Totally blank out at times

Some foods for a healthy brain/memory/cognition are avocados, beets, blueberries, bone broth, broccoli, salmon, egg yolks, walnuts....more HERE.

I'm not a big seafood enthusiast, but I do like chicken. Sometimes I get one of those rotisserie cooked ones in the store, even though I suspect they have made me sick a few times. They're cooked then sit for who knows how long on a hot table. If I do get fish occasionally if tilapia is available, it is already cooked and put on a styrofoam tray and covered in plastic and in the refrigerator of the seafood department, but I there is "sell by" date on those. They seem to have a lot of swai fish (a.k.a. shark catfish) available and it is relatively inexpensive. Has anyone ever had swai and if so, what was your opinion?

I never heard of Swai before now. According to Consumer Reports, "If you're going to eat Swai make sure it comes from the Mississippi Delta and NOT the Mekong Delta." Also Swai doesn't have any of those healthy Omega 3s in it like Salmon does.

Canned or Fresh Wild-caught Salmon from Alaska has the most Omega 3s. Google "benefits of omega 3".

Freshwater Coho Salmon is also good if farmed in the US

But if you really can't stand salmon, Atlantic Mackarel is good if it comes from Canada and US

Wildcaught Sardines from the Pacific are good for you too.

You should eat fish twice a week. Chicken is good.

Right Lara, eat NOTHING from the Mekong Delta, not Tilapia, either. They're crammed together so tightly the water is polluted. ugh.

Wild caught is always better but we have to be careful not to over-fish as we have done. Therefore, the farms. I also read that farmed salmon is naturally greyish white and the fish is dyed for that deep orange color. People won't buy it unless it's orange. Canned Atlantic salmon is always wild and just as nutritious as fresh or frozen.

This makes me think of the past when my mother wouldn't buy Geisha brand tuna because of radiation from the atomic bomb.

I'm not a big seafood enthusiast, but I do like chicken. Sometimes I get one of those rotisserie cooked ones in the store, even though I suspect they have made me sick a few times. They're cooked then sit for who knows how long on a hot table. If I do get fish occasionally if tilapia is available, it is already cooked and put on a styrofoam tray and covered in plastic and in the refrigerator of the seafood department, but I there is "sell by" date on those. They seem to have a lot of swai fish (a.k.a. shark catfish) available and it is relatively inexpensive. Has anyone ever had swai and if so, what was your opinion?

I'm not fond of the mushy texture of swai but the flavor is good.

If I'm buying fried fish I stick with haddock or cod.

Here is an easy baked fish recipe.

4 - 8 ozs. firm white fish fillets like cod or haddock.

1/4-1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers.

1-2 T melted butter or oil.

Place the fish in an oven proof dish that has been sprayed with pam, S&P to taste, top with crushed saltines, drizzle with melted butter and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes until cracker topping is golden and the fish flakes easily.

Sounds good Bea. Sometimes I use Panko Crumbs on top of things I bake. You can find it in a bag in the International aisle of the grocery store. They're super crunchy and no salt. No flavor either, I might add :D so I drizzle a little olive oil around...and they're still crunchy after baking.

Last edited:
I am on two prescription blood pressure meds (Hyzaar and Norvasc).

I looked up those meds and they don't seem to have any side effects regarding memory, but a rare side effect of the Norvasc is confusion, which would be in the same category. Maybe worth mentioning to your doctor?

Also, what do you drink every day, and how much? It's really important to drink enough water and stay hydrated. Dehydration does affect both body and brain. Good luck with the veggies, eating them as a side dish with a chicken breast or fish would be a good meal for you.

It really takes little time or effort to make a simple meal of a protein like chicken breast or fish and some green stuff. If you are eating cereal from a box, most of it is chock full of sugar; do some oatmeal and a banana or other fruit instead. Get on the internet and do some simple research about nutrition and/or get your doc to refer you to a nutritionist and learn what your body needs to function at an optimal level. And yes, you can probably expect some stomach upset as your body adjusts to real food. If it becomes a problem, try some digestive enzymes (these are available in capsule form in most places that sell dietary supplements and vitamins); they help your body digest the food. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel when you are eating real food and moving around more. I know it makes all the difference in the world for me; it won't come overnight, but you WILL feel better.

Here's something I made for myself a couple of weeks ago and took a pic with my iPhone. That's pepper on the plate (not bugs lol)

I used a frozen "AMY's California Veggie Burger (low sodium version). I thawed it in the microwave about 30 seconds so I wouldn't be frying it in olive oil too long. I try to get the outside a little crispy.

I topped it with an organic avocado and a Kumata tomato (it's heirloom) from Trader Joes. Salt & pepper the tomato.

Optional: Sauce (I just mixed equal parts of sour cream and fresh salsa together and added garlic powder and cumin).
Oh, I sprinkled fresh parsley on top.

I swear I could eat this everyday. "Amy" has a wide range of organic frozen entrees but this is the only one I use. The burger comes in various choices like a black bean burger I think. I will only buy the California Burger. It's the best!

