trying to quit smoking..

Yes, meditation... mindfulness.. using my conscious self to
overpower my conditioned self.
Accept the sensations, embrace them.. this too shall pass..

and soon they are back😅

Thanks, Ladybj 😊
Yes, the sensations will come back...but with a made up mind, you can do it. Will not be easy but you can do it.

Thank you so kindly for your warm and supportive words, Mrpants!

I notice a sort of revival going on with my cravings right now. In the beginning when I first quit, cravings were super strong, then those cravings somewhat subsided (somewhat), but now that I'm riding the 2 month wave, the intense cravings I battled in the beginning are revisiting me with a lasting intensity that I'm really finding myself having to fight with all my might to move past.

I went outside today and gardened for several hours, and the whole time couldn't get smoking off my mind. I've come around this evening and am not feeling that overwhelming desire to smoke, but I hope this isn't what this next month holds for me.

Trying so hard to stay positive and focused.
Many of these recent cravings could very well be a result of 'seasonal triggers'.
As smokers, we used smoking as a reward during or after doing certain things. Some of these things are seasonal tasks. You mentioned gardening. I bet you had a smoke after doing some gardening in the past (if not while gardening). These strong seasonal cravings will only happen once. After that one time, you'll be used to not smoking after gardening and you won't get that strong unexpected craving again. It's all part of the quitting process so recognize it for what it is and just go with it. Give yourself a different treat after finishing a typical seasonal task. A drink of something cool, a snack ... any small reward that pleases you. This will become your new normal soon enough.
Be aware of this for seasonal changes to come as well. Autumn, Christmas time .... that sort of stuff. There will be mental attachments you have between smoking and doing certain things you have always done during those seasons. Maintain focus on your goal and keep marching! You'll be fine (y)

Many of these recent cravings could very well be a result of 'seasonal triggers'.
As smokers, we used smoking as a reward during or after doing certain things. Some of these things are seasonal tasks. You mentioned gardening. I bet you had a smoke after doing some gardening in the past (if not while gardening). These strong seasonal cravings will only happen once. After that one time, you'll be used to not smoking after gardening and you won't get that strong unexpected craving again. It's all part of the quitting process so recognize it for what it is and just go with it. Give yourself a different treat after finishing a typical seasonal task. A drink of something cool, a snack ... any small reward that pleases you. This will become your new normal soon enough.
Be aware of this for seasonal changes to come as well. Autumn, Christmas time .... that sort of stuff. There will be mental attachments you have between smoking and doing certain things you have always done during those seasons. Maintain focus on your goal and keep marching! You'll be fine (y)
Your words are so true.

So many connections to doing things with a cigarette break after, or even one during. I'm finding that in a really big way in the evenings when I go outside for my walks around the yard. It's my time to reflect upon the day, take in a little quiet time while getting lost in freshly weeded flowerbeds or a freshly cut lawn, and for as long as I can remember, even back to the days when I had little ones in the home, my goal in the evening was to get the kitchen pulled together (dishes washed, etc), get the kids ready for bed, tuck them in, then enjoy a little me time... or as I used to call it, "mommy-time".

Mommy-time consisted of me making myself a cup of tea or taking a walk around the yard, and when it came to my walks around the yard, I always lit a cigarette before going out. Of course I'm missing that aspect of my evening yard walks now.

I just keep on reminding myself to stay focused and stay committed and strong.

Thank you for your words and taking the time to stop-by to lend your experiences and support to a healthy cause, MrPants. :love:

Maybe try using the nicorette inhaler for awhile ? it has worked for some people I know, altho' the cartridges can be expensive ( that's why I couldn't hack it ) and they're absolutely loaded with nicotine
It just shows the hypocrisy of various guvmints that they ban vaping ( 99% safer than tobacco) but allow Big Pharma to sell their stuff in supermarkets ( another topic )

Your words are so true.

