Today in History

August 4th
1963 – Final Beatles’ performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club.
THE COMPLETE BEATLES CAVERN TRACK LISTING!

A young teenager who was a regular patron at the Cavern, wrote down the songs on paper and later presented it to Cavern D.J. Bob Wooler. Here is the track listing that she compiled:
Ain’t She Sweet (John)
Johnny B.Goode (John)
Sheik Of Araby (George)
Anna (John)
Kansas City (Paul)
Sheila (George)
Baby It’s You (John)
Keep Your Hands Off My Baby (John)
Shimmy Shimmy (John)
Beatle Bop (Instrumental)
Lend Me Your Comb (John)
Shine (George)
Beautiful Dreamer (Paul)
Like Dreamers Do (Paul)
Shot Of Rhythm And Blues (John/Paul)
Besame Mucho(Paul)
Locomotion (John)
Slow Down (John)
Boys (Ringo)
Long Tall Sally (Paul)
Soldier Of Love (John)
Chains (George)
Love Me Tender (Stuart)
Some Other Guy (John/Paul)
Clarabella (Paul)
Love Of The Loved (Paul)
Stand By Me (John)
Claudette (Paul)
Loving You (Paul)
Sure To Fall (Paul)
Darktown Strutters Ball (George)
Lucille (Paul)
Sweet Little Sixteen (John)
Don’t Ever Change (George/Paul)
Matchbox (Pete or Ringo)
Talkin’ ‘Bout You (John)
Dream (George)
Maybellene (John)
A Taste Of Honey (Paul)
Dream Baby (Paul)
Memphis (John)
Three Cool Cats (George)
Falling In Love (George)
Money (John)
Till There Was You (Paul)
Glad All Over (George)
Mr. Moonlight (John)
Time (George)<
Hello Little Girl (John)
My Bonnie
Tip Of My Tongue (Paul)
Hey Baby (Paul)
Nothin’ Shakin'(George)
To Know Her Is To Love Her (John)
Hey Good Lookin’ (George)
Oh! My Soul(Paul)
Too Much Monkey Business (John)
Hey Hey Hey Hey (Paul)
Open (George)
Tutti Frutti (Paul)
Hippy Hippy Shake (Paul)
Over The Rainbow (Paul)
Twist And Shout (John)
Honeymoon Song (Paul)
Picture Of You (George)
What A Crazy World (George)
Hully Gully (John)
Pinwheel Twist (Instrumental)
What’d I Say (Paul)
I Call Your Name (John)
Please Mr. Postman (John)
What’s Your Name (John)
I Forgot To Remember To Forget (George)
Quarter To Three (Paul/John)
Where Have You Been (John)
If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody (John/Paul)
Rip It Up (Paul)
Wooden Hea[r]t (Paul)
I’m A Hog For You Baby (Paul/John)
Red Hot (George)
Yakety Yak (George/John)
I’m Gonna Sit Right Down & Cry (John)
Red Sails In The Sunset (Paul)
You Better Move On (John)
I’m Henry The Eighth (George)
Roll Over Beethoven (George)
Young Blood (George)
I Remember You (Paul)
The Saints
Your Feet’s Too Big (John/Paul)
It’s Now Or Never (Paul)
Save The Last Dance For Me

The 1st issue of Saturday Evening Post Magazine introduced
U.S.Gov't collects 1st income tax
British Red Cross Society forms

August 5th
2000 – DirecTV broadcasts the 1939 film “The Wizard Of Oz,” with Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side Of The Moon” in sync on the alternate Second Audio Program (SAP). While no one involved with Pink Floyd has ever admitted to any link between the bands seminal 1973 album and the classic film, urban legend purports that the album was conceived as an alternate soundtrack to Dorothy’s adventures in Oz.
Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd) is the name used to refer to the act of listening to the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon while watching the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz for moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film’s song “Over the Rainbow”. It is also a reference to the rainbow from a prism design on the cover of the Pink Floyd album.
http://www.thisdayinrock.com/index.php/general/2000-directv-broadcasts-the-1939-film-the-wizar/

August 5th
2000 – DirecTV broadcasts the 1939 film “The Wizard Of Oz,” with Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side Of The Moon” in sync on the alternate Second Audio Program (SAP). While no one involved with Pink Floyd has ever admitted to any link between the bands seminal 1973 album and the classic film, urban legend purports that the album was conceived as an alternate soundtrack to Dorothy’s adventures in Oz.
Dark Side of the Rainbow (also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd) is the name used to refer to the act of listening to the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon while watching the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz for moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film’s song “Over the Rainbow”. It is also a reference to the rainbow from a prism design on the cover of the Pink Floyd album.
http://www.thisdayinrock.com/index.php/general/2000-directv-broadcasts-the-1939-film-the-wizar/
This is interesting. I never heard about this before. I found some things on YouTube that I'll watch later. Thanks, Furry.

