TUI Boeing 757 Comes into Land Sideways in 40 Knot Crosswind at Bristol Airport During a Storm

While stationed at Shemya AFB, Alaska, watching the planes handle the cross winds on our island was always exciting.
Since Reeve Aleutian Airways ( Lockheed Electra ) flew to our station every Tuesday and Thursday,
we greeted each plane as something to break the boredom.

The RC-135 Cobra Ball seemed to handle things fairly well, but the Electra always seem to be 'Crabbing' just before touchdown.
I know very little about the planes ,mentioned, but I know a pilot at AA that flew the Lockheed Electra. I forget what model, but he also flew in the military, which I never did. I wanted to, but was rejected. The reason that was given to me was that I was too tall. At 6'4", that is pretty hard to believe, even back in the 60's. I later knew pilots at United, American and US Air that were taller than me and they flew in the military.

I remember seeing a Lockheed Constellation. What a beautiful plane she was.

Last edited:
That's all really fascinating you guys.........reading about how you piloted all these planes.

And the BIG ones too! 👨‍✈️✈️
Glad you enjoy the stories here. There are plenty to write about, but most of them are not very exciting. I never crashed or even came close to it. Never had to ditch my plane. When I flew the 747 and had that plane crossing my runway, I thought that I was going to have to change my undershorts. Had we been a little more closer to landing, I may not have been able to see the runway, then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

When landing, pilots have what is called a decision height, which is when they need to decide whether to abort the landing or to continue it. For most of us, the decision height was/is 200 feet. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but in a big plane, (jets mostly), we can spool up the engines and get the plane back in the air pretty quickly to do what is called a "Go Around" or a TOGA, which stand for "Take Off Go Around."

When pilots do a go around, it kind of scares some of the passengers. They know we are going to land because we told them so. They heard the landing gears drop down and so now they expect to hear the bump when the plane sets down. The plane's engines are fairly quiet just before landing, so when the pilot has to spool the engines back up to be able to climb, people get nervous and think some pretty crazy stuff. To quell some of their emotions, one of us in the cockpit must try to get on the intercom ASAP and announce to everyone what's happening. I think as long as pilots give a reasonable explanation as to what we are doing, it eases their fears.

What did you think of Sully's miraculous landing years ago in the Hudson?

Also, I always wondered what the depth was of the water where he landed...If told , I don't remember.

It was near the end of my career and on a clear Wednesday afternoon in Miami when we were preparing to land. We were given permission and given our runway number for landing, which matched what we had on our flight plan, so there would be no runway change. Pilots hate it when their runway is changed from what was given to them in their flight plan.

We were in our final approach and at about 2500 feet. The controller tells us that our gate is blocked by another United plane and maintenance is doing a tire change. They were being told that it would still be about 15 minutes before the plane would be ready for pushback. I asked for a parking spot on the tarmac, but the controller said he wasn't able to provide one at that time, so I asked him what are we suppose to do. He asked me how much fuel I had remaining. I lied and told him maybe about 20-30 minutes, which we did have about an hour remaining. The controller became quiet. I thought he was asking me how much fuel I had because he was going to put me in a holding pattern, which is never a good thing and that is why I told him it was less than what we did have.

A minute or so later, I asked if I could get another gate. Again, he says no, all gates are either full or will be shortly. I asked again, what were we supposed to do. He asks me what do you want to do. I told him that I wanted to land. He tells me OK, land. I ask him, then what. He tells me that he will have a plan for me when I land. I ask for vectors to the outer marker and now we are back into our landing sequence. Just as we are touching down, the controller tells us to exit at Taxiway Delta (D) and proceed to Taxiway Foxtrot (F) that is not being used and park. OK, so now we sit for almost a half hour, burning fuel and with passengers busting at the seams to deplane. This is what our life (as part of a flight crew) is like sometimes.

Also, I always wondered what the depth was of the water where he landed...If told , I don't remember.
I'm not sure of the depth myself, but with it being a river (Hudson River), I would guess it to be less than 50 feet.
I thought he did an excellent job of landing (ditching) his plane in the Hudson. The irony is that I can remember reading an article in our pilot's magazine that Sully had written about water landings. He was considered an expert in this field. I also went to see the movie and even though it did have some Hollywood propaganda crap in it, I thought it was well done. Sully got all the honors that he was worthy to receive.

I also want add that pilots who often fly over large bodies of water will practice ditching while in a simulator. Unlike landing in a river, landing in an ocean is a much greater challenge due to the waves and tides. Often, the plane will be either rolled or tossed on its side. Either movement will cause the plane to possibly tear apart or perhaps tear a hole in the side. Landing in a river is more predictable and is more controllable, but landing in an ocean, well, it may be lights out.

Did you fly commercial or just military? What plane or planes did you fly and did you fly off of carriers?
I still fly my little private prop plane which is the Cessna 172 and is very popular for many small fixed wing pilots and other airplane enthusiasts that enjoy owning their own plane. Maintenance and upkeep is affordable for most of us who are now back in civilian life. The fuel is the most expensive item for me now that I have to pay my own bills.

