didn't lock our doors for 32 years. For 20 of them, we lived in a very safe town. Zero crime anywhere near where we lived. For 12 of them, we lived in the country, which turned out to be a very safe place, once I got over my fear of serial killers lurking in the woods. I read too many thrillers.

Now that my daughter and I live in town, I do keep the doors locked even though this turned out to be an area of town that is pretty darned safe. My dog is the type who will show illegal entrants the way to the good silver (not that I have any, but he's not picky about his labels). And the bat and cast iron skillet won't work to protect me if a stranger does enter my home because I am too weak right now..

We didn't lock our doors for 32 years. For 20 of them, we lived in a very safe town. Zero crime anywhere near where we lived. For 12 of them, we lived in the country, which turned out to be a very safe place, once I got over my fear of serial killers lurking in the woods. I read too many thrillers.

Now that my daughter and I live in town, I do keep the doors locked even though this turned out to be an area of town that is pretty darned safe. My dog is the type who will show illegal entrants the way to the good silver (not that I have any, but he's not picky about his labels). And the bat and cast iron skillet won't work to protect me if a stranger does enter my home because I am too weak right now..
Hopefully overtime you'll regain your strength.

While my stamina isn't what it once was, splitting hauling stacking firewood has kept my arms strong.

Reply to Wheaten Lover. I laughed when you wrote about "serial killers lurking in the bushes". I think that people get this crazy way of thinking from Hollywood movies. I have lived out in the country and I have lived in cities. If you ask my 2 cents of advice I would say that you are many times more safe in the country than in any large city. In the city, there are more nut cases than in the country and if they don't get you, the high speed traffic will. Anyway, listening to the little birdies singing is much better for your mental health than listening to 4X4 trucks with those crazy roaring mufflers or breathing exhaust flumes for years and then wondering why you got cancer.

I haven't yet been assimilated to the point where I want/need a shower curtain like this.
Cell phone and tablet -holding shower curtain
View attachment 186960
Plus we Californians have gotten skilled at taking super fast showers. Get in, wash quickly, get out. Clean water is a valuable commodity that's far too precious to waste while intentionally distracting ourselves with other tasks.

iu

Back