Today in History

moviequeen1

I'd thought it would be interesting/fun to start an on going thread'Today in History'.The events can be from years ago,or present day
I'll start with today,Feb 22nd:
1935-airplanes no longer were permitted to fly over the White House- I did not know this
1956-Elvis Presley 1st hit on music charts was'Heartbreak Hotel'
1980-the Winter Olympics at Lake PLacid,the'Miracle on Ice' men's hockey team,beat heavily favored Russians in semi final,4-3.Its one of the biggest upsets in Olympic history.The team went on to win the gold medal
1997- 'Dolly the Sheep',the 1st cloned mammal was announced to the world
feel free to post here whenever you like Sue

1371 - King Robert II of Scotland succeeded to the throne, beginning the Stuart dynasty.

1857 The birth of Sir Robert (Stephenson Smyth) Baden-Powell, English hero of the siege of Mafeking during the Boer War.

1908 John Mills, English film and television actor, was born.

1969 - The last time all four Beatles were together for a recording session.

I remember the 1980 "Miracle in Ice" ! Was a great coup & we had a special love for Hockey & the Lake Placid area. In 1978 my son & I went to Lake Placid to see some parts of the olympics venue that was under construction, in the course of traveling to look at colleges. Got to see the Bob sled run up close; not as much the other parts but it was a thrill to be on the grounds with hardly anyone there.
I remember Dolly the sheep too!

Feb 23rd:
1836-seige of Alamo begins in San Antonio,TX
1896- Tootsie Roll candy is introduced
1904- U.S, acquires control of Panama Canal Zone
1945-WWII Iwo Jima Flag is raised
1954- 1st polio vaccines are given to elementary school kids in Pittsburg,Pa

[h=3]1901[/h] Britain and Germany agree on a boundary between German East Africa and Nyasaland.
[h=3]1904[/h] Japan guarantees Korean sovereignty in exchange for military assistance.

[h=3]1916[/h] Secretary of State Lansing hints that the U.S. may have to abandon the policy of avoiding "entangling foreign alliances".

[h=3]1921[/h] An airmail plane sets a record of 33 hours and 20 minutes from San Francisco to New York.

[h=3]1926[/h] President Calvin Coolidge opposes a large air force, believing it would be a menace to world peace.

I think I'm a day late, but here it is. 1974 - The release of David Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" in the UK. A different version was later released in the US, but then withdrawn and replaced with the UK version.

"You got your mother in a whirl
She not sure if you're a boy or a girl"

Last edited:
Feb 25th:
1862- Congress passes 1st Legal Tender Act,1st paper money that was legal in U.S.
1950- "Your Show of Shows' starring Sid Ceasar,Imogene Coca premieres on NBC
1957-Buddy Holly&The Crickets record'That'll Be the Day'

Feb 26th
John Harvey Kellogg
KelloggJohnThm.jpg

(source)
Died 14 Dec 1943 at age 91 (born 26 Feb 1852). quotes
American physician and health-food pioneer whose development of dry breakfast cereals was largely responsible for the creation of the flaked-cereal industry. In 1876, at age 24, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg became the staff physician at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, a position he would hold for 62 years. His surgical skill was admired by the Doctors Mayo. A vegetarian, he advocated low calorie diets and developed peanut butter, granola, and toasted flakes. He warned that smoking caused lung cancer decades before this link was studied. Kellogg was an early advocate of exercise. It was his brother, William K. Kellogg who sweetened the flakes with malt, and began commercial production as the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company (1906).​

1827- the first Mardi Gras celebration was held in New Orleans
1902- writer John Steinbeck was born
1974- People Magazine debuts on news stands,with Mia Farrow on the cover.She was dressed as 'Daisy' in the movie'The Great Gatsby' co starring Robert Redford.I remember this because I bought the 1st issue.The price of mag was .35, times have changed,now its $5.I've been a subscriber on/off over the years

1900 The British Labour Party was founded.

1932 The birth, in London, of the film actress Elizabeth Taylor.

1991 The Gulf War came to an end with the liberation of Kuwait & the retreat of Iraqi forces.

Feb 28th:
1066- Westminster Abbey opens
1940-first college basketball game is televised from Madison Square Garden,Fordham vs. Univ of Pittsburgh
1983- final episode of CBS long running TV show M*A*S*H with 106 million viewers.Its still the highest record for a series finale
1984- Michael Jackson wins 8 Grammys for album'Thriller'
1991- first Gulf War ends
Broadway actress/singer,Bernadette Peters is 71 today

1784 - John Wesley signed the deed of declaration which established the Wesleyan faith. It has been called the Magna Carta of Methodism.

1942 - The birth of Brian Jones, English musician and a founding member of The Rolling Stones.

1966 - The Cavern Club, Liverpool, where the Beatles and other pop groups began, was forced into liquidation.

March 1st:
1692- Salem,Mass witch trials begin
1870- Yellowstone becomes the world's first National Park
1936- Hoover Dam is completed
1941- the first FM radio station begins broadcasting in Nashville,Tenn
1961- Pres. Kennedy established the Peace Corps
1988,-hockey legend,Wayne Gretzky{Edmonton Oilers} gets his 1,050th assist to become all time NHL assist leader

March 1st
1966 - UK To Go Decimal 1971
1966 : The Chancellor of the Exchequer, James Callaghan, has confirmed the decision to change over to decimal coinage in 1971.

Back