While in the military, I mainly flew the F/A 18 Hornet. Sure I flew off and onto carriers. I was an active aviator in the Marines for 16 years. My first assignment was into the middle east.

It was near the end of my career and on a clear Wednesday afternoon in Miami when we were preparing to land. We were given permission and given our runway number for landing, which matched what we had on our flight plan, so there would be no runway change. Pilots hate it when their runway is changed from what was given to them in their flight plan.

We were in our final approach and at about 2500 feet. The controller tells us that our gate is blocked by another United plane and maintenance is doing a tire change. They were being told that it would still be about 15 minutes before the plane would be ready for pushback. I asked for a parking spot on the tarmac, but the controller said he wasn't able to provide one at that time, so I asked him what are we suppose to do. He asked me how much fuel I had remaining. I lied and told him maybe about 20-30 minutes, which we did have about an hour remaining. The controller became quiet. I thought he was asking me how much fuel I had because he was going to put me in a holding pattern, which is never a good thing and that is why I told him it was less than what we did have.

A minute or so later, I asked if I could get another gate. Again, he says no, all gates are either full or will be shortly. I asked again, what were we supposed to do. He asks me what do you want to do. I told him that I wanted to land. He tells me OK, land. I ask him, then what. He tells me that he will have a plan for me when I land. I ask for vectors to the outer marker and now we are back into our landing sequence. Just as we are touching down, the controller tells us to exit at Taxiway Delta (D) and proceed to Taxiway Foxtrot (F) that is not being used and park. OK, so now we sit for almost a half hour, burning fuel and with passengers busting at the seams to deplane. This is what our life (as part of a flight crew) is like sometimes.

I'm not sure of the depth myself, but with it being a river (Hudson River), I would guess it to be less than 50 feet.
I thought he did an excellent job of landing (ditching) his plane in the Hudson. The irony is that I can remember reading an article in our pilot's magazine that Sully had written about water landings. He was considered an expert in this field. I also went to see the movie and even though it did have some Hollywood propaganda crap in it, I thought it was well done. Sully got all the honors that he was worthy to receive.

I also want add that pilots who often fly over large bodies of water will practice ditching while in a simulator. Unlike landing in a river, landing in an ocean is a much greater challenge due to the waves and tides. Often, the plane will be either rolled or tossed on its side. Either movement will cause the plane to possibly tear apart or perhaps tear a hole in the side. Landing in a river is more predictable and is more controllable, but landing in an ocean, well, it may be lights out.

Interesting info oldman.

I can imagine with your description the fright and danger associated w/landing in a river vs landing in an ocean!

Hey oldman didn't we have a thread somewhere about 1549 in the Earthsciences or Travel subforums? I know we did a comprehensive thing on it somewhere but I can't find it.

Anyway here is the Hudson River stuff.

us-airways-1549.jpeg

ZBQ6RGDQJZG4ROTWCNGFQ4DC2I.jpg

1415660492141.jpg

rtrlthree213622.jpg

A-crane-moves-the-crashed-001.jpg

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/coast-pilot/files/cp2/CPB2_C12_WEB.pdf

www.untappedcities.com/2017/03/30/the-top-10-secrets-of-the-hudson-river-nyc/

https://dec.ny.gov/lands/4923.html

www.janetpanic.com/where-is-the-deepest-part-of-the-hudson-river/

www.bwog.com/2019/03/back-of-the-envelope-bodies-in-the-hudson/

www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/nyregion/25crash.html

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121345792

www.wired.com/2010/05/ntsb-makes-recommendations-after-miracle-on-the-hudson-investigation/

https://abcnews.go.com/travel/story?id=6811078&page=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_Flight_1549

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sully_Sullenberger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_Duty

Last edited:
I agree. Sullenberger’s landing on the Hudson was a miracle. Kudos to him.
On one flight over the Med, we were still 6 miles from the carrier when we had engine failure. After three attempts to do a restart, I informed the Air Boss on the carrier that we were preparing to eject. He had our position and was alerting the ship’s Commander. I tried another restart with no luck. As I placed my hand on the ejection lever, I gave it one last try. Luck was with us on that day. We had a restart and landed on the deck safely. Maintenance told us that we had a faulty oxygen module in the engine.

Last edited:
Whenever I see the US Air plane in the river as in the picture above, I get a flashback of the Florida Air jet that left Washington going down to Florida. On takeoff, the pilot barely got the plane airborne. It struck a railing on a bridge over the Potomac, hit a car and then ditched the plane into the Potomac on a very cold, snowy day. One hero jumped into the freezing water to rescue one passenger. A few others survived, but most of the passengers perished in the water.

The NTSB investigation showed the plane had icing on the wings. It’s true that planes can fly with a very light coating of ice on the wings, however, this plane had been sitting at the gate and then taxied out and then sat in line waiting for departure clearance. These delays caused severe icing on the wings. According to the NTSB, the Captain thought if he could get close enough to the plane in front of him while in line, the heat from the plane’s exhaust would melt the ice. This is rushing it and being in too much of a hurry. The Captain did not want the delay he would have had with getting out of line and having the plane deiced.

Plain foolishness. That’s taking chances and one thing all pilots learn early in our careers is to never take chances. Planes do not always give a second chance.

Back