Want to move but need help finding another Senior, low-income apartment

I could never take the heat in FL, but no state income tax sounds good.
I only lasted one year in Florida (North Palm Beach), I hated the bugs and humidity and hurricanes. Usually, states with low something have a high something. Either the income tax or the sales tax or the property tax. They have to get your money one way or another to finance their government.

Ty Rose:) I live in the Apartment bldg behind the SC ;)

Are you aware of the Senior Blue Books, published for free ---for US cities.
They will mail them to you from Utah. Includes resources, agencies, health, assisted living places,
subsidized housing, section 8, HUD, and loads of ads for expensive senior
residences. Look it up. I have 2 of them.

I sort of wished I'd tried this earlier, but my pride is still leading me around, or, keeping me from letting people here know so much about me. I'm just not proud of my situation, and never will be. So without going into all about why I am a low-income senior, I would just like help in finding a place to move.

I now live in what they call Project 202 for Seniors over 62. I pay 1/3 of my income and that includes most utilities, usually, but not with all 202 housing I found out. I would like to find either 202 housing, or another they have called 515 Rural housing for Seniors. 55 and older is fine with me, and I've considered the Section 8, so I did apply for a voucher which I don't have yet.

The best site I have found to locate housing like the above, is here: https://affordablehousingonline.com/ It covers the U.S.

I would like to hear from folks that might have low-income housing, or know of, in their area. If anyone has info on places outside of California, I am also open to moving out of this State. My main hope is to find something that has a balcony or patio area for the tenants. And well, actually, good maintenance and landlords.

Most of the places I have found don't have reviews to read, so it's difficult to know what you are getting into.

So, with all that said, I'm just going to post this and hope that maybe someone can help me with suggestions. I do have good credit (very good according to the bank) and excellent rental references.

Forgot to mention private messages welcome

Denise, I am up to speed on this effort..but I dont want to write a book about ii ,or a pamphlet either -I will be happy to give you my phone number and we can discuss at a time that is good for both of us. however, from my experience --it is not a rosy future- as far as the 202 goes roughly it changes from complex, county, state, hud, lender to the complex, and other layers of bureaucratic bs ..-has to do with your agi(adjusted gross income) and the agi of the county state town etc....so it is tighly controlled for irs reasons hud and other state and federal agencies--202 "can" mean 80% of the units are subsidized and 20% are NOT-- the are NOT can be rented for market rate that is what you and I want .. normally waiting lists, and perhaps undesirable nieghbors, landlords, and maintenance etc--

sooooooioo talk if you like. my state has a listing pretty much current nevertheless cumbersome and confusing.

use my email address same name gmail --to set up call .thanks

I live in a senior living apartment complex. I did not have to be on a waiting list because I was in a bad situation and when that happens (at least here in NY) they put you on the top of the list. It was a lot of red tape to go through, but it was worth every single page of the 28 page application I had to fill out twice. Right now we have three empty one bedroom apartments available and two have been empty for about 2 months. I can't say anything bad about it or the people who live in it. I love it and my apartment especially.

I sort of wished I'd tried this earlier, but my pride is still leading me around, or, keeping me from letting people here know so much about me. I'm just not proud of my situation, and never will be. So without going into all about why I am a low-income senior, I would just like help in finding a place to move.

I now live in what they call Project 202 for Seniors over 62. I pay 1/3 of my income and that includes most utilities, usually, but not with all 202 housing I found out. I would like to find either 202 housing, or another they have called 515 Rural housing for Seniors. 55 and older is fine with me, and I've considered the Section 8, so I did apply for a voucher which I don't have yet.

The best site I have found to locate housing like the above, is here: https://affordablehousingonline.com/ It covers the U.S.

I would like to hear from folks that might have low-income housing, or know of, in their area. If anyone has info on places outside of California, I am also open to moving out of this State. My main hope is to find something that has a balcony or patio area for the tenants. And well, actually, good maintenance and landlords.

Most of the places I have found don't have reviews to read, so it's difficult to know what you are getting into.

So, with all that said, I'm just going to post this and hope that maybe someone can help me with suggestions. I do have good credit (very good according to the bank) and excellent rental references.

Have you looked into HUD housing?

Franklin Towers in Maine. Balcony included.

Are you active in your place of worship? They usually have all kinds of activities for older folks. Mine has older ladies activities and coed trips and events. We go to a movie, trips to local places, see the bluebonnets, etc. Not sure if that would be your cup of tea but you might check it out. You could mix and mingle with others your age and they might know of some housing.

Thanks @hollydolly ;) I was desperate, well, slight exaggeration, back then. Now I can really choose, take my time to find more the type of area I want to live in. And maybe as time goes by, I may just feel more roots here.

I NEVER thought I'd be living in California if you'd asked me if I would 6 or 7 years ago, but here I am. I am checking out some nice areas (things to do and more population) much further South. I found a good link/site to explain the different "types" of Senior Low-income housing to some folks that may be able to use it. I just don't let up when it comes to utilizing the internet ;)

I think that "gypsy" in my soul is still alive and well. I've always loved going new places, and meeting new people. My dad was like that too, I must have inherited it from him. I didn't know much about him but he spent a lot of time with his other family which I am so glad for him. They were all very close, holidays etc. I think I'd have been glad settling up near them. The one I was closest too, a nephew, died recently and crushed my heart. Now I don't want to go up to visit because I didn't get my ass up there while he was still living :(

I wonder sometimes why I've always felt I was in the way when with the family I grew up with. Another thread I guess, sorry everyone, to ramble.
https://www.after55.com/blog/how-find-low-income-senior-housing/
After 55 , Senior Housing, 100 State Street
Portland Maine
A piano in the all glass lobby. Very modern. Inside mailboxes, mini store, library patio and deck.

@Denise1952, have you found something yet?

I read there's a place you're looking at near an Amtrak station? I'd love to be in a place like that. I'm also in CA, it would be great if our paths cross.

Back