Watched Tom Hanks New Movie Over the Weekend

It is named "A Man Called Otto" and is new on Netflix. I enjoyed it. It is a character sketch. I like all Tom Hanks' movies. It is a simple but enjoyable.

A Man Called Otto
I watched it and enjoyed it quite a bit. It mimicked the events of the book "A Man Called Ove" pretty closely but was set in the USA rather than Norway/Sweden. Tom Hanks did an excellent job and I agree with you about liking all of his movies. He seems to choose them very carefully, and if he ever made a bad one, I sure don't know what it was.

I watched it and enjoyed it quite a bit. It mimicked the events of the book "A Man Called Ove" pretty closely but was set in the USA rather than Norway/Sweden. Tom Hanks did an excellent job and I agree with you about liking all of his movies. He seems to choose them very carefully, and if he ever made a bad one, I sure don't know what it was.
Totally agreed; we've been talking about this in the "What have you watched 2023" thread. :)

I am a big fan of Tom Hanks, have enjoyed most of his movies, Castaway being my favorite....but I thought the story of this movie was somewhat weak and predictable ....just not up to Hank's talent....jmo

Last edited:
I have not watched the movie, not yet anyway. But I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know there is another by that author, can't think of the name, anyone know and read that book?

I have not watched the movie, not yet anyway. But I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know there is another by that author, can't think of the name, anyone know and read that book?
Fredrik Backman wrote the original book the movie ‘A Man Called Otto’ is based on. He wrote a lot of good books.
Two I liked are
’Britt-Marie Was Here’
’My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She’s Sorry’

I watched OTTO last night. I enjoyed Hanks' performance. All of the actors were good.
A review i read called it formulaic which I suppose it was. But it was an interesting character study of growing old and finding a reason to go on.
I think we all face that after our spouse is gone. I could very much relate to OTTO.

One of the most difficult scenes was to watch young people more interested in taking video than actually helping the man who fell onto the train tracks.

Back