Weight Loss Accountability/Support Group Thread

I have been reading about the Cordyceps mushrooms because of the gout attack I had a while back, and this is supposed to help get rid of uric acid in the body, as well as help with kidney failure, which I also have along with the heart failure. So, I ordered some to try in my morning coffee, and also some coffee that has several other mushrooms in it, and had good reports on Amazon.
They should be here by this weekend, and I am looking forward to trying it and hoping that it helps. cordyceps is supposed to help a LOT of different ailments, according to the information about it, and here is a video that tells what all it is used for.

IMG_5379.jpeg

Today was a good day, back in the gym and not too tired for it. About 3 hours. I ate well and feel good tonight. Had a peach and plum from our trees, but it really is too early to get good ones, next week the peaches should start for real. Also had tomatoes from the garden for dinner.

Weighed 195 this morning.

Weekend is coming soon, might have a little more of that apricot brandy...

Doing well is all that matters, we don't all need to record our food. I do, but I know others don't. Great videos, thanks!

Got my both knees replaced last October, its been good but I would not call my recover "quick". Glad yours was.

I think a knee cap can be worse than knee replacement, recovery anyway. Your patella is where one of your quads and a lower muscle connect, when I had knee surgery the surgeon went to great lengths to save the part of the patella where they attached. Just ground down the bad parts and replaced them with plastic. He said that had he fully replaced it recovery would have been much worse. Good luck with it!

We are sounding like the knee recovery thread here, LOL.
View attachment 298696
Rob, I keep seeing that a serving of your raspberry sorbet has 33 grams of fiber. Is that correct? If so I need to get some of that!

Thank you for your recommendation of Namaste Yoga @PeppermintPatty. I feel this will be useful for me; will more fully check it out later, like what I see so far! A yoga practice was always beneficial for me but I let that drop during covid.
My pleasure. I think you’ll love it. This particular yoga has a real meditative quality to it which truly helps reduce stress and anxiety

My mushroom coffee arrived and I have started having a cup of that in the mornings, and some mushroom extract in my chicory coffee-substitute in the afternoons.
I am not feeling any different, but hoping that it is helping my kidneys . The weight is still slowly coming down, so that must mean that things are going in the right direction.

I have been reading about a yogurt made with Lactobacillus Reuteri bacteria, which is supposed to have a lot of good benefits, one of them being for weight loss; so I am going to try adding some of that to my food program.
It is made like you would make yogurt, but cultures for a longer period of time. (This is a screenshot from Dr. Davis‘ new book, Super Gut.)

IMG_5388.jpeg

I am not feeling any different, but hoping that it is helping my kidneys . The weight is still slowly coming down, so that must mean that things are going in the right direction.
Weight coming down no matter how fast or slowly is absolutely always a good thing... you're doing great! 👏🎉💃 And about the mushrooms... a lot of supplements take a while to actually start showing a difference, so hoping that's what's happening with your situation. When will you be able to find out if it has improved your kidneys?

My update for this week. I am still losing weight, and my body actually feels like it is moving easier now, which is AWESOME ! I am always adding the mushroom powder to my morning coffee. I am not sure if it is giving me any more energy or not, some days yes, some not so much, like usual.
Next week , I will be doing more lab work, so I will maybe be able to tell whether my kidney function is improving or not, but it might be still too soon to see much difference.

I got all the stuff to make the L.Reuteri yogurt and just finished making my first batch this morning. It tastes different than regular yogurt, but not a bad taste, maybe because of the added inulin prebiotics ?
Anyway, I added some to my morning kefir, and then it all just tasted like kefir. One of the benefits is that it is supposed to help stop a person from feeling hungry. I had the kefir drink this morning around 8, and I am still feeling full and satisfied.

IMG_5413.jpeg

My update for this week. I am still losing weight, and my body actually feels like it is moving easier now, which is AWESOME !
Awesome indeed! You are doing GREAT! (y) I'm sorry I didn't respond yesterday... I didn't see your post. I usually get notifications when there's a post in this thread, but I didn't this time. I seriously need to check into that mushroom stuff... and I hope you'll get "flying colors results" with your lab work next week!

My update for this week. I am still losing weight, and my body actually feels like it is moving easier now, which is AWESOME ! I am always adding the mushroom powder to my morning coffee. I am not sure if it is giving me any more energy or not, some days yes, some not so much, like usual.
Next week , I will be doing more lab work, so I will maybe be able to tell whether my kidney function is improving or not, but it might be still too soon to see much difference.

I got all the stuff to make the L.Reuteri yogurt and just finished making my first batch this morning. It tastes different than regular yogurt, but not a bad taste, maybe because of the added inulin prebiotics ?
Anyway, I added some to my morning kefir, and then it all just tasted like kefir. One of the benefits is that it is supposed to help stop a person from feeling hungry. I had the kefir drink this morning around 8, and I am still feeling full and satisfied.

View attachment 301074
I have been thinking of trying L.Reueri. I might have to give it a try.
Glad you're feeling good!

