Time for another Coffee Industry "study."

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
Every six months, or so, Big Coffee comes up with yet another amazing thing its product is capable of doing. Now, it apparently burns brown fat, without exercise or any other weight reduction efforts, on the part of coffee drinkers.

This is bad science: Industries pay researchers to come up with findings that are favorable to its members.

Big Chocolate is another industry that gets favorable studies carried out, and reported on, a few times a year.

These big businesses have a multitude of contacts in TV, internet and radio outlets, so you can bet the public gets BIG word of all of these favorable findings. Such findings should be taken with a grain of salt!

This free publicity shouldn't be allowed, as I see it. It only serves to give a sales boost to the backers who fund it. Thousands of studies, with far more important findings, are carried out, yearly. The public never hears of these studies, because the scientists involved in their important work don't have the mega-bucks and/or media contacts to get the needed publicity.

Both chocolate and coffee can, and do, have very negative effects on many susceptible individuals who occasionally partake of them. I know from painful experience.

(FWIW: This "earth-shattering" finding comes from a study involving nine people! Virtually ZERO studies, going on in labs across the world, coming up with results involving nine test subjects, would get any coverage/exposure, whatsoever, in our everyday world, without massive "push." This study was a major story on today's TV newscasts. Absurd!)

Last edited:
Yeh under ideal laboratory conditions in which they probably knew the outcome before the 'official' study. Have to wonder what studies any industry ignores or covers up. Also unless one fits that exact criteria or duplicates the test subjects behavior it may not apply or work for you.

One of my favorites is the fitness magazines touting someone's routine. For strength training in particular one has to remember it's as much the athletes nutrition and supplementation, repeat supplementation and not their routines which includes hours of gym time with 10 sets of this or 20 repetitions of that. Yet want to bes wonder why they get injured, don't look like a super hero or always feel tired with minimal results.

You read about these kind of studies just about every week. Hell with that. I base what I eat and drink on what I like and what has worked for myself over these many 71 years. When I think of my mom with diabetes from the age of 40 and restricted herself so much and then died with a lung disease (not a smoker for 50 years) I take it all with a great big grain of salt and eat moderately everything. And I love coffee!

Every six months, or so, Big Coffee comes up with yet another amazing thing its product is capable of doing. Now, it apparently burns brown fat, without exercise or any other weight reduction efforts, on the part of coffee drinkers.

This is bad science: Industries pay researchers to come up with findings that are favorable to its members.

Big Chocolate is another industry that gets favorable studies carried out, and reported on, a few times a year.

These big businesses have a multitude of contacts in TV, internet and radio outlets, so you can bet the public gets BIG word of all of these favorable findings. Such findings should be taken with a grain of salt!

This free publicity shouldn't be allowed, as I see it. It only serves to give a sales boost to the backers who fund it. Thousands of studies, with far more important findings, are carried out, yearly. The public never hears of these studies, because the scientists involved in their important work don't have the mega-bucks and/or media contacts to get the needed publicity.

Both chocolate and coffee can, and do, have very negative effects on many susceptible individuals who occasionally partake of them. I know from painful experience.

(FWIW: This "earth-shattering" finding comes from a study involving nine people! Virtually ZERO studies, going on in labs across the world, coming up with results involving nine test subjects, would get any coverage/exposure, whatsoever, in our everyday world, without massive "push." This study was a major story on today's TV newscasts. Absurd!)
What in the heck is "Brown fat?"

I would like to see the studies. I understand that these companies have the big bucks to back the studies. I wish I knew who to believe anymore.o_O

Back