URGENT !....."Glide" floss recall.

IKE

It was on the evening news a little bit ago about "Glide" brand floss made by Oral B causing cancer and bowel problems and if you had any to throw it away......see attached link.

We checked and we had eleven 4.3 yd. samples that were given to us by our dentists after cleanings and we just threw it all away......you may want to check your floss supply.

Products_GlideProHealthDeepCleanMintFloss_1200x1200(1).png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-build-toxic-chemicals-body-cause-cancer.html

We've been using the Glide floss for years and I don't see a need to throw it out. I didn't look that the UK link, but here's something from USA news, HERE.

USA Today reports Oral-B says it did not find any of the substances in the study in its floss , and the floss always undergoes safety testing.

Oral-B released a statement in response to the study.

"We have confirmed none of the substances in the report are used in our dental floss," Oral-B said in a statement. "The safety of the people who use our products is our top priority. Our dental floss undergoes thorough safety testing and we stand behind the safety of all our products."

https://nypost.com/2019/01/09/oral-b-glide-dental-floss-linked-to-toxic-pfas-chemicals-study-says/

This is nothing to smile about.

Oral-B Glide dental floss contributes to elevated levels of toxic PFAS chemicals in the body, according to a new study from the Silent Spring Institute in collaboration with the Public Health Institute in Berkeley, California.

Scientists are concerned about widespread exposure to PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) in the population because the water- and grease-proof substances have been linked with kidney and testicular cancer, thyroid disease, high cholesterol, low birth weight, decreased fertility and immune system damage.

Gee, why do we need chemicals on a piece of string?
We don't.
Use white thread.

I'm suspicious of the 'study' because there are so many other sources of PFAs in drinking water, packaging products, carpeting, etc. How can they pinpoint any levels of PFAs in the blood to floss usage and not all these other sources? Also, Oral B has stated they do not use PFAs in their floss, should that be completely ignored?

https://www.nbc26.com/lifestyle/health/study-finds-dangerous-chemical-in-popular-dental-floss

USA Today reports Oral-B says it did not find any of the substances in the study in its floss , and the floss always undergoes safety testing.

Other things that contain high PFAs, according to the study, are stain-resistant household goods such as carpet and furniture. And if a city's water is contaminated, PFAs are usually in it.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists some hygiene products and microwave bags also potentially containing PFAs.

Oral-B released a statement in response to the study.

"We have confirmed none of the substances in the report are used in our dental floss," Oral-B said in a statement. "The safety of the people who use our products is our top priority. Our dental floss undergoes thorough safety testing and we stand behind the safety of all our products."

https://silentspring.org/research-update/dental-flossing-and-other-behaviors-linked-higher-levels-pfas-body

Other behaviors that were associated with higher PFAS levels included having stain-resistant carpet or furniture and living in a city served by a PFAS-contaminated drinking water supply.

Additionally, among African American women, those who frequently ate prepared food in coated cardboard containers, such as French fries or takeout, had elevated blood levels of four PFAS chemicals compared to women who rarely ate such food. The researchers did not see the same relationship with prepared food among non-Hispanic whites.

Overall, non-Hispanic whites tended to have higher levels of two PFAS chemicals, PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) and PFHxS, compared with African Americans. The researchers could not explain the differences, suggesting that there are other behaviors they didn’t measure that contribute to PFAS exposure.

“Overall, this study strengthens the evidence that consumer products are an important source of PFAS exposure,” says Boronow. “Restricting these chemicals from products should be a priority to reduce levels in people’s bodies.”

http://www.health.ri.gov/water/about/pfas/

Studies show that human exposure to PFAS is widespread and most people in the United States and in other industrialized countries have measurable amounts of PFAS in their blood.

In fact, it is unlikely that anyone, even if they did not drink contaminated water, will have a level of “zero” PFAS in their blood.

US manufacturers of PFAS-related products phased out production of PFOS by 2002 and PFOA by 2013, although US production of shorter chain PFAS continues. Based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data, levels of PFOA and PFOS have been decreasing in the blood of the general population since they were phased out.

However, these compounds remain in the human body for years after exposure and in the environment for longer, so it will be a long time before they disappear from blood.

SB I only posted the recall notice and news link to warn others here on the forum after it was said on the evening news last night that Glide floss was potentially harmful and to dispose of it.....now with all the additional info posted to the contrary above I suppose it will be up to each individual to decide what they wish to believe and how to react.

In our case we feel it's better to be safe than sorry.....we decided to err on the side of caution and dispose of all the Glide floss.

I know Ike, thanks for posting the warning. I only looked into it further because we've been using it for so long, and I have two family packs of it that I bought from Costco that aren't even opened yet. We all have to do what we feel is best for ourselves. :)

I use these...
I could never get the hang of using floss properly...

I use those proxabrushes too Holly, only it's the GUM brand, I buy two different sized one for wider spaces and one for narrow. I eat a tiny seeded muffin (Aussie Bites) in the morning, and I have to head straight to a
proxabrush afterwards, the seeds drive me crazy. :p

Back