This is not what was in the brochure...

I think in situations like this is as a result of mixed messages we got early on .... people said this summer IF vaccinated you can go mask less so just about everyone did cause who was checking NO ONE .... Another version of the HONOR system that in this day and age simply does not work.
If a person wants to wear a mask even when others quit so be it but i think the dentist office should recognize some like yourself may not be comfortable and try to wear masks around those patients etc.
Below is a link i find a statement on this ...... First we were told masks would not make a difference and we needed to SAVE the N95 and surgical masks for medical staff...
In came everyone and their brother making CLOTH masks this was more comfortable perhaps not as difficult to breathe through etc.
Last week or so a DOCTOR on a TV interview said that cloth masks are simply face decorations and not really doing anything........ some tried to "cancel" him or debate his assessment now a week later the following article saying the SAME thing he got called out for.

Now they can blame on new variant or what ever they chose. IMO this is simply deflecting that cloth masks or other items the experts have let pass may NEVER have been a good idea and more of a placebo then science.
A better guess i suppose is many companies turned to making masks and those who bought or made their own cloth are not consuming the disposable ones to pay off those who jumped into business making them.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-health-experts-recommend-retiring-024139688.html

In my area they passed an emergency use plan and some alcohol producers made hand sanitizer..... now they MUST get rid of all supply before emergency order is up even if they end up throwing truckloads in a landfill.....
this was all people trying to gain a buck from this whole fiasco.
Maybe I should have been more clear about my dentist. She wears a mask wile doing my work. But, whenever one goes out of their house, it is a risk. I am not that happy about it but I stay home a lot.;)

I want to take the holidays off.....
When christmas becomes more of an obligation then a celebration i think people should just OPT out.
Like halloween if you did not want trick or treaters or such leave your porch light off just opt out.

christmas with grown kids :
I was told by a company hurry and order to get shipped for christmas ...........it got there on the 8th not maybe it wont make it like they were pushing in their ad. So son felt odd that items showed so early like he is obligated to reciprocate .......

#2 we need to travel across state to see daughter and family .... it is exhausting not as fun as limited things to do and is haul stuff there and other stuff back more like a chore.

#3 told me we will get together in a few weeks as they are busy with their new dog.

Now the items i will be hauling home same candies or bath soap i no longer use or want to eat but it is tradition....... i want to be pleasant i want to smile and say thanks for candy i simply do NOT enjoy .....but i am at a point in my life i would rather just say NO thanks count me OUT.
I get how this is. Sometimes it is hard to make the trip and perform obligations. Can you donate or re-gift some of the things you get? Just wondering. There may be some who have use for the gifts you don't want. Also, you might mention to relatives that instead of gifts to you that maybe they can donate the money they would have spent no matter how small. Maybe the Salvation Army is an option too. I hope your New Year is better.đź’–

Maybe I should have been more clear about my dentist. She wears a mask wile doing my work. But, whenever one goes out of their house, it is a risk. I am not that happy about it but I stay home a lot.;)
I understand i was speaking in general for the office of your dentist.
In a situation that has different reactions, I appreciate the businesses that try to walk the fine line for everyone.

I get how this is. Sometimes it is hard to make the trip and perform obligations. Can you donate or re-gift some of the things you get? Just wondering. There may be some who have use for the gifts you don't want. Also, you might mention to relatives that instead of gifts to you that maybe they can donate the money they would have spent no matter how small. Maybe the Salvation Army is an option too. I hope your New Year is better.đź’–
Not really an issue in getting rid of items i want RID of the pretense.
I can enjoy seeing family or enjoying them liking item i bought them without a gift in return.
This has been for many years not just this one. As we get older i do not need more clutter

Last edited:
Welcome to the form Jeni;
We have plants around here with huge signs along with the road or on their fence wanting workers. They are offering the same 20 to $40.00 an hr. No one is taking them. I have my own thoughts on this but I could be wrong also.

Welcome Rosie.jpg

I know exactly what you are saying! That is how my Christmas was with my husband and his super large family. I hated every minute of it. Who did all the work? The women. And they taught their kids the same thing because it was only the female teens in the kitchen helping.

I feel for you though because I am living alone and have one son who could care less about holidays, so don't have to deal with it.
IKR? As Karen Karbo put it in her book, Yeah, No. Not Happening: How I Found Happiness Swearing Off Self-Improvement and Saying F*ck It All—and How You Can Too:

"…[T]he [winter] holidays…[are], as my friend Connie says, 'an annual festival put on by women for the enjoyment of men and children.'"

Also, as the wonderful writer Jenny Lawson puts it in her book Furiously Happy:

"My primary thoughts during the holidays are 'Stab. Stab. Stab. Run away.'"

Does anyone else have moments that activities or items that once were entertaining or amusing hold no interest anymore?

I will try items be interested and then bam no longer care if i ever do it again.....
these can be hobbies friends new games or activities into it for a short time then when i try to do again i simply do not even see what ever i saw in it.

I had a short term temp job for a few months last year the manager told me if a person they hoped would retire etc he wanted to hire me immediately .... they texted and hinted maybe February ... honestly I am less then excited ... it was a ok job the people were great i just no longer have any interest in it ..... never said anything said text or call me in january now as that approaches i dread any call....
I have no idea what i want to do ... think working again will be good but dont think i want anything but temp as my give a hoot threshold is so low now.
perhaps it is a short term depression or phase but i would like to find out why this came on in the last month

today's entry 1/2/2022

on my way to sons house i thought as we drove by uncleared sidewalks Does anyone do or know the things we are expected to do?
I remember many a older person worried if they could not clear the walk .....

