This is what stuff used to cost.

I remember my mom coming home from grocery shopping in the 1960s. She was flabbergasted. What is the world coming to. She just spent over $20 for a weeks worth of groceries for a family of four. Then there's a scene from " Perry Mason". A man had a big breakfast with coffee, and paid with a 25 cent piece, and got change back. It's kind of a "senior" thing to talk about how much things cost way back when. This is what stuff used to cost. What did stuff cost when you were a kid?

chevrolet-camaro-1976-1.jpg

When I was a kid my first new car was a 1976 LT Camaro that listed in those days for $4,320.00.

Today a 2020 Camaro LT1 has a starting MSRP of $34,000.00.

The thing that we rarely talk about is that it was much tougher for me to scrape up the money in 1976 than it would be today.

When I was a kid my first new car was a 1976 LT Camaro that listed in those days for $4,320.00.

The thing that we rarely talk about is that it was much tougher for me to scrape up the money in 1976 than it would be today.

My brand new 1967 Camaro was $2,800. I was 23 and fresh out of the army. Blue body with black vinyl roof. Car was gorgeous.

I remember my mom coming home from grocery shopping in the 1960s. She was flabbergasted. What is the world coming to. She just spent over $20 for a weeks worth of groceries for a family of four. Then there's a scene from " Perry Mason". A man had a big breakfast with coffee, and paid with a 25 cent piece, and got change back. It's kind of a "senior" thing to talk about how much things cost way back when. This is what stuff used to cost. What did stuff cost when you were a kid?
I recall my mom telling me how they (her and dad) could go shopping, spend $25, and leave the store with each of them carrying two large brown paper bags stuffed with groceries.

In 1970, when we moved to a new neighbourhood, the house we moved into cost a mere $3500 more than dads annual salary, $10,000 at the time. Today, where we reside (the Province of BC), the average home price is just shy of $800K, almost 9 times that of my dear husbands annual salary.

In 1963, when I was born, my mom told me a dozen flannelette diapers cost $2 (and change), In 1983, when my oldest was born, a dozen flannelette diapers cost $8.99, and in 1992, when my last was born, the same dozen diapers cost $13.99.

Gosh, and so many more...

Easier to scrape up the money, because banks hand it out quicker and easier today than ever before?

Back in the late 1950's, I was paying about $.18 for a gallon of gas....but then, I was making about $1/hr....so, I guess it's all relative.
Not relative here in Canada.

Forget the cost of goods, in 1961, Canadian families paid 33.5% of their income on taxes, in 2009, the average Canadian family paid 41.7% of their income in taxes.

I remember when our dollar was on par with the US dollar (mid 70's), Canadians used to flock to the US to shop, because a lot of goods in the US were cheaper than in Canada.

Even today, with the current exchange rate between our CAD and the USD, cheeses and paper products (just to name a couple) can be had for much cheaper in the States, than here in Canada.

I recall my mom telling me how they (her and dad) could go shopping, spend $25, and leave the store with each of them carrying two large brown paper bags stuffed with groceries.

In 1970, when we moved to a new neighbourhood, the house we moved into cost a mere $3500 more than dads annual salary, $10,000 at the time. Today, where we reside (the Province of BC), the average home price is just shy of $800K, almost 9 times that of my dear husbands annual salary.

In 1963, when I was born, my mom told me a dozen flannelette diapers cost $2 (and change), In 1983, when my oldest was born, a dozen flannelette diapers cost $8.99, and in 1992, when my last was born, the same dozen diapers cost $13.99.

Gosh, and so many more...
All I recall:
When all of us kids were still at home, my parents shopped for groceries on my father's payday after dinner. A week's worth of groceries cost $40.
When my father bought our second home- a huge house with 20+ rooms- it cost $10,000.

All I recall:
When all of us kids were still at home, my parents shopped for groceries on my father's payday after dinner. A week's worth of groceries cost $40.
When my father bought our second home- a huge house with 20+ rooms- it cost $10,000.
What I'd give to have a handful of my moms old shopping receipts today.

My first new car purchase was a VW Karmann Ghia for $3,750 in 1974.
I had just started a new job earning $212 biweekly & thought i was rolling in the dough....heh!

My first new car was a Pinto that cost (after the $200 they gave us for our old car) $1,750. The next year, we bought our first house for $17,000.

I can remember when a gallon of gas was a quarter, a White Castle hamburger was eleven cents and a McDonald's hamburger was fifteen cents.

My parents built a small house in 1949 for $2,000. After living with my grandparents for three years, they thought they owned a palace.

That is correct. You would get 25 cents for a weekly allowance and that bought a lot of candy, but how long did your father have to work for that 25 cents. We will have to look up the wages paid then. My first car was a 53 Pontiac. $2200.

My Aunt and Uncle "Lost" their house to back taxes a couple years back... Bought it just after they got married in 1962, raised their family.
We lived there a few years after my parents split.....
The neighborhood went to hell... drugs, crime run down....
And when the Property Tax became more a year than they paid for it... they let them have it....

My Aunt and Uncle "Lost" their house to back taxes a couple years back... Bought it just after they got married in 1962, raised their family.
We lived there a few years after my parents split.....
The neighborhood went to hell... drugs, crime run down....
And when the Property Tax became more a year than they paid for it... they let them have it....
Sometimes that is the best decision.

Back