Utility Bills Gone Crazy

A problem I don't know the answer to is the lack of competition for utilities. For the most part we have just one service provider with no opportunity for competition. It seems that is the nature of how utilities work, just one set of wires or pipes, so just one supplier.

In other businesses competition helps solve at least some of the problems people are talking about here.

There are many different companies here Alligatorob, several
went bust last year, I was with one, but there are still a lot, there
was a little competition, but that has gone and they have jumped
together to the top charge when the Government put a cap on the
prices, but raised that cap, starting tomorrow, so we all will have to
pay to live.

Plus, they want all petrol and diesel vehicles off the road by 2040 I
think, not too sure of the date, but nobody will be able to afford to
charge their electric cars and trucks.

Mike.

There are many different companies here Alligatorob, several
went bust last year, I was with one, but there are still a lot, there
was a little competition, but that has gone and they have jumped
together to the top charge when the Government put a cap on the
prices, but raised that cap, starting tomorrow, so we all will have to
pay to live.

Plus, they want all petrol and diesel vehicles off the road by 2040 I
think, not too sure of the date, but nobody will be able to afford to
charge their electric cars and trucks.

Mike.
Never mind affording it, without petrol, what will they use for those roadside emergency's? :unsure:

complete.jpg

Damn Mike! So far I've only had my electric bills go up during the summer due to air conditioner use. Even with that, my average annual electric bill is $71 a month. My bills can be anywhere between $58 and $68 during non-summer months. And has gone up as high as $115 for the summer months. Our heat and hot water are included in our carrying charges (aka HOA fees).

I hope that somehow those energy saving steps you took will still save money. Is my thinking incorrect to say that if you hadn't bought those things you bill would be even much higher with the increase without them?

Last edited:
Obscene is a good word!

View attachment 222922
yes it's the same here... as you know HC... 54% the electricity and gas bill went up on April 1st.. with no extra in pensions.. and with food gone up significantly, and fuel.. it's a nightmare.. However you need to stop getting those bills estimated.. .I'm on a fixed rate until the end of the year..

Last edited:
I'm not looking forward to summer. The AC unit at my apartment is older. Probably the original so it's about 25 years old. I had no payment on my last PG&E bill with a 37 dollar credit. Because I'm low use I guess. Now we have the higher rates 4-9 pm. I'm trying to use as little as possible during those hours but the AC will have to run in the summer and I keep my AC 80-82 degrees.

Just a "friendly" suggestion here. If you can't pay your bills or buy groceries, maybe some folks should think long and hard why they have a dog or 2 in the house. The American Kennel Club estimates that the average owner spends $2,000 US on a dog. That's $166/month; never mind the time you give in caring for "the mutt."

They should think long and hard about that smartphone and internet plan costs them. Research shows that the average cost of having a smartphone is $1,900/year. That's $158/month.

You just might be living "high on the hog" and that hog is costing you money! If you got a doggie and your walking around starring at the bad news on your smartphone, you are spending $324/month. That could buy you plenty to eat or pay some other bill! In the end, it's your choice!

Just a "friendly" suggestion here. If you can't pay your bills or buy groceries, maybe some folks should think long and hard why they have a dog or 2 in the house. The American Kennel Club estimates that the average owner spends $2,000 US on a dog. That's $166/month; never mind the time you give in caring for "the mutt."
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Sounds like a great suggestion. However, I don't think dog lovers will opt for it. I've read a few threads on another forum where some canine owners eat canned food in order do whatever is necessary to maintain their pooches.

Last edited:

They should think long and hard about that smartphone and internet plan costs them. Research shows that the average cost of having a smartphone is $1,900/year. That's $158/month.

You just might be living "high on the hog" and that hog is costing you money! If you got a doggie and your walking around starring at the bad news on your smartphone, you are spending $324/month. That could buy you plenty to eat or pay some other bill! In the end, it's your choice!
John I think that "average" cost must be for family plans. If not, that's crazy! I have MetroPCS and pay $60 a month for their unlimited plan which includes great hotspot connection for my phone and tablet when I'm out and about. It also includes free Amazon Prime. Like you, I thought about how much it must cost pet owners to keep their pets, but people love their fur babies...they are family after all, so that might be a difficult call albeit a financially practical one.

