We all died over there.

@squatting dog I'm not sure if you've ever heard this song, but it was released in 1985 to describe what the soldiers of the Vietnam war went through. It describes many of the details. It may not be something you want to listen to and I hope you don't feel it minimizes the situation, but it does illustrate that there were many who were sympathetic to the plight of those who fought in Vietnam.

I really do wish you the best in all you are going through right now in your life, and thank you for your service.

@squatting dog I'm not sure if you've ever heard this song, but it was released in 1985 to describe what the soldiers of the Vietnam war went through. It describes many of the details. It may not be something you want to listen to and I hope you don't feel it minimizes the situation, but it does illustrate that there were many who were sympathetic to the plight of those who fought in Vietnam.

I really do wish you the best in all you are going through right now in your life, and thank you for your service.

This brought tears to my eye's.
And thank you for your kind words.

Don't let them tell you otherwise.
We all died and it was a slow, oh so slow and painful death.
Some of us just haven't pulled the dirt over our face. :(
I clicked on that link in the post and then I remembered having seen it before. It reminded me when we were only a few weeks from going home and I got shot in the left shoulder. I thought for sure that I was going to lose my arm. The docs In Okinawa saved my arm by fixing my shoulder, but made no guarantees. After a few weeks I started doing rehab. Then a few weeks later, feeling returned and I felt more confident that I was going to be alright. Anyway, when I was in the hospital, I was able to walk around and visit other injured Marines and soldiers. I saw one Special Ops soldier in the burn ward (I had to sneak in) that instantly broke my heart. He was burned from the middle of his torso to the top of his head and on most of his right leg. He was in severe pain and was receiving pure morphine. Suddenly, I came to the realization of how fortunate I was. We talked for about 10 minutes and even though I couldn't clearly understand all that he was saying, I still listened to him because I knew (somehow) that he had a story to tell, but I just couldn’t get the right words to come out. I still remember his name and hometown.

I clicked on that link in the post and then I remembered having seen it before. It reminded me when we were only a few weeks from going home and I got shot in the left shoulder. I thought for sure that I was going to lose my arm. The docs In Okinawa saved my arm by fixing my shoulder, but made no guarantees. After a few weeks I started doing rehab. Then a few weeks later, feeling returned and I felt more confident that I was going to be alright. Anyway, when I was in the hospital, I was able to walk around and visit other injured Marines and soldiers. I saw one Special Ops soldier in the burn ward (I had to sneak in) that instantly broke my heart. He was burned from the middle of his torso to the top of his head and on most of his right leg. He was in severe pain and was receiving pure morphine. Suddenly, I came to the realization of how fortunate I was. We talked for about 10 minutes and even though I couldn't clearly understand all that he was saying, I still listened to him because I knew (somehow) that he had a story to tell, but I just couldn’t get the right words to come out. I still remember his name and hometown.
Was on the USS Sanctuary Hospital Ship, 95th Evacuation Hospital (for treatment), China Beach Navy Hospital, Balboa Naval Hospital, might have forgot to add some, Received good treatment from the Doctors and Nurses

In late 1967 just before Tet , I was listed as missing , my mom told me that the Marine Core came to the house and notified her, then they came back two weeks later to tell her I had reported back to my base of operations, lot of bush out there. I set down and wrote a letter as soon as I could. The picture is mom and me.

Attachments

• scan0026.jpg
    scan0026.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0

Back