Last edited:
August 6th
6 Aug, 1971 - England Chay Blyth
6th August, 1971 : Chay Blyth docks his yacht British Steel at the Hamble in Hampshire on the south coast after a voyage of 292 days and becomes the first man to sail round the world non-stop in the "wrong" direction - east to west - against the prevailing winds and currents.

Gertrude Ederle becomes the 1st American woman to swim the English Channel
1945The atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshmia by US B-29'Enola Gray'
Chubby Checker performs "The Twist' for 1st time on American Bandstand which starts a worldwide dance craze

August 7th1840aBritain bans the employment of children as chimney sweeps.
A climbing boy, also known as a chimney sweep, was an occupation some children performed during the 1700 and 1800s. Climbing boys were frequently orphans and as young as three years old. Small size was a requirement for chimney sweeps, and for that reason many climbing boys outgrew their job by the time they were nine or ten, although some worked until they were fourteen years old. In order to stay a chimney sweep longer, master chimney sweeps often underfed their charges so that they could continue to nimbly maneuver up and down the stacks that were often at times no larger than a mere 7 inches square.
https://www.geriwalton.com/climbing-boys/

Last edited:
Pres George Washington creates the Purple Heart Medal,original name was Badge of Military Merit
The Peace Bridge between U.S and Canada is dedicated.On a personal note,I live 10min from the bridge
French stuntman,Phillipe Petit walked on a tightrope between the twin towers at NYC's World Trade Center

Congress overwhelming votes for the dollar to be the monetary unit for U.S.
Brigham Young chosen as head of Mormon Church following the death of founder,Joseph
Smith
The Kingsmen release single'Louie,Louie',radio stations consider it obscene

On This Day - 9th August
www.beautifulbritain.co.uk
Prisoners at Newgate Jail were used as 'guinea pigs' to test vaccines used against disease.

Thomas Telford, Scottish civil engineer was born. He built the Menai suspension bridge in Wales (see ©BB picture), plus a further 1200 bridges and more than 1000 miles of roads in Britain. The new town of Telford in Shropshire is named after him and there is a statue of him in the town. See ©BB picture.

Horatio Nelson captured from the French, the island of Elba, to which Napoleon Bonaparte was later exiled.

The Elementary Education Act was passed. It gave compulsory, free education to every child in England and Wales between the age of five and 13.

Following a six-week delay due to an emergency appendectomy, Edward VII was crowned in Westminster Abbey following the death of his mother Queen Victoria. Edward was the first British monarch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, which was renamed the House of Windsor by his son, George V.

Robert Baden-Powell's first Boy Scout encampment concluded at Brownsea Island in Dorset. The experimental camp developed into the worldwide Scouts and Guides organizations.

The Sistine Chapel at the Vatican opens
The Ship,Columbia returns to Boston harbor after sailing a 3 yr voyage around the world.Its the 1st ship to carry the American flag
Betty Boop debuts in Max Fleischer's animated cartoon,"Dizzy Dishes"
Pres. Richard Nixon resigns,V.P. Gerald Ford sworn in to replace him

Aug 10th
U.S. Congress passes act that establishes the Smithsonian which is now the world's largest museum and research complex
OB Brown patents moving picture projector
Allen Funt's TV show,'Candid Camera debuts on ABC,orignial title was'Candid Microphone'
Ruth Bader Ginsburg sworn in as U.S. Supreme Court Justice

August 11th
1968 – The Beatles release “Hey Jude,” their first single to bear the Apple imprint. The single, backed with “Revolution,” goes to No. 1 inBritain .today marks the start of National Apple Week, named in honor of the Beatles’ fledgling record label.

Harvey Hubbell receives a patent for the electric light bulb socket with a pull chain
Alcatraz begins to receive prisoners for the 1st time in San Francisco Bay
The 1st major league baseball game televised in color on WCBS{NYC} Brooklyn Dodgers vs. Boston Braves. Dodgers won 8-1
The Beatles begin their last tour in U.S.

Back