Today in History

Personally, I like seeing the pictures. Not sure why it would be a problem.
Buckeye,when I started this thread 2 yrs ago I didn't include pictures because I prefer it that way
I got no complaints from others who were posting here
A couple weeks ago when I came to post here,I did not recognize my thread,it was 'hijacked' by others with endless pictures,taking up an entire page of info which really made me angry
I needed to tell other posters why I was so upset to please stop using pictures, use just a couple sentences to describe the history event
I've notice another poster has started a new history thread with pictures,good for her

Feb 11th
Vatican City,the world's smallest country is made enclave of Rome
the Declaration of Liberated Europe is signed by Pres. Franklin Roosevelt,Winston Churchill,Joseph Stalin after the Yalta Conference
Nelson Mandela, leader of South African anti aparteid movement is released from prision after 27 yrs
Francesco Scheltino, the Captain of the Costa Concordia,the Italian Cruise Ship that ran aground after hitting rocks off the coast of Giglio Island in the Tyrrhenian Sea in 2012 was convicted&sentenced to 16 yrs in prison.4,200 people were rescued,sadly 32 people died

Buckeye,when I started this thread 2 yrs ago I didn't include pictures because I prefer it that way
I got no complaints from others who were posting here
A couple weeks ago when I came to post here,I did not recognize my thread,it was 'hijacked' by others with endless pictures,taking up an entire page of info which really made me angry
I needed to tell other posters why I was so upset to please stop using pictures, use just a couple sentences to describe the history event
I've notice another poster has started a new history thread with pictures,good for her
AFAIK, being the OP doesn't give you editorial or ownership rights, and you can't claim it as "my thread". Pictures and extended explanation of an historic event should be seen as a plus. As long as folks are staying on topic (today in history type posts) all should be good.

btw, on page one of this thread, post #3 and #11 both contain pictures..

But that's just me. Have a nice day.

12th February

1808 A mortar-fired lifeline was used for the first time to save a person from a shipwreck at Gorleston. It was invented by George William Manby who lived in the Norfolk village of Hilgay.

1932 Ramsay MacDonald introduced a bill to improve youth courts, raise the age of juveniles and ban whipping of under 14s.

1994 One hundred people made history by walking from France to England for the first time in millions of years. Each represented charities and voluntary organisations and walked the 31 mile Channel Tunnel which took, on average, 13 hours to complete.

2017 Elaine Hopley, a 45 year old Scottih mother of two, broke the solo female record in a prestigious rowing race across the Atlantic. Her time for the event, dubbed "the world's toughest row", was 59 days, 19 hours and 14 minutes. She was raising money for Alzheimer Scotland and completed the challenge in her boat Jan, named after her mother.

The National Association for Advancement of Colored People{NAACP} is formed
George Gershwin's 'Rhapsody in Blue" premieres at a 'Experiment in Modern Music' concert held by Paul Whiteman&his Orchestra in NYC
The Beatles 1st 2 shows in NYC were held at Carneige Hall
Fiji becomes the 1st country to ratify the United Nations Climate deal which was signed in Paris,France in Dec'15

Feb 13th
work begins to cover the Senne,burying Brussel's river and creating modern central boulevards
American Society of Composers,Authors,Publishers{ASCAP} founded in New York City
Allied troops begin bombing Dresden,Germany,a firestorm result and 22,000 people die
Fran Sinatra launches Reprise Label under Warner Brothers Records
the last original "Peanuts' comic strip appears in newspapers 1 day after creator/cartoonist,Charles'Sparky' Schultz dies

13th Feb

1542 Catherine Howard, the fifth wife of Henry VIII was executed for adultery..

1948 The Science Museum in London announced that it would return the Wright Brothers biplane, Kitty Hawk, to the Smithsonian Institution.

1987 London's property boom resulted in a 5ft 6in x 11ft broom cupboard oppiste Harrods being offered for sale at £36,500 - over £600 per square foot.

1477 Marjery Brews sent a letter to John Paston in Norfolk, pleading with him not to give her up, despite her parents' refusal to increase her dowry. Addressing her "ryght welebeloued Voluntyne" (right well-beloved Valentine), she promised to be a good wife, adding: "Yf that ye loffe me as Itryste verely that ye do ye will not leffe me" (If you love me, I trust.. you will not leave me). 💘 It is the oldest known Valentine's Day message in the English language and was uncovered by the British library.

1779 Captain Cook, British explorer, navigator and cartographer, was stabbed to death on the beach at Kealakekua (Hawaii).

1852 London's famous children's hospital in Great Ormond Street accepted its first patient, three year old Eliza Armstrong. It was the first hospital in the English speaking world providing in-patient beds specifically for children.

apple parer patented by Moses Coats in Dowington,PA
United Parcel Service{UPS} is formed
U.S. First Lady,Jacqueline Kennedy gives a tour of a renovated White House. It orignally aired on CBS&,NBC,4 days later ABC showed it. 80 million viewers tuned in
at the Sarajevo Winter Olympics,Britain's ice dancers,Christopher Dean&Jayne Torvell famously skated in the free dance routine to Maurice Ravel's 'Bolero'.They received perfect 9's for artistic impression

15th February

1928 After some 70 years of work, the 1st Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary was completed.

1952 King George VI was laid to rest in St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

1971 The British Government launched a new decimal currency. The familiar £ s d was to be phased out in the space of 18 months in favour of a system with 100 pennies to the pound rather than 240. Prior to 1971, there were 12 pennies to the shilling and 20 shillings to the pound. There were guineas, half crowns, threepenny bits, sixpences and florins. This old system of currency, known as pounds, shillings and pence dated back to Roman times...