I really miss AlligatorRob. I’m actually worried and concerned for him. I’ve tried PM’ing him a few times and haven’t gotten a reply. If anybody has heard from him and you know he’s ok, can you please let me know. It seems so odd for him to just stop posting.
I’m wondering if there was an accident or a close family death or something.

Hey Rob. If you read this, please know that you are missed here. I don’t know what happened to you but sincerely hope you are ok. 🥺

I’m still doing yoga 🧘‍♀️ daily.
That’s about it. 🙁
Not going outside at all any more. 🫥

I really miss AlligatorRob. I’m actually worried and concerned for him.
I miss him, too. Sometimes people need a break from stuff and I've thought about doing that myself, but I keep chickening out. In the meantime I got a new short-term work gig and it's suffering because of that chickeness, so I'll have to eventually straighten up and find a way to have a better work/life balance.

Good to hear about the yoga! Is the not going outside due to wildfire smoke?

View attachment 301074
Hey Happyflowerlady,
Could you elaborate a bit about this yogurt and prebiotics stuff? I’m very interested.
That’s great that you are still loosing weight.
I should start taking my mushroom powder again. It seemed to really help me cognitively.
I hope it works well for you also.
How is your swimming?
I’m so jealous. I love swimming. ♥️

I miss him, too. Sometimes people need a break from stuff and I've thought about doing that myself, but I keep chickening out. In the meantime I got a new short-term work gig and it's suffering because of that chickeness, so I'll have to eventually straighten up and find a way to have a better work/life balance.

Good to hear about the yoga! Is the not going outside due to wildfire smoke?
What do you mean by work gig?
As in employment?

I’m not affected by any smoke here whatsoever. Air is great. I’m not going out due to fear.

Work gig in my case is writing assignment for a periodical. Yes, employment. I'm not retired, and since I'm a freelancer, I can take work when I want to. Sorry about the fear. :cry:
Well that’s really cool employment.
I didn’t realize you weren’t retired.
Somehow I seem to think everyone who posts here is retired but that’s clearly not the case.
What types of things to you write about?
Do you have a certain genre? Would that even be the right word for this?

What types of things to you write about?
Anything a publisher needs. This time it's "Romantic Valentine's Day Getaways"... yep, we really do have to work that far ahead. Actually this is pretty short... it's usually more like 7-8 months. I've written about prostate cancer, Christmas traditions, and interviewed a Catholic priest all in the same week in the past. :giggle:

Anything a publisher needs. This time it's "Romantic Valentine's Day Getaways"... yep, we really do have to work that far ahead. Actually this is pretty short... it's usually more like 7-8 months. I've written about prostate cancer, Christmas traditions, and interviewed a Catholic priest all in the same week in the past. :giggle:
That sounds like very interesting work.
I’m actually considering doing some carving for our Etsy store again, just to help keep my mind more focussed on something positive.
Unfortunately I’m having a difficult time focussing on anything for any length of time. Lately, I can’t even focus enough to read a good book and I really need to work at it cause it’s depressing otherwise.

Anyway, have fun with writing your article.
A freelance writer is a cool job.

Since Monday morning, I have been having a half cup of the l.Reuteri yogurt mixed with enough homemade kefir to make a pint and drinking that as part of my OMAD meal. It actually satisfies me to much that a couple of days I just had the kefir/yogurt drink and a sliced cucumber to munch on. When mixed with the kefir, it all tastes like kefir (kind of like a drinkable sour cream when made with half &half ), @PeppermintPatty .
I haven’t been drinking it long enough to see any other good health benefits yet, but I am sure they are slowly happening, and having it satisfy me so much is wonderful.

If you look up Dr. William Davis and “Supergut” book , or just L. Reuteri yogurt, on the internet, you can find a lot of good information about what the benefits are, and videos on how to make it . The difference between this and most yogurts is that it is cultured at a lower temperature for 36 hours, as opposed to 8-10, so the beneficial probiotics are into the trillions once it has finished culturing.
It can also be cultured with coconut milk if a person does not drink dairy, but you have to get the starter cultures for l.Reuteri to make the first batch.

Since I started this, I have been steadily losing a little weight every few days, while feeling completely satisfied food-wise , and eating much less, so almost like doing a longer fast except for the kefir/yogurt each day. I am now giving Marco Poodle a little bit each day, too, so it should help him as well.
My clothes are feeling looser !

Now that I am back to the Starch Solution WOE, I thought it would help me to post in this support thread again. This winter seemed so long and I was so cold all of the time, I just kind of went into semi-hibernation and did not exercise or do much of anything to improve my health.
Spring is here, warmer days are starting to happen, I want to be outside and work in the yard, go swimming at the fitness center, and back to healthy foods again.

I will be doing the Potato Hack, which is 3-5 days per week of plain regular potatoes (not sweet potatoes) and 2-4 days on a healthy WFPB diet.
My plan is to do 3 days of PH, 2 days SS, on and off rotation, which comes out to the 5 days of potatoes each week, and do this until my body is losing weight, at least 15 lbs, and my clothes fit again, and then re-evaluate. Surprisingly, I did my first 3 days of PH, and now my 2 days of SS, and actually looking forward to PH again tomorrow.

Back