We Only Accept Cash

Uptosnuff

Not to be confused with the "Cash Only Please" thread. :playful:

I am seeing more and more restaurants that only accept cash and I find this to be an interesting phenomenon. They are mostly local places, nothing fancy. I kind of like that independent thinking and understand the desire not to be burdened with a lot of credit card transaction fees.

I don't like that some places don't display a prominent notification right as you walk in the door. After you eat, you realize you can only pay cash, and, oh by the way there is an ATM conveniently located in the restaurant. So what they've done is shift the burden of charging credit card fees onto their customers when those customers then have to use the ATM and pay their fees. If they display a notice prominently at the door, people would have a choice to stay or not.

What do you think of cash only places?

No problem. I pay cash for for almost all transactions I do in person.

Not to be confused with the "Cash Only Please" thread. :playful:

I am seeing more and more restaurants that only accept cash and I find this to be an interesting phenomenon. They are mostly local places, nothing fancy. I kind of like that independent thinking and understand the desire not to be burdened with a lot of credit card transaction fees.

I don't like that some places don't display a prominent notification right as you walk in the door. After you eat, you realize you can only pay cash, and, oh by the way there is an ATM conveniently located in the restaurant. So what they've done is shift the burden of charging credit card fees onto their customers when those customers then have to use the ATM and pay their fees. If they display a notice prominently at the door, people would have a choice to stay or not.

What do you think of cash only places?

Given that scenario they would never see me a second time.

Like some mentioned, I pay for most things with cash. My suspicions are raised if I don't get a receipt. Locally, we had a small, friendly little eatery, did a thriving business for breakfast and lunch (I think they closed at 3 PM or so). The owner, an affable old gent always sat on a stool and managed the cash register. Always a big smile and if you did ask for a receipt he would write one out for you.

He was later arrested for tax evasion as evidently not all of those "receiptless" meals showed up in his daily take. I always had wondered why almost never (in my visits) did I ever see a waitress take the register?

I do mind it, sometimes I only have a ten and a few singles on me. I'd rather use a CC anyway and pay it off later. They're very sneaky and I agree his should be posted on a big sign, prominently!

I thought that if a transaction was over $10.00 they didn't have to pay a fee. Guess I was wrong.

I have never heard of any place that accepts
cash only.

Over here the talk is, "how long before cash
becomes obsolete"?

It is easier and quicker to pay by card or even
by phone, none of our transport system here
in London takes cash.

Mike.

They would not get my business as they are probably not reporting their income. I would report them to the IRS for an audit. If I have to report all my income then they should too.

I have never heard of any place that accepts
cash only.

Over here the talk is, "how long before cash
becomes obsolete"?

It is easier and quicker to pay by card or even
by phone, none of our transport system here
in London takes cash.

Mike.
There's quite a lot near where I live who take cash only.. specifically Non British cafes' and restaurants... they have a sign usually on the door or by the till

In the OP scenario.. if I had no knowledge before entering the premises that cash was the only payment method accepted, and I had no other choice but to use a Cash machine and be charged for the withdrawal, then I wouldn't ever visit again...

I don't think I ever came across a cash only restaurant, if it's a cheap fast food place and I know it was cash only, I could make sure I had a $20 in my wallet when going there. But in a regular sit down restaurant, I'd rather use my credit card, so I probably wouldn't bother going there. I agree, if it is cash only, there should be an obvious sign saying so, and maybe a reminder before you order your meal.

There's quite a lot near where I live who take cash only.. specifically Non British cafes' and restaurants... they have a sing usually on the door or by the till

In the OP scenario.. if I had no knowledge before entering the premises that cash was the only payment method accepted, and I had no other choice but to use a Cash machine and be charged for the withdrawal, then I wouldn't ever visit again...

I agree, I think that I would make a little fuss over the ATM fee and try to get it comped/deducted from the bill.

I'm pleased that there are establishments who insist on cash. We are told that cash will soon be a thing of the past and cards will be used for everything. We must not allow this to happen. The banks tried to stop us using cheques....we, the public made them change their minds about that. Now we must make it clear that we will not be forced into using cards for everything.

I'm pleased that there are establishments who insist on cash. We are told that cash will soon be a thing of the past and cards will be used for everything. We must not allow this to happen. The banks tried to stop us using cheques....we, the public made them change their minds about that. Now we must make it clear that we will not be forced into using cards for everything.

Why do you feel so strongly about cash and cheques? Please explain. I, for the life of me, can't understand why anyone wants to carry cash and/or write cheques, these days.

I don't use cheques any more but I respect the fact that others wish to. As for cash versus cards....it's too easy to lose track of how much money you have spent when you use a card. I live on the edge of town, where there are a lot of small shops. These shop-keepers prefer to deal with cash, even though it makes them more vulnerable to thieves. It might seem a strange thing to say, but I actually LIKE money. I enjoy counting through my loose change and sorting my coins into different purses.(wallets).

Our bank covers our ATM transaction fees regardless of which bank's ATM we use. We haven't paid a transaction fee in many years.

I got tired of having our credit card accounts compromised and having to get new cards issued. Now our cards never leave our hands. We have a separate, restricted credit card that we use for on-line purchases (and which has never been compromised). All in all, I find cash to be much less of a hassle for most purchases.

My old man always carried at least $100 bucks in his wallet. This was back in the 1950's when that was equivalent to about a grand in today's money. That might have been all the money he had in the world, and a lot of the time it was, but no matter how much of a ne'er do well loser he was, he always put on an act like he was some kind of big shot.

So I suppose some of that rubbed off on me because I always keep a fair amount of cash in my wallet too. Not usually $1000 bucks. That's kind of a pain because the ATM's I use only give out 20's and $1000 bucks in 20's is such a big wad that I can't close my wallet. I could go to the credit union and exchange those 20's for 50's and 100's but that's a lot of trouble. I only do that if I'm going on a long trip. Most of the time I keep between $300 and $400 in my wallet. At the moment I'm running a little light. I just got back from grocery shopping and that dropped me down to $260.

Back