Waiting In A Line For A Great Meal.

fmdog44

Houston has several exceptional BBQ places. Some have lines of people that nearly wrap around a city block on a daily basis. While I love the food I will never wait 1-2 hours standing in a line. The funny thing is you hear stories about places that run out of what you want so you stood in line for nothing. Then there is a burger chain, In N Out Burgers that opened near me recently that you have to wait in lines to get in. No burger is that good especially when yo can fire up the grille at your own home.

It seems to be popular with Millennials to wait in line for food. My son and his wife used to do this regularly before Covid and before they had a baby. We'll see how willing they are to do this with a child once the Covid danger passes.

I would be willing to wait for up to an hour if the food is supposed to be phenomenal. We waited in line for 45 minutes to get into one of their favorite ramen places. I thought it was worth it.

Sometimes we're lucky and they get to the restaurant before us and wait and then let us join them when we're about to get in.

There's a sushi place near us that's very popular that has an online app where you wait online virtually and only have to show up 15 minutes before they expect to let you in. You can sign up to be in line from the comfort of your own home or wherever you are and then go there 15 minutes before your expected time.

5 minutes is my limit and even that aggravates me. I enjoy good food but care little about the ambiance. Polite and clean with good food makes it for me.

Anything beyond that is just window dressing and I neither want to wait or pay for that.

NOT A CHANCE.... don't care how good the food is...
We have a place we will hit for Prime Rib and if they say 20 minute wait we pass....
Part of our issue is we both can brag about being good cooks (actually have several asking us to start a restaurant)
and we can make better at home cheaper...

Then there is a burger chain, In N Out Burgers that opened near me recently that you have to wait in lines to get in. No burger is that good especially when yo can fire up the grille at your own home.
There is no In N Out Burgers here but no matter how long it takes I HAVE to go there when I visit my California family!!! Their animal fries are AMAZING!

Houston has several exceptional BBQ places. Some have lines of people that nearly wrap around a city block on a daily basis. While I love the food I will never wait 1-2 hours standing in a line. The funny thing is you hear stories about places that run out of what you want so you stood in line for nothing. Then there is a burger chain, In N Out Burgers that opened near me recently that you have to wait in lines to get in. No burger is that good especially when yo can fire up the grille at your own home.
I don’t like in and out burgers, so even if they didn’t have a line I would not buy their product 🤮

"There's a sushi place near us that's very popular that has an online app where you wait online virtually and only have to show up 15 minutes before they expect to let you in. You can sign up to be in line from the comfort of your own home or wherever you are and then go there 15 minutes before your expected time."

Also known as making a reservation. :whistle:

NOT A CHANCE.... don't care how good the food is...
We have a place we will hit for Prime Rib and if they say 20 minute wait we pass....
Part of our issue is we both can brag about being good cooks (actually have several asking us to start a restaurant)
and we can make better at home cheaper...
I have to add that my wife is a great cook. Reads and enjoys it almost like a hobby.

As for me, I can put together a terrific can of Campbell's soup, even with crackers, but change the brand and I might falter.☹️

"There's a sushi place near us that's very popular that has an online app where you wait online virtually and only have to show up 15 minutes before they expect to let you in. You can sign up to be in line from the comfort of your own home or wherever you are and then go there 15 minutes before your expected time."

Also known as making a reservation. :whistle:
Nope, not quite the same. They have a first come first serve policy so you can't make a reservation for a particular time. You get in line (either at the restaurant or online) behind everyone else who wants to dine there.

They don't take reservations. As a result they fill most of their spaces as they become available and don't waste a space if one party eats quickly while and leaves well before the next party that reserved it arrives.

I agree, FM.

A BIG forget it for me, too.

My husband reminds me often... "Marg, this is better than any restaurant can make".

Count me in on that for me too. If we do go out to eat, we go when nobody else does - dinner at 2:30 in the afternoon. We rarely go out to eat anyway, but when we do, it is between the times everybody else seems to want to go. Also, with regard to Marg's husband's wisdom, when we go out, we want to eat something that we wouldn't be able to make easily at home.

Tony

Count me in on that for me too. If we do go out to eat, we go when nobody else does - dinner at 2:30 in the afternoon. We rarely go out to eat anyway, but when we do, it is between the times everybody else seems to want to go. Also, with regard to Marg's husband's wisdom, when we go out, we want to eat something that we wouldn't be able to make easily at home.

Tony
That's us, too, as rare as it is for us to venture out for a meal.

Just how rare is it for us to go out and eat? It's been almost a year now since we last had a meal out.

That's us, too, as rare as it is for us to venture out for a meal.

Just how rare is it for us to go out and eat? It's been almost a year now since we last had a meal out.

My wife wanted to go out yesterday because the temperature reached above 50 degrees, so we did. At the time, we didn't realize how timely that was since now we will have the lock down closing restaurants for all but take out starting tomorrow.

Tony

We went to a local Tex-Mex restaurant and had burritos. We never really developed a taste for "fine" dining, though eating out is expensive no matter what these days.

Tony
That sounds delish.

We never developed a taste or love for fine dining either.

Many years ago we went a really nice restaurant and left hungry, and that essentially spelled the end of so called fine dining for us.

The finest dining of all IMO, is being in the comforts of ones very own home, where we can open up a bottle of wine (if we so wish), sit and relax, and enjoy food that's been prepared to my standards.

I have known two people who are so into dining out that when either one would go on a vacation, it wasn't the sites or activities they would relish (pardon the pun...), but instead it was the food - in excruciating detail with a blow by blow description of what was served and in what order. Both were guys, co-workers and as far as I recall, their wives were more into the experiences of the trip other than the food. Somebody came up with the term "foodie" for that, and now I hear it rather often (monkey see, monkey do, I suppose).

Tony

I will not go out for a meal due to the current virus situation. Most places have delivery options. I use that quite bit when I want a meal from a certain place. Every now and then I want a certain dinner from Mamacitos (sic) here in Houston and I will order a delivery. There are a lot of places you can get delivered.

I have known two people who are so into dining out that when either one would go on a vacation, it wasn't the sites or activities they would relish (pardon the pun...), but instead it was the food - in excruciating detail with a blow by blow description of what was served and in what order. Both were guys, co-workers and as far as I recall, their wives were more into the experiences of the trip other than the food. Somebody came up with the term "foodie" for that, and now I hear it rather often (monkey see, monkey do, I suppose).

Tony
One thing that both hubby and I are steadfast on, we will not eat after, or allow anyone to prepare anything food-wise for us at this time.

It will be another year, possibly longer before any restaurant sees the likes of us walk through their front doors.

One thing that both hubby and I are steadfast on, we will not eat after, or allow anyone to prepare anything food-wise for us at this time.

It will be another year, possibly longer before any restaurant sees the likes of us walk through their front doors.
We each have to find our own comfort level in this thing. We will occasionally order take out during the current lock down, but no more often than we would otherwise dine out.

Tony

Back