So many connections to doing things with a cigarette break after, or even one during. I'm finding that in a really big way in the evenings when I go outside for my walks around the yard. It's my time to reflect upon the day, take in a little quiet time while getting lost in freshly weeded flowerbeds or a freshly cut lawn, and for as long as I can remember, even back to the days when I had little ones in the home, my goal in the evening was to get the kitchen pulled together (dishes washed, etc), get the kids ready for bed, tuck them in, then enjoy a little me time... or as I used to call it, "mommy-time".

Mommy-time consisted of me making myself a cup of tea or taking a walk around the yard, and when it came to my walks around the yard, I always lit a cigarette before going out. Of course I'm missing that aspect of my evening yard walks now.

I just keep on reminding myself to stay focused and stay committed and strong.

Thank you for your words and taking the time to stop-by to lend your experiences and support to a healthy cause, MrPants. :love:
One more tip on getting past some of these cravings .... when you do stuff you have done over the years like your after dinner garden walk; change something up just a bit. Walk the front yard instead of the back yard or vise-versa. Have a glass of water rather than a coffee; small changes. I used this tactic in my early quit. Morning cig was a MUST! I just changed up the sequence of - shower, coffee, reading the paper or listening to the morning news. Kept my brain focused on the new routine rather than getting into mind-numb mode and thinking I should be smoking 😊

One more tip on getting past some of these cravings .... when you do stuff you have done over the years like your after dinner garden walk; change something up just a bit. Walk the front yard instead of the back yard or vise-versa. Have a glass of water rather than a coffee; small changes. I used this tactic in my early quit. Morning cig was a MUST! I just changed up the sequence of - shower, coffee, reading the paper or listening to the morning news. Kept my brain focused on the new routine rather than getting into mind-numb mode and thinking I should be smoking 😊
Boy, that first cigarette of the day... the morning cigarette. I lived by that for eternity. Surprisingly enough, I haven't missed having a cigarette in the morning, which I attribute to having grown away from compared to my younger years, and that in itself has been a blessing.

I can actually wake, make myself coffee, and the whole cigarette thing isn't gnawing at me, but such was not the case back in the day. I used to light a cigarette first thing, and while enjoyed my cigarette, I made coffee.

To help try and keep my mind off smoking, I have been doing a lot of little things in and around the home... reorganizing, deep cleaning, organizing, that sort of thing just to keep the thought of lighting up as distant as I can.

Great advice, MrPants.

Maybe try using the nicorette inhaler for awhile ? it has worked for some people I know, altho' the cartridges can be expensive ( that's why I couldn't hack it ) and they're absolutely loaded with nicotine
It just shows the hypocrisy of various guvmints that they ban vaping ( 99% safer than tobacco) but allow Big Pharma to sell their stuff in supermarkets ( another topic )
I vaped for a while rather than start smoking again. I used the nicotine free vape liquid. I don't think it's safer at all. I had a film on the inside of the windshield in my car that didn't wanna wash off. I had to go out twice with soap and water and it's still not all gone. I imagine it's coating the inside of a person's lungs with that goo and there's no way to wash that off.

Find something to do with your mouth. May sound funny, but the habit is easier to break if you have some gun, a pen to chew on, really anything to keep your mouth occupied in place of a cigarette. I've had good luck with nicotine lozenges in the past. Not so much the chewing gum.

How are each one of you doing, who are dealing with this challenge?
:unsure:
A bummer of a day for me having to show up here and admit that yesterday was C Day for me, C standing for cigarette.

I was hoping deep inside that this thread would go away, hoping everyone would forget about it.

This is a major blow for me, I never made it so long before (ever) in my quest to quit as I did this time around, and so I will try again, but not now, probably not tomorrow, I don't know when.

I'm mad, disappointed, and feel defeated. I had it in my mind I was going to conquer it this time (for real), for good, once and for all.

It's so nice of you to think about us, Kaila. I wish I had better news.

Isn't sad how when smokers and us former smokers first lit up to start smoking never dreamed it would be so hard to stop and some of us never do.
Sad indeed, FM.