In many cities clearing off the sidewalk is the responsibility of a homeowner or business by rules or ordinance.... yet some seldom do it....
I live in an area that has very little snow but in the last few years more has fallen and stuck around this time we are past a week with on the ground ....

I am frustrated that the small gated community does not take care of the sidewalk in front even as it is in the city code to do so. group did a poor job even clearing by community mail area etc.

Then as we traveled a bit i see the road department did not do their portion of sidewalk across a bridge and other businesses and home owners also did not clear..
People say things like we get so little snow .... so why have in city rules if amount and some years we do not get some...
The same applied to summer........ this last summer the group managing the community scraped moss off sidewalk and threw in street. against the code but not enforced.

My point is rule if not enforced what good is a code or rule?
Yet we keep on books............... and someday they may cite property owners who may not even realize since no one cared until perhaps a revenue grab.
Why are these rules or laws kept on books?
I think like household clutter we should clear away items we NEVER plan to enforce.

1/4/2022
My hindsight may need glasses...
I am cleaning and getting rid of clutter today looking for items I know are here... somewhere. Husband moves things often.
Lots of things need to be done around the house we have one major project that went on hold due to an illness .... he is Recovered... not sure when the time is right to ask him to complete.

I am trying very hard to keep my perspective but as i keep stumbling across items thrown in wrong areas ( husband) or simply in the way i have tried to see when he became such a slob....
On a thread about who was neat one i said he WAS in the first ..... Again hindsight may be wrong No one can be this different from their younger years.
as we had kids and house and full time plus jobs etc things slack off
He would have moments that he wanted the house cleaned top to bottom.... this is still one of the kids peeves / long when i was a kid stories complaining about dads cleaning fits

Now empty nest i looked so forward to less mess ... i think we have more...% wise.
Now he cleans nothing ....throws junk and stuff in guest room without any regard..
I have enough empty boxes to build a house just flatten and recycle not that hard..... plastic packaging found behind sofa.... when he does recycle i often have to go through as some items he throws in are not accepted.
He does not help at ALL
Maybe i think he helped more prior to empty nest .....and it was kids that did more.... I am cleaning will flatten and throw boxes in recycle and will hear a list of he was saving them for shipping something.
although he previously has thrown out things of mine with no regard or asking .... these are empty boxes....
The frustration level is off the charts.....
As we have had a few other issues i looked for helpful hints to correct but the marriage advice seems to blame ME for not being VOCAL enough about putting things back in the right spot etc...... makes me more frustrated.

Writing this out in a diary does not seem to vent as sharing and perhaps getting responses

Last edited:
The brochures are selling a dream not a reality. It works for those of us who live in a fantasy world ........and many of us do.
I guess i should change my heading has nothing to do with brouchures just my way of saying things are not as it seems

So just had a few items thought i would share
Today we had a delivery and it just has the shipping label on the item...... no box/ no bubble envelope or anything
so at first i thought good no package to throw away and BONUS if porch pirates were around they could see it was nothing interesting to take :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: hope some people do not have something that should stay discreet.

this weekend my husband looked up an item on a local stores website... he drove there and after looking around asked where the item could be located..........
salesperson said " we do NOT carry that and NEVER have "
my husband told him "it is ON your website."... and showed him on his phone
sales with attitude " well i have never seen it"
husband said "never seen your website or the item? " guy walked away from my husband.
what happened to customer service......

I take part in a survey site that you earn points and can redeem for gift cards...
NOW in almost all surveys lately they ask in a few ways throughout the survey ....... something like this
ask a question about a divisive subject then continue saying we find most people NO longer READ so to prove you read the whole question pick answer B .......
evidently they have found many of their surveys to be useless as people were not reading just assuming
so if you ever question a poll or survey the people may not have READ the question

Every so often i have items that i find out and although minor i wonder "how many others see this or know this"

1. husband has a new job ... needed to take a drug test ...not a big deal ....
went to make appointment at a clinic .... and they offered all sorts of additional testing and services like they were up selling as if they were a waiter in a restaurant..... seriously are they this desperate for customers now ?

2. my son in law's brother bought a car through Carvana .... the temporary plates expired at end of January he still today in March does not have plates ...
he went through state wondering what went wrong...
The Online car groups DID not own the car they SOLD him .... an old trick of not changing title to dealership but try to just transfer from old owner to new much like the old fly by night car sales
The BBB and at least 3 state attorney generals found Carvanna and Vroom have done this to many folks ... they cannot extend the temporary tags and need to finalize ... just WHO owns this car....
he paid in full and now cannot drive it so be careful if considering these online car sales....

Making friends the hard way.............
the house next door sold in December spoke with the new owners a couple of times...
Yesterday while heading out for my daily walk the lady spoke mentioning the weather etc then said .... "you are some sort of walking fool"

I was not sure what was meant by it just said "well i have lost about 30lbs in last year just walking".......
she immediately looked down at herself as she is fairly heavy and walked away..... I think she assumed i meant something that i did not ....this will be awkward in the future

hello all,
My title is a result of recent conversations with people, some who think life works just like what they see on a glossy brochure.

Often it is not after you get into a situation that you see the glossy picture you bought into is just not so.
Insurance comes to mind as you often find out what is really covered AFTER you use it.

It has been difficult to not have people to discuss items with as many neighbors seem terrified of chatting and working from home takes all the social aspect out of work too.
I have enjoyed the past few days since i joined this forum at least as an outlet to chat and get the real information from people living in various areas.:)
I swear I thought you were quoting Billy Crystal. :ROFLMAO:

While I'm also so glad you're enjoying this forum and its truly kind, open populace. :)

Back