I did it through my Doctors Surgery, the practice
nurse gave me some options of things that they
helped people with, I had already tried the one for
older people to "Get Moving", so I said that I would
try to stop smoking, I promised that I wouldn't let
her down as she was trying to help me, I always try
to keep my word, I never smoked again after the
last packet that I had in my pocket, the Nurse helped
by prescribing patches that I used for maybe a month.

The first thing that you should do, is work out what it
is costing you, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly, I posted
here after I had stopped how much I had saved and it was
a surprise, £2,500 - £3,000.

Mike.

Hi uriaty, I quit several years ago and found it
easy, after smoking for 60 years I thought that
I would never stop.

I did it through my Doctors Surgery, the practice
nurse gave me some options of things that they
helped people with, I had already tried the one for
older people to "Get Moving", so I said that I would
try to stop smoking, I promised that I wouldn't let
her down as she was trying to help me, I always try
to keep my word, I never smoked again after the
last packet that I had in my pocket, the Nurse helped
by prescribing patches that I used for maybe a month.

The first thing that you should do, is work out what it
is costing you, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly, I posted
here after I had stopped how much I had saved and it was
a surprise, £2,500 - £3,000.

Mike.
just curious..do you know what that compares to with american money...im not sure myself

Nothing will work until you are ready.

I finally quit several years ago using Chantix. It wasn't easy and I still miss it at times. I have many good memories of a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other.

Good luck!

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” - Samuel Beckett

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." – Henry Ford

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

im a lil hesitant about chantix because of the side effects i read about and from others talking to
It's probably best to quit cold turkey if you can.

I took Chantix for a month instead of two because my health insurance at the time would not cover the cost.

In the beginning, I didn't think that it was working because my smoking increased during the first week when you are still allowed to smoke. Later I realized that it was starting to block the effects of the nicotine in my brain and the increase in smoking was normal.

The only thing that I noticed were some odd very vivid technicolor dreams that eventually went away over time.

Talk to your pharmacist and or your PCP to be sure that it will be compatible with any prescription drugs and supplements that you currently take.

Good luck!

I quit ten years ago(age 58), had smoked 45+ years and never thought I could stop.

Had a bad case of the flu, felt so bad I didn't go outside for a smoke. After 3 days I realized- "hey, I don't have any nicotine in my body" so I decided to go for it and never pick up another cigarette.
Had a few minor cravings over the next couple months, never gave into them.

Best of luck, you can do it!

I quit in 1971 after many attempts. There was no magic bullet for me. When you do quit, you will notice that you can start tasting food again instead of crappiness. If you fail, accept it and try again. The more you do something, the better you get at it.

I'm in the midst of trying to quit.

Haven't had a cigarette since March 3rd.

As with all other past attempts, cold-turkey has been my method, and same applies for this time around. Have had a few low points where I have pondered lighting up, but at just shy of three weeks into this, and with a whirlwind of support behind me (family/friends), I really want to keep going.

I've tried quitting many times throughout the years, mostly after I got married and started having children, and while I've never been a heavy smoker, I've just never been able to crest the mountain. I climb and climb, doing well for an X-period of time, and then I slide. That's been my past experiences with quitting, but I'm really hoping to change that this time around.

I commend you for trying to quit, Uriaty, and to all those here who successfully quit, good on you.

I for one will do regular drop-ins here to post my progress, and would be great if you did the same. Feeding off one another's strengths and weaknesses will be a good thing.

I'm in the midst of trying to quit.

Haven't had a cigarette since March 3rd.

As with all other past attempts, cold-turkey has been my method, and same applies for this time around. Have had a few low points where I have pondered lighting up, but at just shy of three weeks into this, and with a whirlwind of support behind me (family/friends), I really want to keep going.

I've tried quitting many times throughout the years, mostly after I got married and started having children, and while I've never been a heavy smoker, I've just never been able to crest the mountain. I climb and climb, doing well for an X-period of time, and then I slide. That's been my past experiences with quitting, but I'm really hoping to change that this time around.

I commend you for trying to quit, Uriaty, and to all those here who successfully quit, good on you.

I for one will do regular drop-ins here to post my progress, and would be great if you did the same. Feeding off one another's strengths and weaknesses will be a good thing.

It's a very difficult challenge,
which I applaud you, uriaty,

for trying as many attempts and tries, as it takes.
And for talking about it with us.

My suggestion is one that applies to trying to stop any persistant repetition,
Is to figure out and plan ahead, a couple of simple replacement actions, to take, every single time,

and then, at first urge, force yourself to replace it with something else you keep on hand, and that is doable for you;
including both possibly, something to put in your mouth,
and also,
switching yourself to a different focus, such as making a list of your favorite things, or going outdoors to walk a counted number of steps....or, counting the items or books on a shelf....or something.....basically anything, to do and to think about, instead of the urge.

The more times you interrupt the pattern you've had, at some point, the repeated practise of the immediate substitution behaviors, might become a little easier to do instead.

I know this isn't a solution.
Just offering an additional idea.

Seems more possible to replace it with something, rather than to just do without and feel deprived and end up focussing on missing it, which often doesn't help, I find.

I encourage you (and others) to continue trying again....and again....and again.

greetings all..im in the process of quitting smoking..anyone have any advice..helpful ways and tips..any thoughts ate welcome..
good for you. i myself smoked for 25 yrs and now have moderate copd. if you can quit before getting to that point i would advise it.

i used the commit lozenges and lots of prayer. many websites suggest changing who you hang out with. if your friends are all smokers either ask if they can not smoke in your presence or don't hang out with them. don't hang out anywhere where others will be smoking.

change up your routine. example...you eat dinner and first thing you normally do is have a smoke...don't...go for a walk...read the paper...something. you wake in the morning...first thing you do is have a smoke...don't...have your coffee...maybe sit on the porch with your coffee or read the paper...do something different without your cigarettes. even changing the order in which you do something helps. maybe you read and smoke first. get your coffee first...take the paper into a different room if you have to. you want to completely change your routine to form one that doesn't involve cigarettes. this will help you make the transition to a non-smoking lifestyle.

i also chewed gum when the cravings hit. helped a lot. try to keep busy. good luck to you.

I quit using nictotine patches for 3 months. Make plans to do things that will keep you busy, especially at places where smoking is not permitted. Have healthy snacks handy. I tried support groups on line but found all they did was make me obsess about smoking instead of trying to avoid it, so I stopped going to those sites. Hope this helps and good luck! Stay strong!

My dad quit cold turkey and my mother struggled with quitting for several months until she finally did. My sister still smokes and doesn't even try to quit. Its her thing with her smoking and her Jack Daniels. She knows she does too much of both but thats just her. I gave up years ago trying to talk with her about it and her husband has too.

1. Your health
2. Total up the amount of money you spend annually and think where that money could go.
3. Smokers smell bad and ask quitters if that is true or false.
I was accidently booked in to a smoking motel room a couple years ago. As I opened the door it was like a poison gas in the room. I sat down for a moment thinking I could get used to it then got up and had a room change. If you go outside and smoke one and come back in I can smell it on you. I quit 31 years ago cold turkey. I was two packs/day when I quit. A carton back then was 20 dollars and that was around $1,000/yr for cigarettes so if the price stayed at $2/pack I saved $31,000 by quitting back then but they are now around $60/carton so that would be around $3,100/yr.

Back