Uncomfortable situations traveling alone....

I met so many interesting seat-mates on the plane while I was traveling internationally. Most of them were young people. There was one Mom with her teenage daughter, taking her to Sydney to be signed to a record deal. There was also a man who didn't speak one word during the flight, but said "goodbye, enjoy your stay" at the end of the trip. He was obviously a singer, as he was looking over a musical score. I don't know who he was though. On my last trip from Australia to Toronto, I was not at all well. I slept most of the way (some 22 hrs. or so). I must have looked pretty bad, and think I probably was also snoring :giggle:. When I came to, I had missed a meal or two, and the guy on the other side of an empty seat looked a bit concerned. I had a ginger ale, and lived to see another day.

I met so many interesting seat-mates on the plane while I was traveling internationally. Most of them were young people. There was one Mom with her teenage daughter, taking her to Sydney to be signed to a record deal. There was also a man who didn't speak one word during the flight, but said "goodbye, enjoy your stay" at the end of the trip. He was obviously a singer, as he was looking over a musical score. I don't know who he was though. On my last trip from Australia to Toronto, I was not at all well. I slept most of the way (some 22 hrs. or so). I must have looked pretty bad, and think I probably was also snoring :giggle:. When I came to, I had missed a meal or two, and the guy on the other side of an empty seat looked a bit concerned. I had a ginger ale, and lived to see another day.
This is true, Pinky. A lot of people think that most people want to be left alone while flying. Not so, says Condé Nast Traveler. If your seat partner appears to want to sleep, then they should be left alone. If they bring a book along to read and open immediately upon boarding, they also should be left alone. However, if they don’t pull their book out immediately or are just sitting in their seat with their arms folded or their earbuds in their ears, then it may be likely that they would engage in a conversation.

I have flown as (what we call) a dead head. IOW, I am flying to another city to get to my flight. So often, I have been sitting in uniform and my seat partner would immediately engage me in a conversation. People seem to be very interested in flying and what’s going on in the cockpit and the noises they hear.

I was on a flight from D.C. to Chicago and sitting in coach beside a young lady. As we were accelerating down the runway, the plane made a loud humming noise. She looked at me and asked, “OMG, what’s that noise?” I smiled at her and told her that what she was hearing were the fans in the engines and as the plane climbs, the pilot will cut back on the thrust and this will cause the fans to make less noise and will eventually go away all together. She was relieved to hear that.

Back