Today in History

23 June 1683William Penn, the English Quaker, signed a treaty with chiefs of the Lenni Lenape Tribe in an attempt to ensure peace in his new American colony.
24 June.1277English King Edward I began his first campaign against the Welshfollowing Llewelyn ap Gruffydd ap Llewelyn’s refusal to pay him homage.

Eton College founded by Henry VI
actress Mary Pickford becomes 1st female movie star to get a million dollar contract
TV cameras used for the first time at Republican convention in Philadephia

Battle of Little Big Horn,under Major George Custer's command 7thU.S. Cavarly kill Sioux& Cheynnne warriors incl Chief Crazy Horse,Sitting Bull

June 26th
the toothbrush is invented in China using boar bristles
The Victora&Albert Musuem opens in London{ On a personal note,my older sister,Mary takes courses there during the year}

Battle of Little Big Horn,under Major George Custer's command 7thU.S. Cavarly kill Sioux& Cheynnne warriors incl Chief Crazy Horse,Sitting Bull
For clarification, Crazy horse died in 1877 and Sitting Bull died in 1890. Cavalry deaths from the battle outnumbered Indian deaths by nearly ten to one.

• 1974 The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
  • 1975 Two FBI agents and a member of the American Indian Movement are killed in a shootout on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota; Leonard Peltier is later convicted of the murders in a controversial trial.
  • 1990 122°F in Phoenix Arizona

For clarification, Crazy horse died in 1877 and Sitting Bull died in 1890. Cavalry deaths from the battle outnumbered Indian deaths by nearly ten to one.

Hi Tommy,I was going by what the history calendar said,obviously they got it wrong too,thanks for the clarifaction Sue

June 27
Annie Londonerry becomes 1st woman to bicycle around the world,she completes her journey in Sept '95
the world's first ATM installed in Enfield,England
US. Supreme Court allows lawyers to advertise

Labor Day established as a holiday for U.S. federal employees
Pres Franklin Roosevelt orders a federal gold vault be built Fort Knox,Kentucky
Christine Lagarde becomes first woman elected as head International Monetary Fund

June 29th
June 29th
ON THIS DAY// On this day in 2013, @GGWagg took 5⃣ wickets in a T20 as he recorded figures of 5/14 against @WorcsCCC!

Waggy removed Moeen Ali, Thilan Samaraweera and Gareth Andrew before returning to mop up the tail ��

And I was there!

U.S. National Forest Service is organized
Civil Rights Act is passed in U.S. Senate after a 83 day filibuster
Bernie Madoff is sentenced to 105yrs in prison for conducting his massive Ponzi scheme

June 30th
Charles Blondin crossed Niagara Falls on a tightrope
London Tower Bridge opens
The 1st Chevy Corvette was manufactured

July 1st
The 1st U.S. Summer Olympic Games was held in St.Louis
S.O.S. distress signal becomes the worldwide standard for help
Sony introduces'The Walkman' portable cassette player,over the next 2 decades,over 400 million would be sold

July 3rd
3 July. 1996 It was confirmed that the Stone of Scone, the symbol of the Scottish nation taken by Edward I of England in 1296, was to be returned to Scotland from Westminster Abbey where it has been used in the coronation of 30 British monarchs.

Battle of Gettsyburg ends major victory for the Union during U.S. Civil War
U.S. veterans Adminstration created

Back