Those who don't insure their pets

Rose65

I was chatting to a fellow dog walker and was surprised when she told me she's never insured him. He's an old dog now and has a heart condition and diabetes. So she's paying high costs now for ongoing treatment. That must be very hard.

I insured my dog from the start. Now she's getting old and the policy gives me peace of mind. The policy is good value, gone up of course with age, but I wouldn't dream of risking being without it. An injury or illness could cost thousands and I have known people place themselves into big debt instead of paying a reasonable sum per month.

I was chatting to a fellow dog walker and was surprised when she told me she's never insured him. He's an old dog now and has a heart condition and diabetes. So she's paying high costs now for ongoing treatment.
I think many people, especially older individuals, have a difficult time even affording healthcare, utilities, and food for themselves. If on a fixed income, even more difficult. Not having an insurance policy for pets does NOT mean those pets aren't loved and a beloved part of the family... it just means that not everyone can afford it and would prefer to find a way to pay those pet health bills if and when they arise.

I think many people, especially older individuals, have a difficult time even affording healthcare, utilities, and food for themselves. If on a fixed income, even more difficult. Not having an insurance policy for pets does NOT mean those pets aren't loved and a beloved part of the family... it just means that not everyone can afford it and would prefer to find a way to pay those pet health bills if and when they arise.
I understand of course. It's just that if the pet gets really sick, the bills are usually very high. Vets here in the UK charge a lot for everything. I have known people suddenly put thousands on their credit card for operations to save their pet and all could have been avoided by paying a monthly sum.

We have had as many as 7 dogs at one time since 1985 until last year .... We have never even considered any kind of insurance on them.
and most lived well over 10 years.
I often wonder how people with multiple pets cope with vets bills. I absolutely couldn't, I just do not have that kind of money, so I have only ever had one dog at a time and insured them.

I have known people suddenly put thousands on their credit card for operations to save their pet and all could have been avoided by paying a monthly sum.

I think a lot of things that people do pay to insure are because those things require or package in insurance -- such as the bank won't give a mortgage if a person doesn't insure their house, and we are forced to have at least some types of insurance for our cars, at work our employer included some life insurance in our benefits, etc.

Personally I haven't purchased any health insurance for any pets that I've had. Partly I figure if it is something very expensive I would have the pet put to sleep instead.

Though nowadays it seems like even minor maintenance care is ridiculously expensive, so maybe it is time to rethink it.

No insurance either. When my kitty was diabetic and lived to old age, I was making good money, her bills and visits were not bad. Of course vet costs have really gone up.

I cancelled the abdominal ultrasound they wanted to repeat for my tabby. Symptoms are the same, blood in urine. The initial ultrasound was 100% negative and I could not see putting her though it or the unnessesary expense. I'll take it issue by issue as they come up.

My calico needs to be seen again in April and probably will have blood work which is necessary since she is on prednisone. If they want to do a urinalysis, I'll say no. Her last one was negative and I don't see it as routine lab work with no symptoms. Plus it's invasive with a needle.

With all the dogs and now cats that I've had over the years, not one was covered by pet insurance. I figured I had taken the responsibility for their well being and would be diligent about their care. The day I couldn't afford their care is the day I would give up being a pet owner. All my dogs lived to a ripe old age and all my cats are thriving, even the ferals.

You just do. Over the years, we've spent thousands on our fur babies. Once you commit to rescues, you have to know you're in it for the long haul.
Same here... and we spent thousands on my dear little kitty when she was with us, too... but I'd so much rather spend that 💲💲 if/when necessary than tossing thousands away on "what if it's needed someday" and possibly never needing it.

Last edited:
I bought pet insurance 5 years ago for both my dogs and I have spent much more on premiums than I have received. As my dogs age they keep increasing the premiums. I won’t buy it again.

When I was married we rescued and had 4 dogs at once. It was expensive but my income was higher than now. There’s a reason I drive a 16 year old car-and I could have bought a few new cars for what I have spent in vet bills the past 20 years.

I have had several dogs, but only one at a time.Never had insurance on them and I don't consider it worth the money, expensive and so many exclusions.
I pay for care as I go and if and something really major happened I would weigh up whether paying for it was viable and/ or in dogs best interests or euthanasia is best at that point.

We've never had pet insurance.
Have had dozen or so dogs in our 60 years of marriage.

Both of us grew up on a farm, pets were whatever animal would let us pet them or come to us.

I think the first dog my parents had was a big black Chow they inherited from my father's aunt.
My mother was fussy about me being too friendly with it. It might bite you.
Right,,Mom he crawls under the bed when he hears thunder or gun shots.

Later I think Dad had 'hunting dog' it wasn't allowed in the house.

Mom was a softie, when a stray dog showed up , she would feed & care for it.
Some found new home a couple stayed , became house pets.

Family and friends who've had pet insurance say when their pets have gotten sick, whatever they were sick with was excluded from the policy.

I've never had pet insurance. Just paid as we went along.
Same.

My son's wife has had her cat insured since it was a few months old. Tai is 7yrs-old now, and was diagnosed with a long-term, possibly terminal illness a few months ago. My DIL has paid over $7K out-of-pocket for treatment and medications because the insurance has only covered the office visits and lab work.

(Tai is doing very well. Her vet said her chances for just showing signs of improvement were 50%. Chances of recovery are only 20%)

Family and friends who've had pet insurance say when their pets have gotten sick, whatever they were sick with was excluded from the policy.

I've never had pet insurance. Just paid as we went along.
Same here, never had pet insurance. Vet bills get higher when they are old or sickly, but we've always paid out of pocket for any expenses. I believe what you say about some policy exclusions.

Same.

My son's wife has had her cat insured since it was a few months old. Tai is 7yrs-old now, and was diagnosed with a long-term, possibly terminal illness a few months ago. My DIL has paid over $7K out-of-pocket for treatment and medications because the insurance has only covered the office visits and lab work.

(Tai is doing very well. Her vet said her chances for just showing signs of improvement were 50%. Chances of recovery are only 20%)
Thanks for sharing that, hope Tai continues to do well for as long as possible. I know you're an animal lover....much respect.

Back