We each seem to find room in our budget for those things that are most important to us.

food-drink-one_man_s_meat_is_another_man_s_poison-meat-meat_eaters-invests-investors-hsc3802_low.jpg

Last edited:

I have three "mutts". Yes they are expensive. The third one, the most expensive to care for, came to me when his owner died. He is a pure blood 88#chow. He eats a lot, his meds for heart worm are high, he has expensive grooming. He was also the constant companion of our best family friend. I would never have gotten a dog that size that requires that much care. An animal does not cost $166 per month.

When he died he was on the phone with another friend when he had a heart attack. His last words were to take care of Bear. So, I do. To tell you the immense life long friendship had no bounds. He left his estate to my son.

I do not have a cell phone at all. It is not something I need. I don't have to worry about scam calls or hacking. The big dog is also my security system and keeps door to door people away!

I don't know enough about England and what goes on there. And I don't know enough about the utilities over there.

But this I can say...many, many people have had some success in approaching companies and literally negotiating down their bills!!!

Our friend Martta had a $13,000 hospital bill. She called them, was very firm with them and got them to cut thousands off of the bill.

I personally have never done that, but, like I said, I know people who have.

So, I would research this a bit...and find out if there is some way to grab more authority over these issues and these bills.

Just did a quick Google search on "how to negotiate down a utility bill"

and articles do come up, if folks want to look into this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...160j33i299.7878j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The only utility bill I have negotiated for was a water bill. I had a water leak that I was unaware of until I received the bill. They did work with me on it.

As far as gas or electric, I have a very good rate per unit on my electric which I look in 2 years at a time. I check all other companies at renewal time to make sure I am getting the lowest price. In the hot months, use ceiling fans and room fans wherever I am at certain times of the day. If I am not in the room the fans are not running. I wear a tshirt and shorts in the house in the summer. I love the cold in the winter. Don't have to run the gas heater much in the winter, just wear sweats or flannel pjs, and use a throw.

Water, I take the so-called navy showers. Make sure I have a full load for laundry. Only use the dishwasher once a week and when I wash by hand. I fill the sink, wash everything, place things in second sink. Drain soapy, dirty water, refill with clean water to rinse everything. I don't even leave water running when brushing my teeth. Any water I use in cooking, boiling anything, I poor it down the bathroom sinks with some vinegar and baking soda to keep the pipes clean.

I do not have a beautiful lawn anymore. I water just enough to keep the grass from total death. I will water my vegetables but they pay me in kind.

Just a note here. I am not suggesting you should give up "man's best friend." I'm only saying that there is a cost in keeping a dog or cat or canery or whatever. Years ago, on the farm, rover just ran around and ate anything he could find. Sometimes it was the chickens! LOL Keeping a dog on the farm was cheap but in the city it is a different story. You make your choices in life. Keeping pets! Gambling! Travel! Smartphone! Computers! They all cost money. If you got the money, hey no problem. But if your "starvin' marvin' or can't pay the hydro and the bill collectors are phoning almost everyday, you gotta to make some tough decisions and maybe give up something. Best of luck!

There are multiple studies which indicate many senior‘s mental and physical health are negatively affected if they don’t have pets. For many of us they are family. For some, the only family they have.🥰

Last edited:
I see your point @Packerjohn. Pets are an expense, for sure. I don't know exactly what the monthly costs are for my dog because they vary. Typically, I have her groomed monthly ($70), then there's her meds (about $30/mth), health insurance ($52/mth), and food and treats (guessing about $75/mth but maybe a little more). In addition, she goes to the vet twice a year for check-ups and immunizations and has her teeth cleaned every other year. Plus there's the ancillary stuff like brushes, harnesses, leashes, etc.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but I mention all of this to say that your comment is valid. Pets can cost a lot of money. But I can't surrender my little furbaby to anyone and I know you're not suggesting that. She's so attached to me and I to her. She has a great life here and she adds a lot of happiness to my life. If I need to sacrifice at some point to continue to give her what she has become accustomed to, then I will.

Back