Toilet Bowl Cleaner

I have very hard water, too, and love The Works. I only use the pumice stone when I have no choice.
Cat, hub just reminded me we only use The Works & a brush. It foams up and does a great job on the old mildew and scale build up. No pumice stone except on one old "abused" toilet...lol. I stand corrected. He says "its the best"!

I'm hoping that the bleach users remember - certain chemicals mixed with beach can make bad things in the air. The kind that knock you out.
This is VERY embarrassing, but here it goes. I once put some bleach into the toilet bowl. Then later on I went to pee, and the fumes!!! Cough, cough, cough! Learned that bleach and pee don't mix. :sick:

We only have a very mild one, not the kind you are talking about. Know what you mean about the old ones. If you use The Works, you don't have to even use one. We have a very old toilet - a powder room one that we have used it on for years - never had any issues, except we'd get too busy to deep clean on a regular basis.
It's probably OK on an older toilet. But newer ones have a "Sani Gloss" finish in the bowl that keeps the bowl cleaner. I replaced all four toilets & that finish works very well.

It's probably OK on an older toilet. But newer ones have a "Sani Gloss" finish in the bowl that keeps the bowl cleaner. I replaced all four toilets & that finish works very well.
You know, we thought about that...we have 2 old toilets that are wonderful though...so had 2 replaced and kept two.

We've replaced two out of three over the past 18 months. They had all been installed/replaced during a major remodel nearly 30 years old and were starting to run. DH was getting tired of fixing them and parts were increasingly hard to find. We'd have needed to change out the toilets eventually anyway, in order to sell a home in Los Angeles the toilets have to be modern water-saving models.

The new ones are higher (very easy on and off), have two flush options (solid and liquid), and are much thriftier with water. @win231, I didn't know about the Sani Gloss finish, but have noticed how much easier it is to keep the new ones clean. DH will replace the third toilet this winter/spring.

An unexpected couple of giggles: During different visits, my two grandchildren ( 7 & 4) came to me with great consternation immediately after using the new toilets. They couldn't figure out how to flush them. I duly went into the bathroom with them and showed them the buttons on top of the tank. I explained that the big button was to flush poop and the smaller button was for pee. They had the same follow-up question: "What if I do both?":giggle::giggle::giggle:

I use Clorox and Comet, sometimes I put straight white vinegar in a spray bottle and give the inner bowl a good soak down, let sit. I have hard water too, it is difficult to clear out under the rim where the water comes out. I have used pumice once on the toilet in the basement, it's really never used but gets that hard water ring around the water level. I've tried a couple of toilet cleaners, but wasn't impressed with the results.

This is VERY embarrassing, but here it goes. I once put some bleach into the toilet bowl. Then later on I went to pee, and the fumes!!! Cough, cough, cough! Learned that bleach and pee don't mix. :sick:
Not a good idea to use bleach when there are safer choices that do the same thing.
When I was a kid, my mom would pour bleach in the water. Later when someone sat on the seat, the fumes caused burns in the worst places.
After it happened to me & dad, we both had a talk with her about it but she wasn't the listening type, so as soon as she came back from shopping, I'd pour out all the bleach & re-fill the bottles with water. She never found out.

it seems that none of you is concerned about the environment. Do you never stop to consider the effect bleach has on the ocean and the creatures living in it? Bleach should be banned, as should many other household chemicals.

it seems that none of you is concerned about the environment. Do you never stop to consider the effect bleach has on the ocean and the creatures living in it? Bleach should be banned, as should many other household chemicals.

Bleach does not harm the environment
Household bleach begins and ends as salt water in a fully sustainable cycle. There's a significant difference between "bleaching"-- the name often associated with the manufacturing of paper products -- and household bleach.
During consumer use and disposal, about 95 percent to 98 percent of household bleach quickly breaks down. The remaining two percent to five percent is effectively treated by sewer or septic systems.
Bleach does not contaminate ground water because it does not survive sewage treatment - either in municipal sewage treatment plants or in septic systems. Thus, there are no harmful effects of bleach in the environment.

https://www.factsaboutbleach.com/bleach_and_the_environment.html

Do you use tbc or something else to clean the throne?

Just bought some Clorox TBC with cool gel bleach. It smells really good. I got it because it has that neck on it that can get the cleaner way up and get the bowl real clean.

Pretty blue color and seems to do the job.

What do you use?
That is what I use. Works good.

Back