understanding goverment by the people

Our particular form of democracy is unique, it is probably not suitable for other countries. It is a republic, it is governed by the people, it is laid down in the most basic form in our declaration of independence and constitution, it is watched over by the three powers we set for rules, the presidential, the legaslative, the court and over the years we have modified it to take into account the changing times by vote, by the free expression of the will of the people.yea or nay we all accepted what was voted, if you didnt vote that is your problem yet you still live here freely able to express your opions. I have been to war in uniform, I lived in the sixties and seen the haight, I have had the *&$#$*()$ people tell me things that were there not laws they would not have lived long, It took a long long time and age to understand what it was I fought for!
I have said enough!!!!!!!!!!

Our particular form of democracy is unique, it is probably not suitable for other countries. It is a republic, it is governed by the people, it is laid down in the most basic form in our declaration of independence and constitution, it is watched over by the three powers we set for rules, the presidential, the legaslative, the court and over the years we have modified it to take into account the changing times by vote, by the free expression of the will of the people.yea or nay we all accepted what was voted, if you didnt vote that is your problem yet you still live here freely able to express your opions. I have been to war in uniform, I lived in the sixties and seen the haight, I have had the *&$#$*()$ people tell me things that were there not laws they would not have lived long, It took a long long time and age to understand what it was I fought for!
I have said enough!!!!!!!!!!
Our current problem is that it's breaking down. That said, there's been gridlock before and we got through it. There's been rule by the minority (which we now pretty much have), but we've gotten through it. Etc. I suppose we'll get through it all this time, too.

I believe that the bones of our government are still sound but our attitude as Americans needs work.

IMO we have too many people taking and not enough people contributing for our democracy to survive and thrive long term.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine and what's yours is negotiable." - John F. Kennedy

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

- John F. Kennedy

"In its purest form American democracy is the turkey, you are standing next to, has as many rights; as you do." what the hell does this mean???????????
I think he's trying to make a statement that we are all created equal and have the same equal rights no matter, our color, religion, sex, national origin, etc., etc. Jeff Bozo and I have the same rights. (supposedly)

To remain a world power, and to ensure the government holds equal, or in some cases, more power than The People, our elected branches of government have always fiddled with the laws of the land via new interpretations of existing law, the creation of new laws, and by amending the constitution in ways that are not necessarily beneficial to The People. Practically from it's inception, our gov't has been dissolving our power and increasing their own, just to make themselves rich and powerful.

That time the people stormed the White House recently? That's OUR house. We built it for presidents to use temporarily, for their convenience. I remember when the White House was cordoned off after somebody landed a helicopter on the front lawn. It's not supposed to be cordoned off. I realize it's for the protection of the president, but that's why we pay for a Secret Service. I'm sure everyone's ok with a sign that says "No helicopter's allowed", and peace and respect should be required, but the White House shouldn't be cordoned off from the people. It makes us forget who's supposed to be in charge.

To remain a world power, and to ensure the government holds equal, or in some cases, more power than The People, our elected branches of government have always fiddled with the laws of the land via new interpretations of existing law, the creation of new laws, and by amending the constitution in ways that are not necessarily beneficial to The People. Practically from it's inception, our gov't has been dissolving our power and increasing their own, just to make themselves rich and powerful.

That time the people stormed the White House recently? That's OUR house. We built it for presidents to use temporarily, for their convenience. I remember when the White House was cordoned off after somebody landed a helicopter on the front lawn. It's not supposed to be cordoned off. I realize it's for the protection of the president, but that's why we pay for a Secret Service. I'm sure everyone's ok with a sign that says "No helicopter's allowed", and peace and respect should be required, but the White House shouldn't be cordoned off from the people. It makes us forget who's supposed to be in charge.
Are you thinking of the Capitol, Murrmurr, in January?

WE are the PEOPLE. The problem is that we don't realize it. We can do something about all of this -- with our votes. But we don't. We complain about government and keep sending the same people back there.

Are you thinking of the Capitol, Murrmurr, in January?

WE are the PEOPLE. The problem is that we don't realize it. We can do something about all of this -- with our votes. But we don't. We complain about government and keep sending the same people back there.
Oh yeah, the Capitol Building.

