Useful Advice

Classroom-Quotes-Feature.jpg

If life gives you lemons, make lemon juice.

HOWEVER

If you have grandchildren about to graduate from high school and applying for college, you may want to advise them that a B.A. is NOT the end of education. B.A. degrees are nowadays almost as common as high school diplomas in the past. To make money, they usually will need a postgraduate professional degree.

My neighbor's daughter is graduating from Loma Linda University as a dental hygienist and has already three job offers for around $82,000. A friend's daughter graduated a few years ago from a community college as a nurse and already makes well over $100,000. I personally know teachers who earn well over $100,000 with an M.A. degree and some thirty years of teaching. On the other hand, UPS drivers without college education will soon make even more UPS says drivers to make $170,000 in pay and benefits following union deal. But the betting average is that you will do better with an advanced college degree.

Southern California pays well but also has a high cost of living. I wouldn't be surprised if salaries in Alabama were only half that much.

Before your grandchildren decide on a major for their studies, you may want to advise them reading the Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics It has a section on promising jobs for the future and their salaries. Mind you: A.I. will make many jobs superfluous. Los Angeles has supposedly 60,000 homeless people on the streets; they missed the boat.

It is not a joke that some taxi drivers in New York City have a Ph.D. They may have studied philosophy for which there are hardly any job openings. I know first hand that a community college in Escondido had 60 qualified applicants for one teaching job in German. So, your grandchildren should be carefully considering where and how to invest their scarce time and money.

And please don't trust counselors at private universities. They may give potential students wrong information and false hopes just for the purpose of filling empty classrooms. Caveat emptor.

An interesting article: More employers now say they’re willing to hire workers without a college degree. But is that playing out?
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/08/success/no-college-degree-options-better-jobs/index.html

Last edited:

Back