Make sure it says "California"...unless the others appeal to you more of course. I don't remember the cost but there are 4 helpings in the box. I want to say 5.99 ?...maybe 4.99

IMG_1453.jpg

384931-veggieburgers-amys-lightinsodiumcalifornia.jpg

Also, what do you drink every day, and how much?

I drink several large (like double the size of an average teacup) cups of tea a day. Even though they have double capacity, I only use one bag per cup. My tea choices are usually Earl Grey, oolong and jasmine. When I get to the "big" city, I shop at an Asian grocery where I can bet more exotic flavors. I also consume a lit of flavored seltzers.

Anything more than pouring a bowl of cereal is elaborate to me. I may make a cooked meal once every two weeks or so, or on a holiday or for the church fellowship. It's a tremendous effort, though.
Spend some time in the produce section of the market, lots of quick & easy things to eat that are delicious. Cherries! Berries of all types. peaches, pears, apples...or whatever is in season in your area. Nuts! Peanuts, Cashews, shelled Walnuts. None of these need preparation, other than rinsing. Grapes! Bananas! Avocados!

Same thing is happening to me, and I pass all the Alzheimer's tests just fine. And we have no history of Alzheimer's in the family. I think its just a part of normal aging. I like to think we are getting wiser at the same time, but the grandkids probably would not agree!
A few weeks ago I was looking for a CD disk I needed and couldn't find that either when I had it just a short time before.
If I had a nickel for every time that happened to me, I'd be rich, I think but can't remember how many, LOL! Just substitute most anything I own for your "CD disk".

Salmon: it's so easy and quick to throw a skinless salmon filet (rinse it, pat it dry) in a meatloaf pan (or any pan) with a drizzle of Olive Oil and some ground pepper at 375 for 11 minutes, squeeze a fresh lemon all over it, and you're done.
I don't even do the lemon, but a sprinkle of garlic salt. I buy the bags of portion size frozen filets that don't even have to be thawed. While the salmon is baking I cook a bag of frozen veg in the microwave -- I like the "California Mix" with broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.

Like Deb, I can't eat most fruit. In my case it's because of acid reflux, so I try to get a variety of veg and cooked ones are more digestible than raw.

So much good advice on this thread! I'm going to read the bits about the value of exercise over and over till it sticks!

Now as to those absent minded moments. I was clearing the table and instead of putting the butter back in the fridge I (found out later) put it in the clothes hamper that was just off the kitchen in the laundry room. I was five years old at the time. It's been down hill ever since. Some of us just don't like to devote our entire brain to boring stuff!

I posted that 3 years ago and now I make my salmon totally different. My daughter bakes hers at 375 for 18 minutes and says it comes out perfect everytime. I bake mine at 400 for 12 or 13 minutes. Everyone's oven varies so you have to do what's right for your's. Also I don't put ground pepper on mine anymore. I use olive oil and Umami Seasoning (which has a little red pepper in it for zing...and no lemon.

hahaha @ "butter in the clothes hamper at age 5 and downhill ever since"

Sometimes it feels like my mind is on auto-pilot and I'm coasting through life not really paying attention; my mind is distracted or not even aware of what's happening. I am almost to the point of tears seeing what is happening and it's like nothing can be done. I am constantly losing things and have more memory gaps. It's literally like my right hand doesn't know what my left hand is doing. Last year on Labor Day I had a garage sale and had several items "walk away" because I couldn't remember who picked up what and if I get busy, I totally forget until later when it's too late and I'm sure people played games with making change, then changing their mind and wanting something else then say "I paid for that already." I feel like the shopkeeper in this movie clip:

A few weeks ago I was looking for a CD disk I needed and couldn't find that either when I had it just a short time before.

The latest incident was when I joined a new chat room about home maintenance. I keep a written record of Web site I visit that require usernames and passwords. When I went to record the new info on my sheet, it as not in the place I usually keep it. I looked around in the most likely places and couldn't find it. The next day I tore the computer room apart looking to no avail. It is still a mystery what happened and I can only surmise that I may have picked it up when I was cleaning off the desk and may have put it in the recycling bin which was picked up last week. The passwords are recoverable in Firefox, but I worry that by putting it in the trash, if that's what happened, it could be seen by other eyes.

People I've told about this say I have to start paying attention to what I do, but it's like telling a person with clinical depression to "be happy".

But my mind makes up for being foggy when awake by having vivid and detailed dreams when asleep.
I don't know if it was my father or the Army that taught me that everything has its place. I live by that rule. Everything has its place. My wife ... not so much. She puts things wherever she happens to be standing and then can't find it afterwards. I give her the same advice every time, "It is exactly where you put it." That makes her angry.

Me? If I am stressed to do something like bag my groceries before the next customer's shopping piles up on top of mine with that f-ing conveyor belt, I will stick my change anywhere. These young cashiers do not understand that us old folks can't hold a plastic bag dangling in one hand while the second hand stuff our shopping into it and the third hand puts the change into our wallet.

The point is that you are not alone. If for some reason I put something where it doesn't belong you can bet I'll have a very difficult time finding it. Now, if I can just convince my wife that it is very bad practice to stack the dishes and bowls together in the cupboard ..... grrrrr!

Back