You know, there was a time when it was perfectly legal, and in fact, a patriotic duty, to storm the legislature and tar & feather any representative who was considered a scoundrel. The good old days. :p

Our government bounces from Mess to Mess...but compared to what the people in some other nations have to contend with, we are quite lucky.
I agree Don. We have been, but to think it will just continue to drift along in this vane while we increase the amount of killing over trivialities seems a bit optimistic. I hope you're right but when, in the past years did it even cross your mind, when heading out to shop or enjoy yourself that there might be some nut just looking for an excuse to shoot you over some perceived act that HE considered inappropriate.

People even carrying weapons was a rarity, at least in my past years and home a, unless they were going hunting or returning home.

I believe that the bones of our government are still sound but our attitude as Americans needs work.

IMO we have too many people taking and not enough people contributing for our democracy to survive and thrive long term.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine and what's yours is negotiable." - John F. Kennedy

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

- John F. Kennedy
Hi Aunt Bea. I believe very strongly that all levels of gov't have intentionally shaped our attitude to their benefit. And that's particularly easy when they have the media on board. People didn't start taking until the gov't started giving, and when it gives a lot, people take a lot. I also believe that the gov't has held people back, limited their financial success, so that they depend on gov't relief, and will take all they can get. Whether that's by design or just collateral damage while they themselves gain riches and power, I'm not sure. And maybe they are so removed from the lives of the people who are effected, they are completely unaware of the damage they cause.

Hi Aunt Bea. I believe very strongly that all levels of gov't have intentionally shaped our attitude to their benefit. And that's particularly easy when they have the media on board. People didn't start taking until the gov't started giving, and when it gives a lot, people take a lot. I also believe that the gov't has held people back, limited their financial success, so that they depend on gov't relief, and will take all they can get. Whether that's by design or just collateral damage while they themselves gain riches and power, I'm not sure. And maybe they are so removed from the lives of the people who are effected, they are completely unaware of the damage they cause.
Government has nothing to give anyone except what it takes from someone else.

How has the government kept people from getting out of bed and going to school to get an education or get a job?

Last edited:
Some of us know, but in some states they don't teach government in grade school anymore. And it's an elective course in higher levels of education.
And Florida just passed a new civics curriculum that doesn't mention the word "slavery" and teaches the civil war as being fought strictly over states' rights.

Our particular form of democracy is unique.
I would argue differently:
The vast majority of the rules and regulations guiding this nation have roots reaching back all the way to the British. The founding fathers of the United States of America wanted to set up a democracy. They were aiming for a government "elected every few years by popular vote" (Farndorn 2003, 47). The founders of the nation succeeded in this feat and it was made possible by what they knew from the British. The government of Great Britain had benefits and flaws throughout it and it became the goal of the creators of the United States government to pick out the good and apply it as well as use the knowledge of what they disliked to form new rules and regulations.

The Constitution of the United States was written outlining the whole government process. When writing the document, the founding fathers looked to the Magna Carta, English Bill of Rights as well as the Petition of Right as guiding factors. Since they admired these documents they were able to use the given information to help with the formation of the Constitution. Had the Americans not had negative interactions with the British, then they would not have gone into the new formation of a government with such distinct goals. It becomes apparent that without the British, American government as it is today would cease to exist. Through all of the hardships and struggles between colonial America and the countries overseas, there have been significant positive outcomes. The British ruling systems had huge influence over the government formed for the United States of America.

https://sites.google.com/site/ashleighthoman/independent-study-political-behavior/term-paper

For what it's worth, in that I'm not seeking that British is best. America has vast amounts of natural resources that makes it a rich country, then again so does the combined wealth of Latin America. North America, that is the US & Canada adopted the British style of democracy, Latin America had it's wealth plundered by the Spanish conquistadors. The legacy of which, North America lives with today.

john adams used the term 'representative democracy' in 1794; so did noah webster in 1785; so did st. george tucker in his 1803 edition of blackstone; so did thomas jefferson in 1815. for whatever reason our form of government is still unique....

"quote irwin"This biggest problem is that some people seem to be allowed to break the law with impunity. Actually, it's even worse than that. They break laws with enthusiastic support of their followers.
who are you referring to???

Back