I remember it like yesterday, my mom telling me as she was ironing clothes in the kitchen, "honey, once you start you're never going to quit". I never acted like a know-it-all ever, but I was adamant that my mom was wrong, and that she was just saying what she was saying to try and persuade me into not smoking.

I never went through the stage of feeling like I was cool because I smoked, I just started because I started. Us girls would get-together in the evening for coffee at our favourite haunt and sit and talk, smoke, and sip our coffee.

Even back in those days I never smoked much, a pack used to last me for a couple of weeks, and there were some days that went by where I never had a cigarette.

When my children were little I smoked on average 5-6 cigarettes a day, but for years now got the habit down to a couple a day. I think because I was smoking so little, I felt I could whip the habit without even trying, but the urge wouldn't subside. I found it to be bad at the start when I first quit in early March, however, as days turned to weeks, I was inspired to try harder and fight the urge stronger... come on Marg, I'd say to myself, a few more weeks and you'll have made it for so long, and by then you'll have it beat.

I can't tell you how many times a day I see my mom standing in front of her ironing board, ironing away, a cigarette going off to the side in an ashtray, and think about those words she spoke to me. "Honey, once you start you're never going to quit".

Feeling as defeated as I am right now, I have convinced myself that she was right.

Kudos to yourself for having the strength to beat it. I envy all who have successfully been able to enjoy that path.

Sad indeed, FM.

I remember it like yesterday, my mom telling me as she was ironing clothes in the kitchen, "honey, once you start you're never going to quit". I never acted like a know-it-all ever, but I was adamant that my mom was wrong, and that she was just saying what she was saying to try and persuade me into not smoking.
Feeling as defeated as I am right now, I have convinced myself that she was right.
Put those negative feelings behind you, many of us lit up during the quitting period, such is the strength of the addiction. It's only when the desire to smoke subsides that you realise how close to that goal you were. Thousands have gone through the purgatory of kicking the habit, believe me, you're not alone, even if it feels like it.

The freedom of not feeling any desire to smoke is greater than the addiction and the satisfaction of beating that said addiction is truly amazing. Keep on going Marg.

Put those negative feelings behind you, many of us lit up during the quitting period, such is the strength of the addiction. It's only when the desire to smoke subsides that you realise how close to that goal you were. Thousands have gone through the purgatory of kicking the habit, believe me, you're not alone, even if it feels like it.

The freedom of not feeling any desire to smoke is greater than the addiction and the satisfaction of beating that said addiction is truly amazing. Keep on going Marg.
You're such a sweetheart, Horseless.

I so appreciate your words.

I'm going to try again.

Sad indeed, FM.

I never went through the stage of feeling like I was cool because I smoked, I just started because I started. Us girls would get-together in the evening for coffee at our favourite haunt and sit and talk, smoke, and sip our coffee.

Even back in those days I never smoked much, a pack used to last me for a couple of weeks, and there were some days that went by where I never had a cigarette.

When my children were little I smoked on average 5-6 cigarettes a day, but for years now got the habit down to a couple a day. I think because I was smoking so little, I felt I could whip the habit without even trying, but the urge wouldn't subside. I found it to be bad at the start when I first quit in early March, however, as days turned to weeks, I was inspired to try harder and fight the urge stronger... come on Marg, I'd say to myself, a few more weeks and you'll have made it for so long, and by then you'll have it beat.

I can't tell you how many times a day I see my mom standing in front of her ironing board, ironing away, a cigarette going off to the side in an ashtray, and think about those words she spoke to me. "Honey, once you start you're never going to quit".

Kudos to yourself for having the strength to beat it. I envy all who have successfully been able to enjoy that path.
Are you still down to a couple a day? (and you mean a couple smokes, right?)

My aunt, mom's sister, had 1 smoke at around noon after her housework was done, and 1 late in the evening after all her other chores were done. It was like her message to herself that the work was done and she could relax. She did that for many years and lived to age 98.

