What age did you retire ..did you retire early ..

I retired at age 62, as soon as I could collect social security. I did not need the money and i was deathly sick of my job. I'd recently married too. However now it has been 11 years and I have done everything I wanted to do. I am bored and depressed because I cannot do the hobbies I once loved - too many injuries caught up to me.

I retired later. I just retired this past December & turned 70 a month later. My husband has been retired for 8 years. His knees & back bother him & he uses a cane, but won't go to the doctor for it. We have been staying pretty much at home since I have retired even though this winter has been mild for us. I was afraid that financially I would not be in good shape if I stopped working, but so far it has been fine.

My hubby retired in 2001 at 61 and I "retired" at the same time and I was 55. However, I "retired" because we hit the road in our truck and trailer and bummed around for the next 4 years until we bought a house in south TX and I went back to work for another 4 years. We moved back to PA and I officially retired in 2008/2009. I was 63ish.

No, I worked until after my husband died. He died suddenly and in my arms.
I was in shock and could not smile or converse with people.
Didn't know when I would burst into tears. (and I did)
This didn't work as I had to interact with the public.
Didn't retire. Just left a note that I wasn't returning and left!
I didn't know if I had enough money to survive or anything. Didn't care.
Not a monetary decision. I always do what I am most afraid to do. and take risks.
You have amazing courage. Gaer

Yesterday I spent four hours creating artwork for my grandchildren's elementary school's junior Olympics tee shirt. As it evolved I devised a few options and sent screenshots to my daughter along the way. She asked our grands' opinions before selecting what to forward to the committee chair for approval.

Despite having not a single artistic bone in this body, the miracle of computer graphics programs allows me the joy of creating art! Not only art, but useful art! Me???? Whoda thunk it?

More importantly, our involvement with their school - and the perks of being involved with the decision-making process - add more ties binding us to our beloved grandchildren. When they're grown and we're long gone, they'll remember moments like these.

Those are some of the reasons why I'm still working at 70. ❤️

I retired at 61. I knew I couldn't handle my job another year and I was too old to start over. I could afford to retire early so I did. It was a wise decision. Money might be an important factor in your retirement decision but it isn't everything. I wouldn't put it first on my list.

Worked in the business my father started after my sawmill job went away. Watched him work until he physically could not. Was at his desk well into his 80's. A workaholic his entire life. I was never a workaholic, even though I learned a good work ethic from my father. Did not save a single dime for retirement until my early 50's. Reality hit me hard with retirement approaching fast. Got out of debt and starting saving. Started taking my Social Security about 4 years before I retired. The only way I had of socking some money away. I was tired of working for my father's partner who I could not tolerate. Finally retired when I was 71. My knees were giving out and the job was physically demanding. Don't have enough to travel or buy fancy things, but I can survive without working and that was my goal. The cost of living and the stock market challenge my sanity, but mostly I am happy and keep busy with a few hobbies. Life is good and my daughter and my grandson live a short drive away. So compared to my father, I did retire early.

I retired fully 6 years ago at 62. 2 years prior to making the commitment to fully retire I approached management to back off to 3 days a week which they supported. It has all worked well for me.
At some point you’ve just got to say that’s it.

Back