Welcome to my Garden

Very Beautiful Garden pictures, Our Hosta's are the size they normally are come near the end of August. Lilac's we have lots of them on our property... We live in the Capital of Lilacs...
Thank Mike. Now I’m wondering what the capital of lilacs is. 🤔lol

You are quite welcome Keesha. Have a lot of things blooming on the property. Hoping for a big banana fruiting one one tree in Sept. The trees normally bear every other year here in this gardening zone. We're sub tropical.

By the way, gorgeous red flower hanging basket you have there...what are the flowers called?
Blooming things make you want to smile, huh!

All these garden pics are just spectacular!

6ebd37c37b54782e1546beb1873da821.jpg

You are quite welcome Keesha. Have a lot of things blooming on the property. Hoping for a big banana fruiting one one tree in Sept. The trees normally bear every other year here in this gardening zone. We're sub tropical.

By the way, gorgeous red flower hanging basket you have there...what are the flowers called?
Blooming things make you want to smile, huh!
That’s interesting to be in subtropical location. I’d love to be able to grow fruit trees. We used to have some apple trees but unless I picked off all the apples, they’d make sure a mess, cause sour apples which attracted 🐝 hornets, wasps and bees. Mowing the lawn there became a nuisance.

What zone are you in?

We are in a zone 4-5.

That basket is from my parents neighbours house.
While taking my mom for a walk in her wheelchair, we stopped to admire her garden so she came out and gave us a tour of it. Her gardening skills are far better than mine and I have no idea what flowers they are but the colour is spectacular. I have never been so impressed with someone’s garden before.
She had a wild dogwood rose bush that smelled heavenly. No cultivated rose could beat that scent.
We have a white wild dogwood Rose we dug up and now have growing in our backyard and it smells beautiful but not quite like hers.

Here it is. It’s about 12 feet high and 20 feet wide.
It’s huge.

2A1B03C9-9714-40BF-9C9C-3DD8D62941B2.jpeg6235E771-6AE7-4FAE-8C1F-1F653238F492.jpegF2DB21C8-AC3D-4A80-BBD4-8B29A3C63115.jpeg9A3E46CE-8D1B-4B9C-A91A-085B2BE861DC.jpeg

Oh Keesha, that rose is a beautiful big plant. Love those oversized specimens. How gorgeous!

We are in Zone 9-A.

Bananas are what captivate us. When you see that banana tree flag leaf and big red flower appear, your happiness bone does flip flops...lol. It takes them 3 - 4 months to completely ripen. The last fruiting we had
yielded about 100 big bananas from a single tree , and they tasted so much better than store bought ones. They tasted like "ice cream".

Hoping for another fruiting this year from one of the 2 "mature" Grand Nain variety trees we have. These were the original Chiquita bananas that sadly no longer get shipped out due to a bad banana blight that wiped out most of the production specimens.

Here's the bananas we had in the two stages of ripening:

This is a crazy year RadishRose...look at this great big (probably 50 ft. tall) Magnolia on our property...its has been flamboyantly blooming for 3 months now:

View attachment 71525

View attachment 71526
@Liberty that magnolia is stunning! 3 month bloom, wow. We can't grow these up here, but we have a different variety that is pink, blooms very early, even before the leaves grow.

pink-magnolia-2098244__340.jpg

I have a silk wreath of your white Southern Magnolia flowers and leaves on the wall over my bed.

Last edited:
Oh Keesha, that rose is a beautiful big plant. Love those oversized specimens. How gorgeous!

We are in Zone 9-A.

Bananas are what captivate us. When you see that banana tree flag leaf and big red flower appear, your happiness bone does flip flops...lol. It takes them 3 - 4 months to completely ripen. The last fruiting we had
yielded about 100 big bananas from a single tree , and they tasted so much better than store bought ones. They tasted like "ice cream".

Hoping for another fruiting this year from one of the 2 "mature" Grand Nain variety trees we have. These were the original Chiquita bananas that sadly no longer get shipped out due to a bad banana blight that wiped out most of the production specimens.

Here's the bananas we had in the two stages of ripening:

View attachment 71539

View attachment 71540
That’s what zone I figured you were in.
Those bananas are amazing. You are so lucky. That must be so much fun. What do you do with all those bananas? Surely you can’t eat them all before they go bad. Do you make banana bread ?
Muffins?

Do you grow any other fruits?
What about vegetables?

Thanks for the great photos.
That was a real treat.

@Liberty that magnolia is stunning! 3 month bloom, wow. We can't grow these up here, but we have a different variety that is pink, blooms very early, even before the leaves grow.

pink-magnolia-2098244__340.jpg

I have a silk wreath of your white Southern Magnolia flowers and leaves on the wall over my bed.

That’s a stunning tree RaddishRose. I really like those but don’t grow any. They look and smell so nice. Apparently this year many gardeners have commented about how great their gardens have been. I wonder if it’s due to all the extra rain we had.

RadishRose...that beautiful tree bloom looks like what we call a "Tulip Tree". It blooms very early like you said - down here in February usually, and has large cup shaped blooms.

You have me wondering if perhaps its the same tree?! Probably couldn't be as the zones are so far apart but might be a northern cousin, you know. Its a beautiful pink. Fragrant, too?

RadishRose...that beautiful tree bloom looks like what we call a "Tulip Tree". It blooms very early like you said - down here in February usually, and has large cup shaped blooms.

You have me wondering if perhaps its the same tree?! Probably couldn't be as the zones are so far apart but might be a northern cousin, you know. Its a beautiful pink. Fragrant, too?
@Liberty, it is a magnolia but a different variety,. grows from zones 4-9, so yes, you guys can grow anything. I don't recall ever smelling one.

Now that you mention it, I have also heard them called tulip trees a few times. Below is a link. They do grow bigger than that's pictured tho'....

https://www.gardenia.net/guide/Pretty-Magnolias-for-Small-Gardens 🌸

RadishRose...do you mean "can't tell the difference" in the flavor of the bananas? Absolutely you can. The bananas you get today are so "bland" compared to the original Chiquita ones. As far as the trantulas, haven't seen any "Teddy Bear" spiders so far.

Know in Florida, when I was a kid, we brought a big stalk home in the back seat of the car with me and I yelled my head off for "daddy to stop". When he pulled off the road and wanted to know what was wrong I said "there is a big spider back here in the bananas". He mumbled something about "Evelyn, take care of your daughter", but told me to get out and then he climbed in the back seat; in a minute he yelled back at mom "Evelyn, find me a skillet, for crying out loud, there's a spider back here the size of a Buick."

Remember that spider was red and white, though...lol.

RadishRose...do you mean "can't tell the difference" in the flavor of the bananas? Absolutely you can. The bananas you get today are so "bland" compared to the original Chiquita ones. As far as the trantulas, haven't seen any "Teddy Bear" spiders so far.

Know in Florida, when I was a kid, we brought a big stalk home in the back seat of the car with me and I yelled my head off for "daddy to stop". When he pulled off the road and wanted to know what was wrong I said "there is a big spider back here in the bananas". He mumbled something about "Evelyn, take care of your daughter", but told me to get out and then he climbed in the back seat; in a minute he yelled back at mom "Evelyn, find me a skillet, for crying out loud, there's a spider back here the size of a Buick."

Remember that spider was red and white, though...lol.

OMG!🤯
I couldn't handle it.
I like bananas ok, but it's on and off. Never ate them regularly, so I don't remember the old taste. Thanks, Liberty!

Back