Tomatoes in your mac & cheese or not?

This is my grandma's recipe for green tomato pie (caveat - I don't have it much anymore since it tends to give me acid reflux):

3 Tbsps. flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
3 cups green tomatoes, sliced VERY thinly
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

2 unbaked pie crusts

Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9ā€ pie dish. Mix flour and 1 Tbsp. of the sugar together. Sprinkle over bottom of pie crust in pan. Add tomato slices. Mix together remaining sugar, salt and spices. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with vinegar (or juice). Cover with top the other crust and crimp to seal. Make a few slices in top crust. Bake at 350o for 1 hour. Hint: This pie tends to boil over, so you might want to place a piece of foil on the rack below the pie while baking.

Last edited:
Deb, that recipe looks good, but the kind of tomato pie I know of is served as a savory side dish and has no top crust. I bet green tomato would be a good dessert pie, though. It's kind of late in the season to find green tomatoes down here, but if I do in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to try it.

Kraft Dinner Spirals- add cooked ground beef, finely chopped bell pepper boiled or the last minute of the pasta. Season with tabasco, Lawry's Salt, pepper. Substitute the bell pepper with chopped pickled jalapenos if you like. Adding chopped fresh tomatoes is fine. As far as ketchup goes, always mixed it in when I was a kid. Loved it.

This is my grandma's recipe for green tomato pie (caveat - I don't have it much anymore since it tends to give me acid reflux):

3 Tbsps. flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice
3 cups green tomatoes, sliced VERY thinly
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon

2 unbaked pie crusts

Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9ā€ pie dish. Mix flour and 1 Tbsp. of the sugar together. Sprinkle over bottom of pie crust in pan. Add tomato slices. Mix together remaining sugar, salt and spices. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with vinegar (or juice). Cover with top the other crust and crimp to seal. Make a few slices in top crust. Bake at 350o for 1 hour. Hint: This pie tends to boil over, so you might want to place a piece of foil on the rack below the pie while baking.
That sounds interesting, Deb. I'm adding it to the gazillion recipes I plan to try. The only time I've used green tomatoes was when I made green sauce.

Re the mac-n-cheese, I like it just the way it is, I use tomatoes in plenty of other recipes. This is my favorite mac-n-cheese, I use Dijon mustard instead of the ground:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235413/ultimate-macaroni-and-cheese/

Kraft Dinner Spirals- add cooked ground beef, finely chopped bell pepper boiled or the last minute of the pasta. Season with tabasco, Lawry's Salt, pepper. Substitute the bell pepper with chopped pickled jalapenos if you like. Adding chopped fresh tomatoes is fine. As far as ketchup goes, always mixed it in when I was a kid. Loved it.
What about Rotel Tomatoes & Chilis?

Mac & Cheese is NOT America's favorite comfort food! Pasta and cheap, cheezy sauce is the fake version, ala Kraft..

It must be Baked Mac & Cheese, from the oven!!!.

Not a crock pot
Not an Instapot
Not a stovetop
Not a microwave

Rather, in a deep casserole dish in the oven until browned and crispy in the corners and golden bubbly on top.

Don't be fooled by imitations.

This is a classic dish that gets it's unique and delicious flavor from the cooking method more so than extra ingredients, imo.

Last edited:
This thread made me think of gubmint cheese.

f6dee0bc1bb16783db1865f42561b1ef.jpg

I remember my brother and I arguing with my father over who would leave work early to pick up his box of gubmint cheese, the cheese distribution was given to all of the senior citizens in our area.

We could never make him understand that it cost us more to take off from work than the cheese was worth and that we would be happy to buy him some cheese but he would have none of it.

In the end, he always got his box of free cheese and always ended up giving it to us.

We always used it to make mac and cheese.

Last edited:
At the risk of starting a civil war, I like ham and pineapple on my pizza!

Skip the sausage, hamburger meat and pepperoni, add some black olives, green peppers, a few onions, and a little cheese. And keep the tomato sauce thin. Medium crust if you please.

I never had mac and cheese growing up. My Mom called it baked macaroni. She put it in a casserole dish,sprinkled with bread crumbs and dotted with butter. Popped it in the oven. The top got so golden brown and crusty with the crumbs and cheese. We never had it as a stand alone dish,always as a side. My Dad and I would grab as much of the top as possible when scooping it out.
Hi Jersey Girl....Mom called it baked macaroni....It must be a Jersey thing.... :)

Back