Trains of all kinds for 911...

aa1eac583afecc40ee3aa4e854216b17.jpg

' Big Boy' is traveling around the country ... was in Houston yesterday.

Few steam locomotives compare to Union Pacific's (UP) colossus 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy." It was designed during the zenith of seam technology and earned celebrity status as soon as the first debuted in 1941. According to David P. Morgan's article, "Big Boy" from the November, 1958 issue of Trains Magazine, the locomotive was mentioned 521 times in newspapers within 45 different states! It was also highlighted in magazines and on television. The 4-8-8-4 wasn't an experiment; it was designed specifically to handle heavy freight trains, daily, through the Wasatch Mountains. It did so admirably for nearly two decades. This period also began UP's high horsepower era (which continued through the diesel age); an attempt to lower operating costs via massive, single unit locomotives. The Big Boy's arrived in two batches from American Locomotive, the first 20 were delivered in 1941 and the final 5 three years later. The 4000's were retired in 1959 but a few remained stored into the early 1960's. Thankfully, eight of these magnificent beasts survive today. On May 2, 2019, after a three year restoration, Union Pacific brought #4014 back to life where she operates as part of the company's official heritage fleet.

https://www.american-rails.com/big.html

iu

I enjoy the big diesel-electric locomotives. I was able to ride in the lead engine about 5 years ago when a car broke down on the tracks and I intervened to get the train stopped. While we were waiting for the wrecker to show up, I was talking with the lead engineer. I told him how much that I enjoyed trains and would really like to ride upfront sometime. He said today was my lucky day and that he would be glad to take me down the track about 10 miles to do a hook-up and then come back. This was at about 6 in the morning.

I was in my glory that day. I even got to sound the horn.

Has anyone ever seen the movie, "Runaway Train?" It starred Eric Roberts and John Voight. A lot of bad language in this movie, but the action keeps you interested throughout the movie. I thought the movie was underrated, although they could have cut back on the language.

I enjoy the big diesel-electric locomotives. I was able to ride in the lead engine about 5 years ago when a car broke down on the tracks and I intervened to get the train stopped. While we were waiting for the wrecker to show up, I was talking with the lead engineer. I told him how much that I enjoyed trains and would really like to ride upfront sometime. He said today was my lucky day and that he would be glad to take me down the track about 10 miles to do a hook-up and then come back. This was at about 6 in the morning.

I was in my glory that day. I even got to sound the horn.

What a great day! ...

Back