We decided on a house, and it's now in escrow.

I'd have to get the papers - I think it's 1360-something. But there are 2 figures, one includes the enclosure and the other doesn't because it's not defined as an add-on.
Here in VA, when they list the square feet of a home, they only include the areas (rooms) that are heated and/or cooled.

Last edited:
Any chance the enclosure is unpermitted? If so that could be a problem for you down the road.

Best of luck with it.
Meesh says she saw permits for a "patio enclosure", so I suppose it was originally a patio with a brick BBQ/grill and cabinets at one end. And I think they added the family room later - it also has a sliding glass door to the backyard but then you step out onto this really small patio...like maybe 4' x 7', just large enough for a couple chairs and a little table. So, yeah, I think the "party room" was the old patio. And my son said the corridor that leads out to it was probably a later addition, too, and the enclosed patio was separate from the house.

The corridor is kinda cool looking, but it's really odd. It's dark because its windows are covered with cabinets and shelves. so you have to turn on the 2 overhead lights. And it's hilly. I'm serious. The floor goes gently up and then down, and then you open a glass-pane door and take the one-step steps into the party room.

It seems like at least 3 different owners each tweaked that whole part of the house. Probably all of that was once the outside and the kitchen was the rear-most room in the house.

Now you can be the 4th owner and can do all the tweaking you want. Exciting. Soon you’ll be addicted to HGTV like many in America, including me.
Actually, I've worked in some phases of construction, and I've built a number of things with my sons - sheds, a bunkhouse, a garage and some decks - and I like watching videos on YouTube about carpentry and tools and stuff. For fun.

It seems like at least 3 different owners each tweaked that whole part of the house. Probably all of that was once the outside and the kitchen was the rear-most room in the house.
Not unusual to find things like that in an older house. Now it's your turn to change a few things and make it your own. Buying a new house is an adventure!

When you know if everything is approved and when do you take possession.
Escrow can take up to a couple/few months. The owner inherited it from his parents, and they owned it for a few decades, so hopefully, he can provide the escrow office with everything they need.

Honestly, I have no idea how escrow works and don't know what it even does, really, aside from making sure there aren't any liens or whatever. Meesh seems to know the basics pretty well, and she says we'll be in before Christmas.

Will you still be in an area that is close to Paxton? Are there good schools in the neighborhood? I just keep hoping that little boy will come home to you!

Will you still be in an area that is close to Paxton? Are there good schools in the neighborhood? I just keep hoping that little boy will come home to you!
The new house is only about 10 minutes from from our apartment, in a pretty nice neighborhood. Much nicer than the one we're in now.

See the following post ...about Paxton.

She is sure a piece of work! She is going to pay the price one day. I just think a litte boy should have to pay the price of her selfish stupidity! He needs people like you and Meesh that can love, nurture and guide the little man.

Back