I'm not encouraging you to keep having those 2 smokes, but I sure don't think it's any sort of failure. I'm not discouraging you either. I mean, it might be a good balance. I do encourage smoking a brand that doesn't have a bunch of chemicals and toxins in it, though. American Spirit is one, and I think Winston has an additive-free type, too....or maybe all theirs are additive-free, I'm not sure.

Very sorry to hear you had such a rough day, and my post didn't really help either, :confused:
even though you knew I meant it as only and totally supportive, Aunt Marg.
We all here, realize how very difficult it is, and yes, start again.
Build on your progress you did make.
We'll still be rooting for you.

Very sorry to hear you had such a rough day, and my post didn't really help either, :confused:
even though you knew I meant it as only and totally supportive, Aunt Marg.
We all here, realize how very difficult it is, and yes, start again.
Build on your progress you did make.
We'll still be rooting for you.
Not at all, Kaila, and honestly, I'm glad you asked, so please don't feel bad.

That's what this forum is all about, community spirit. :)

I most definitely will try again, and I love the support from members like yourself!

Thank you so much for it! :love:

A bummer of a day for me having to show up here and admit that yesterday was C Day for me, C standing for cigarette.

I was hoping deep inside that this thread would go away, hoping everyone would forget about it.

This is a major blow for me, I never made it so long before (ever) in my quest to quit as I did this time around, and so I will try again, but not now, probably not tomorrow, I don't know when.

I'm mad, disappointed, and feel defeated. I had it in my mind I was going to conquer it this time (for real), for good, once and for all.

Have every confidence in you Aunt Marg, it'll happen eventually.

may i ask what set it off?

Are you still down to a couple a day? (and you mean a couple smokes, right?)

My aunt, mom's sister, had 1 smoke at around noon after her housework was done, and 1 late in the evening after all her other chores were done. It was like her message to herself that the work was done and she could relax. She did that for many years and lived to age 98.

I'm not encouraging you to keep having those 2 smokes, but I sure don't think it's any sort of failure. I'm not discouraging you either. I mean, it might be a good balance. I do encourage smoking a brand that doesn't have a bunch of chemicals and toxins in it, though. American Spirit is one, and I think Winston has an additive-free type, too....or maybe all theirs are additive-free, I'm not sure.
Believe me, Mur, I think along the lines you laid out all too often.

I believe if I smoked a pack a day, even half a pack a day, I would feel more pressure, more urgency to quit, and while even 2-3 cigarettes a day bothers me, somehow it helps numb my senses and inflicts less psychological damage on me.

I'm a firm-believer in the idea that everyone needs a habit or has a habit... soda pop, candy, sweets, biting ones fingernails, whatever have you, and a couple of cigarettes a day is mine.

I'm really considering going on some sort of patch or doctor's prescribed pill the next time I'm ready to embark upon the quitting journey. Maybe had I had that little bit extra help this time around, maybe I may have had success.

may i ask what set it off?
I attribute it to time that had passed since I quit back in March... the steady daily urge to smoke, it was really grating on me. Like a dull ache that just doesn't go away, the same can be said for that relentless gnawing urge that's there from morning until night.

I attribute it to time that had passed since I quit back in March... the steady daily urge to smoke, it was really grating on me. Like a dull ache that just doesn't go away, the same can be said for that relentless gnawing urge that's there from morning until night.
too familiar with that urge. but you must focus on keeping mind and hands and body busy. change any routine that involves smoking. and for me...chewing gum became my salvation there for a while. it doesn't even bother me anymore. i hope you make it next time.

too familiar with that urge. but you must focus on keeping mind and hands and body busy. change any routine that involves smoking. and for me...chewing gum became my salvation there for a while. it doesn't even bother me anymore. i hope you make it next time.
I appreciate your words and support, Marci.

I tried extra hard this time around, pulling appliances away from walls to scrub and clean under them, washing baseboards, organizing the house, getting outside and gardening/helping hubby with a few odd and ends.

I'm going to try again.

Back