Toothpaste

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Just started using some different toothpastes more recently. First I tried Paradontax for gum health. Then I thought I needed to have stronger enamel and switched to Pronamel. My teeth are not so good but I still have plenty of them. I've had some pulled, too.

What toothpaste are you using?

Very sensitive teeth to hot and cold here....I use only Sensodyne twice a day.....really helps these issues when eating....
Colgate Max White is what my o/h uses , but I use sensodyne pronamel , as I'm sensitive to hot and cold even tho' I have no cavities at all..
So you both use what I've switched to. Glad it works for you!

For years I used the toothpaste my husband liked, Aquafresh Cavity Protection, but his teeth and gums are much healthier than mine. Although my mother never let us have a lot of sweets or sodas, I always had cavities even as a child. Now in my old age, I have receding gums which is causing sensitivity. I have tried natural toothpaste in the past from the health food store, like Toms, but I didn't like any of them.

Now I use Sensodyne Fresh Mint Paste, and am happy with it. My dental hygienist said it was just fine to use this toothpaste every day, she claims she does also. I brush twice a day with it, and lately have been brushing an additional time with virgin coconut oil on my electric Oral B toothbrush. I like the coconut oil because it makes my teeth feel extra smooth and clean, and coconut oil is anti-bacterial and is soothing for the gums.

I usually use some formulation of Crest or Colgate that advertises as "complete care." My dentist used to push a toothpaste on me that was available by prescription only, super high in fluoride, etc. At $15 a tube, I only tried one tube of it because every neuron in my brain rebelled at paying that much for a small tube of toothpaste. For $15 I can buy a nice pizza, after all, and be happy with the purchase...

In the area of the strange, my father used to use a tooth paste that was actually a powder that came in a can. You dampened your toothbrush, dipped it in the dry powder, and brushed your teeth with that. It was Dr. Lyon's Tooth Powder, which I don't think is sold anymore. Stranger still was my mother, who brushed her teeth with salt! It mustn't have worked too well as she wound up with dentures... 🙀
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Stranger still was my mother, who brushed her teeth with salt! It mustn't have worked too well as she wound up with dentures... 🙀
When I was young I started brushing my teeth with baking soda because I heard that it whitens your teeth. Then some guy told me that it was an abrasive and will wear down your enamel. I stopped but still use it once in a great while. I do wash my mouth with salt a few times whenever I have the start of an abscess, it gets rid of it. I hate going to doctors AND destists.

I usually use some formulation of Crest or Colgate that advertises as "complete care." My dentist used to push a toothpaste on me that was available by prescription only, super high in fluoride, etc. At $15 a tube, I only tried one tube of it because every neuron in my brain rebelled at paying that much for a small tube of toothpaste. For $15 I can buy a nice pizza, after all, and be happy with the purchase...

In the area of the strange, my father used to use a tooth paste that was actually a powder that came in a can. You dampened your toothbrush, dipped it in the dry powder, and brushed your teeth with that. It was Dr. Lyon's Tooth Powder, which I don't think is sold anymore. Stranger still was my mother, who brushed her teeth with salt! It mustn't have worked too well as she wound up with dentures... 🙀
View attachment 88304
I can't even get a pizza for $15. here..

Back