Want To See If There's Consensus On Laundry Scent Additives

None of the above! And ditch the plug-in air fresheners, while you're at it. You've heard the Madison Avenue phrase "Find a need and fill it" right? These things are all bad bad bad for your lungs and especially hard on people with allergies.

I think it's first one company or industry does find an insecurity, develop a product to address the source of the insecurity and then start putting out information that highlights or exaggerates the insecurity. At that point Madison Avenue can fill the need that didn't exist before.

I'm fairly sure that there are several enzymes and other components which do improve the performance of detergents. I'm not expert but I would be willing to guess that there are detergents these days that would outperform anything from the 50's.
Long ago we used phosphates in our detergents and they really cleaned! But it was discovered how dangerous they were for the environment so there's been a ban on them for many years.

Long ago we used phosphates in our detergents and they really cleaned! But it was discovered how dangerous they were for the environment so there's been a ban on them for many years.

I'd forgotten about that. Could be that the phosphates work better than any enzymes or anything else they've come up with since. However I'd rather have clean water than clean laundry.

I have an issue with all these chemicals that are going on my clothes that are going on my body...I just saw a tv commercial for some Lysol additive and thinking plain old soap and water has worked for years with a little bleach when called for.
Not sure it's not just another way to part us from our money.Just IMHO.

Everything for washing or drying clothes must be unscented. I don’t wear after shave of any scent, but do use an unscented balm to cool and heal the skin after shaving. I wouldn’t mind if they made an unscented Lysol spray. The housekeeper changes our sheets once a week and then sprays the bed and pillows with a Lysol Linen scent. I don’t like scents of any type. My wife only wears two different perfumes that doesn’t affect my asthma. I only have a mild case, but certain scents bring out the worse in it.

Add my name to the list. Febreeze literally makes me sick. We had a neighbor that hung her laundry out and unless the wind was fairly brisk, even being upwind, both my wife and I could smell it from 50' away. Horrid stuff.

We have to close the windows when neighbors are drying clothes with fake scents. Or close them to anything with the fake, toxic scents.

Back