Today in History

1933 For the first time, a BBC-broadcasted appeal was used by the police in tracking down a wanted man (murder suspect Stanley Hobday).

1973 Princess Anne visited Russia, to ride for Britain in an equestrian event, thus becoming the first member of the Royal Family to visit the country.

1981 For the third time in 10 days, a world record in the mile run was set. Sebastian Coe, who broke Steve Ovett's record on August 19th and lost it to Ovett on August 26th , broke it again - by a full second - in Brussels, Belgium. Coe's new record time was 3:47.33.

1996 The divorce of Charles, the Prince of Wales, and Princess Diana was finalized in a decree absolute issued in London's High Court. Under the terms of the divorce settlement, Diana was stripped of her 'Royal Highness' title.

One Eye Diva,I didn't start my thread'Today in History' yrs ago it was Feb 22,2019
I'll continue posting there since I can't provide videos like you can
Moviequeen...when I did a SF search, I found this one from 2014. So I just clicked on it.
https://www.seniorforums.com/threads/this-day-in-history.6043/
I thought I had seen a more recent one (yours I guess) but it didn't come up, at least I didn't see it. Of course....we can use yours or mine.

Aug 29th
the final episode of'The Fugitive' '63-'67 aired drawing in 78 million viewers
David Janssen played'Dr Richard Kimble' who was falsely accused/ convicted of killing his wife.The real killer was the'One Armed Man'
the former 'American Bandstand' studio was placed on the National Register of Historic Places
Hurricane Katrina makes 2nd,&3rd landfall as a category 3 hurricane destorying much of U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisana-Fla panhandle over 1,836 people died $ 115 billion in damage

29th August

1842 The Treaty of Nanking was signed between the British and the Chinese, ending the Opium War, and leasing the Hong Kong territories to Britain.

1918 Britain’s first police strike began at midnight, as 6000 policemen campaigned for better pay.

1966 British group The Beatles gave their last live concert performance to a crowd of around 25,000 at Candlestick Park, San Francisco, USA.

1791 HMS Pandora, the ship sent in 1790 to search for the Bounty and the mutineers who had taken her, sank after having run aground on a reef the previous day.

1860 The first British tramway, operated by the Birkenhead Street Railway, was inaugurated by an American, George Francis Train.

1901 Scottish inventor Hubert Cecil Booth patented the vacuum cleaner.

1939 In anticipation of German bombing, the great evacuation of children from British cities began, four days before the outbreak of World War II.

Aug 31st
1st major earthquake recorded in Charleston,South Carolina 110 people died
California offically became the most populated state in U.S.
George Harrison was found guilty of 'subconcious' plagerizing "My Sweet Lord' from the 1962 song'He's So Fine' by the Chiffons.He had to pay $1,599,987
Edvard Munch's famous painting'The Scream' which was stolen on Aug 22,2004 was recovered in a raid by Norwegian police.The painting was found in good condtion

1888 The body of Mary Ann 'Polly' Nichols, the first victim of Jack the Ripper, was found mutilated in Buck's Row, London.

1900 Coca Cola first went on sale in Britain, fourteen years after it was first sold in the U.S.A. Charles Chandler, the eldest son of the founder came to Britain with a jug of cola syrup. It proved so popular that five more gallons were ordered immediately from America.

1997 Diana, Princess of Wales, her companion Dodi Fayed, and their driver were killed in a car crash in the Place de l'Alma underpass in Paris, France. Tests conducted by French police indicated that the driver was intoxicated, may have been travelling at over 100 mph and likely caused the accident while trying to escape the paparazzi photographers.

Sept 2nd
Holocaust diarist,Anne Frank sent to Auschwitz concentration camp
NBC,CBS expand their nightly network news from 15 min to 30
The 1st U.S. automatic teller machine{ATM} installed in Rockville Center,NY
Pres.Gerald Ford signs the Employee Retirement Income Security Act

1666 The Great Fire of London began in a baker's shop in Pudding Lane, and rapidly spread throughout the city, destroying most of London's buildings and houses. Although 13,000 buildings were destroyed in the four-day blaze only six people died.

1752 The Julian calendar was used in Britain and the Colonies 'officially' for the last time, almost two centuries after most of Western Europe had adopted the Gregorian calendar. As in the rest of Europe, the following day in Britain became 14th September.

Sept 3rd
U.S. gives Great Britain 50 destroyers in exchange for Newfoundland base lease
Pres.Lyndon Johnson signed into law the Wilderness Act.It instructed federal land management agencies inc National Park Service to manage& protect wilderness areas
the last episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore' show '70-'77 aired.The remaining cast members still with us are:
Ed Asner-"Lou Grant',Gavin McLeod'Murray',Betty White'Sue Ann Nivens',Cloris Leachman'Phyliss'

1783 Britain finally recognised the United States of America by signing the Treaty of Paris which officially ended the American War of Independence.

1916 Captain Leefe Robinson became the first pilot to shoot down a Zeppelin airship - during a German air raid on London in World War I. The airship caught fire after being attacked and crashed at Cuffley in Hertfordshire. Robinson was later awarded the Victoria Cross.

1939 British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, in a radio broadcast, announced that Britain and France had declared war on Germany. He formed an all-party War Cabinet with Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty.

Sept 4th
Los Angeles,Calif is founded by Spanish settlers
George Eastman patents the 1st roll-film camera and registers it as 'Kodak"
U.S. swimmer,Mark Spitz becomes the 1st athlete to win 7 gold medals at the Summer Olympic Games in Munich,Germany
Google is formally incorporated by 2 Stanford Univ students, Larry Page,Sergy Bien

1609 English navigator Henry Hudson, working for the Dutch East India Company, arrived at the island of Manhattan, before sailing up the river that now bears his name.

1815 Sir Humphrey Davy invented the miner's safety lamp.

1884 Britain stopped sending convicts to New South Wales in Australia.

Sept 5th
A meeting convened Carpenter's Hall in Philadelphia with delegates of 12/13 British colonies which later became United States.Philadelphia was the 1st capital of U.S.
the world's longest road tunnel,St Gotthard opens in Switzerland
American Bandstand hosted by Dick Clark was cancelled after 30 yrs on TV
Baltimore Oriole player,Cal Ripken,Jr tied Lou Gehrig's record of playing in 2,130 straight games

1174 Canterbury Cathedral was destroyed by fire.

1666 The end of the Great Fire of London, that had started on 2nd September at the bakery of Thomas Farriner on Pudding Lane. 10,000 buildings including St. Paul's Cathedral had been destroyed, but only 6 people are known to have died.

1959 The first trunk dialling system from a public call-box was launched during a ceremonial phone call from Bristol to London.

1979 The BBC began broadcasting the hit American series 'Dallas' which soon became one of the most popular programmes on British TV.

Sept 6th
Pres William McKinley was shot while visiting the Pan American Expo in Buffalo,NY. He was 6 months into his 2nd term as President.He died on Sept 14th,his Vice President,Theodore Roosevelt was sworn to replace him
The 1st true self service supermarket 'Piggly Wiggly' was opened by Clarence Saunders in Memphis,Tenn.The store had check out stands,shopping carts.Saunders patented'self serving store' in 1917
Eric Clapton records guitar tracks for George Harrison's song'While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Back