Things We Did and Do to Get Trough a Challenging Issue and Times

We recently moved into a new house; last year in fact. One thing that I appreciate is having a huge basement for putting extra supplies in. I am getting great ideas from reading the posts on this thread, too! We plan to get a freezer to keep in the basement.

For peace of mind, I play online Mahjong, or watch "cat TV" with my cats.

We recently moved into a new house; last year in fact. One thing that I appreciate is having a huge basement for putting extra supplies in. I am getting great ideas from reading the posts on this thread, too! We plan to get a freezer to keep in the basement.

For peace of mind, I play online Mahjong, or watch "cat TV" with my cats.
I'm in a condominium with a garage that is able I hold a smaller freezer. A little heads up is better than a panic situation, we're the odds of getting help drops.

Me and my wife have been through a tornado where our house as damaged and vehicles totaled. Other houses were totally destroyed. One part of the disaster made me realize who my real friends were. When we would try to talk to our neighbors like we had done before the tornado the neighbors would turn their backs to us and walk away. They were unsocial and would stay in their houses. It is times like those when you will realize who your friends really are.

Me and my wife have been through a tornado where our house as damaged and vehicles totaled. Other houses were totally destroyed. One part of the disaster made me realize who my real friends were. When we would try to talk to our neighbors like we had done before the tornado the neighbors would turn their backs to us and walk away. They were unsocial and would stay in their houses. It is times like those when you will realize who your friends really are.
That is so true, not everyone is that way though...

Maybe your neighbors thought that the misfortune was contagious! Seriously, that is not right.

I had the opposite experience when a large, destructive earthquake hit our area. Neighbors banded together, even those who barely knew each other. We shared whatever resources we had, watched out for one another, comforted each other's children, and so forth.

I'm sorry that your neighbors treated you so badly.

Payday was always one day away, but my buddy and I needed money right now. So we wrote each other checks for $10 ( not much now, but in 1972 that one night out). I'd deposit his check , and he would deposit mine. Then we would each withdraw $10. Yeah, one of us was going to get stiffed with a #2 NSF fee, but it was worth it. We kind of bet whether if the $2 was going to come out my account , or his. We did this a lot.

I did go through a tough period in 1976, there was a recession, and I got laid off in NYC. All I could afford to buy for groceries was Kraft macaroni & cheese. I ate it for breakfast, lunch & dinner. It was 21 cents a box. This went on for 3 weeks. After,, I couldn't eat macaroni & cheese for a good 5 years.

In the 1980s, the price of sugar went through the roof. My buddy heard that the price of salt was also going to through the roof, too. A can of salt was 9 cents, back then. He went from store to store buying up salt. He figured he'd sell the salt at inflated prices, and reap all the profits. The price never went up for decades, and he was stuck with tons of salt.

Last edited:
Such as the weather, things in the news, shortages in food, prices, getting around.

One such thing I've done is to order more than a month's supply of medication through the mail.

Purchase dried fruit and nuts for emergency meals. Have bottled water on hand, can tuna, pasta.

Having a small freezer does help, to keep a supply of dinners to just heat, no cooking.
How do you order more than a months worth of meds? Most of my meds are 30 days at a time and there is no getting any more than that.

How do you order more than a month's worth of meds? Most of my meds are 30 days at a time and there is no getting any more than that.
Ask the doctor that authorized your medication you need 3 months or if that does not work ask for a vacation supply. My insurance gives me an automatic 3 month supply.

I'm not in Medicare, so not sure how they would do it. Not sure if it would work on pain medication so I get Tylenol since I take blood thinners.

Hope that helps

I need dog food, tuna fish, and bottled water.
I can survive on that. I need pens and paper.
You'll be surprised what you can do without if needed.
Yes if you have pets get extra, for at least 3 months, then the price is going up. I keep hearing of shipping delays .

Ask the doctor that authorized your medication you need 3 months or if that does not work ask for a vacation supply. My insurance gives me an automatic 3 month supply.

I'm not in Medicare, so not sure how they would do it. Not sure if it would work on pain medication so I get Tylenol since I take blood thinners.

Hope that helps
I'm pretty sure our ins. co. won't do that. I can look into it but I doubt it. Thanks.

I prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Same here. I try to figure out what could go wrong, and try to plan for it.

I try to fix everything that breaks around the house, or the vehicles, and often I find myself doing something I've never done before. In that case, I've found that the UTube videos are the best source for "research" before I start. Even then, I try to take a few minutes break during the task, to collect my thoughts and relax a bit so I don't screw it up even worse.

Well, I cancelled our local provincial paper after reading about covid over and over. One day I counted 18 pages of Covid related news. I cancelled this paper and will never subscribe to it again. I just though that this is some sort of mental abuse and I still think it was. Come on! 18 pages? Lucky me, I cut the cable over 2 decades ago so was spared the constant propaganda photos of people with diapers on their faces. To my way of thinking, there is the real world and there is the TV/media world. I'm one of the last people that still loves the real world.

Same here. I try to figure out what could go wrong, and try to plan for it.

I try to fix everything that breaks around the house, or the vehicles, and often I find myself doing something I've never done before. In that case, I've found that the UTube videos are the best source for "research" before I start. Even then, I try to take a few minutes break during the task, to collect my thoughts and relax a bit so I don't screw it up even worse.
I agree one hundred percent......;)

Back