16th February

1659 The first British cheque (for £10) was written by Nicholas Vanacker and is now in the archives of the National Westminster Bank.

1801 Pitt (the Younger) resigned as British Prime Minister when George III rejected his plans for the emancipation of Irish Catholics.

1923 Howard Carter, having discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun 12 months previously, lifted the lid off the sarcophagus to reveal a golden effigy of the young king.

1940 Word War II: In a daring night raid, known as the Altmark incident, a boarding party from HMS Cossak successfully rescued 299 British prisoners of war from the Altmark, a 12,000 ton German tanker, in Norwegian waters.

American naval officer/explorer,Charles Wilkes discovers Shackleton Ice Shelf in Antarctica
Dupont Corp patents nylon which was developed by employee,Wallace Carothers
Bill Johnson becomes the 1st U.S. skier to win downhill skiing gold medal at the Sajaveo Winter Olympic Games. He defeated Swiss skier,Peter Muller by 0.27secs
The last Mobile Army Surgicial Hosptial{MASH} is decommissioned by U.S. Army

17th February

1883 Mr A. Ashwell of Herne Hill, south London, patented Vacant-Engaged signs for toilet doors.

1938 A surprise item was shown at the Dominion Theatre, London. It was the first public, experimental demonstration of Baird colour television on a big 12 ft x 9 ft screen. Transmitted from Crystal Palace, the short programme consisted of fashion plates and a cartoon.

1958 The Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) was formed in Britain.

2005 Hunting with dogs became illegal in Britain at midnight.

1673 French dramatist Molière collapses on stage during a performance of Le Malade Imaginaire and dies a few hours later

1867 The first ship to pass through the Suez Canal starts its journey through the canal

1904 Puccini's opera Madama Butterfly has its premier and is a total fiasco

1934 King Albert I of Belgium dies in a climbing accident

1941 Singer Gene Pitney is born

2008 Kosovo declares its independence from Serbia. Only 81 member states of the UN have acknowledged this

1966 and every year since then, my name's day

Treaty of Ghent ratified by U.S. Senate is signed by Pres. James Madison ending War of 1812 a month after it was ratified in Europe
"The Phantom' ,world's 1st superhero ,cartoon strip created by Lee Falk debuts in comics
Volkswagen's 'Beetle' becomes the world's best selling car replacing Ford's Model T
Murray Haydon,retired auto worker becomes 3rd person to receive Jarvik-7 artifical heart.He lived for 488 days,died age 59

This day in History 18th Of February

1911 - U.S.A. Electric Start

The First Electric Self Start was installed in a Cadillac By GM. Up till this time and all cars needed to be started by cranking a starting handle which was hard work and caused multiple minor injuries when the car backfired during the starting process.

Chicago Nightclub Stampede
2003 : 21 people are killed in a stampede at the crowded "The Epitome" nightclub in Chicago.

U.S.A. Blaine Act
1933 : After many years of prohibition in the United States the senate passed the Blaine Act which would signal the end of prohibition after many dry years.

Haiti Ferry Disaster
1993 : The Neptune, a passenger ferry, had sunk after it had overturned . Approximately 900 people had drowned.

China Invades Vietnam
1979 : As of the Vietnam War was not enough, the country of China had invaded Vietnam during this year, on this date. Tensions between these two countries had increased dramatically since the end of the Vietnam War. A major reason for the increased animosity between these two nations was because of the strengthening of the ties between Vietnam and the Soviet Union (China’s enemy at the time). The Invasion of Vietnam by China was in reaction to an invasion of Cambodia initiated by Vietnam. The worst and bloodiest of fighting occurred within the first nine days of this battle. However, these countries remained cold towards one another for ten years after this fierce battle. China invaded Vietnam with 90,000 troops supported by tanks, the invasion was short lived and China withdrew from Vietnam within 1 month.

1678 Pilgrim's Progress was published. John Bunyan started writing it during his second term in prison, for preaching on behalf of the Baptists.

1901 Winston Churchill made his maiden speech in the House of Commons.

1946 Sailors of the Royal Indian Navy mutitined in Mumbai harbour, from where it spread throughout British India. The mutiny involved 78 ships, 20 shore establishments and 20,000 sailors.

1969 Hundreds of people clamoured to see the marriage of pop stars Lulu and Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees in a Buckinghamshire church

1981 Oxford University announced that Sue Brown would beceom the first woman cox in the history of the University Boat Race.

1516 Queen Mary I (Bloody Mary) of England is born

1546 Martin Luther dies

1564 Michelangelo dies

1861 Jefferson Davis is inaugurated as President of the Confederacy

1898 Enzo Ferrari is born

1911 First official flight with airmail takes place in India

1931 Toni Morrison is born

1954 John Travolta is born

Feb 18th
sculptor,Fredric-Auguste Bartholdi is awarded a patent for his design of Statue of Liberty
Canada and U.S. begin diplomatic relations
U.S. astronomer,Clyde Tombaugh discovers planet,Pluto
anti-smoking ads appear on TV featuring actor,Yul Brynner
He died in Oct 1985 of smoking -induced lung cancer

This day in History 19th of February

1942 President Roosevelt signs Executive Order 9066

2004 Former Enron Corp. chief executive Jeffrey Skilling is charged

2008 Fidel Castro retires as President of Cuba

Back