Vietnam Veterans Day.

Served in the USAF to avoid being a grunt with an M16 wading through leech, mosquito, and snake infested Mekong Delta swamps. But was stationed within the Pacific theater, but never in Viet Nam or any active war zone. Some of my childhood friends never came back and I'm forever scarred in other ways.

I am a Vietnam 'era' veteran and a retired vet. I was in pilot training when it ended. I wanted to go and see history being made. But since then I have changed my mind. I read the post above giving facts about the wall, the age of the kids who died, and it sickens me when I think of the uselessness of it all. What a waste and not of their making. The ultimate sacrifice was given and to what end? Society and life went on without them. They were all heroes and I am proud of them, but is a name on a wall enough for a life given? Save your anger at me. Try and understand, this is just one old man's opinion. I was one of you and on your side. I'm just glad I'm not on that wall because it's just not enough. God bless them all.

My future husband at the time was refused by the army so he joined the Navy. They accepted him and fortunately, he never went to Viet Nam.
Many years later When my son was in Kindergarten I volunteered at his school his teacher's last name was the same as the boy I went to school with. I asked Her if he was her son. She teared up and said yes. Then she told me he died in the Viet Nam war. Then I cried.

I spent most of three years of the war in a carrier in the South China Sea. After 5 years my time was up and I returned to the States. Exposed to civilian reporting I came to realize what a damnable mistake that war was.

I spent a little time there, when my wife, and I were married it was the happiest I have ever been, just to wake up next to her and see her face ment everything to me, to see her teaching the the kids, or nursing some child's wounds gave me a warm feeling inside, when she was killed my world came to an end, not a day go by that I don't think of Kim.

Back