What are more healthcare facilities demanding payment up front

Deb: my eye Dr. always did want the copay up front but I have no copays for lab work. I'd like to know why you object to the before payment. It is going to be paid one way or the other before you exit that door anyway.

I have two insurance plans. It seems everything would be covered.

Not all drs' offices will bill your secondary insurance for you, so you might have to submit a claim and wait for reimbursement. Also, here, there are some drs who have quit accepting certain secondary insurances because of payment issues so it is up to the patient to make a claim and get reimbursed.

One thing you may not be considering is that medical services are a business. With all the covid protocols in place their customer pool is restricted, reducing the cash flow and overall revenue. There are fixed operating costs to keeping the doors open even if half the staff has been furloughed due to reduced work load.

It's not all covid either. Sometimes, as happened in my state, after the previous governor cut medicaid payments and eliminated other state subsidized medical facilities, the small town hospital where my doctor is had to start getting up front co pays.

Add insurers into the mix, that fight reimbursement, down right refuse reimbursement, government mandates, and don't forget many laws governing these things in states were actually authored by insurance companies.

It's not a simple answer.

The whole system in the US is basically a mess. It was nearly 40 years ago when I worked in a hospital and I'm afraid it hasn't gotten any better.

So we are still on my husband's benefits plan, not Medicare, but for us it's customary to pay the co-pay on the day of the appointment.

However, in-network providers often ask us to pay the rest of the bill up front and we always decline, because nine times out of ten once we get the insurance bill we see the provider has attempted to charge well above the contracted rate or even double bill. So we insist that we'll wait to get the invoice. That way the insurance company has had the chance to review it first and adjust fees to the correct amount.

If the provider is 100% out of network we often have to pay up front, though. That's why we try to stay in network as much as possible.

most doctors who want money up front because of deductibles are in breech of their insurance agreements .

i once had a doctor i went to for the first time demand i pay up front since my insurer would not disclose how much of a deductible i had left ...

the insurer told them they wont tell them since i could have a claim already in house that meets my deductible .

so they forced me to pay 240 bucks up front ...

when i called my insurer they said he could be dropped for doing that ...their agreement is the insureds are not to be charged against any deductible until after the claim is processed

The oral surgeon that is doing my implant doesn't accept any insurance, not that it matters to me since I don't have DI, but he did ask for $4800 before he even started.
Deb,

I have to say that did amaze me when I saw your post about handing over almost five thousand dollars to a dentist that you've only met once.

I'm not sure I understand how you could do that when you are usually so careful about getting several estimates and opinions before starting various home repair projects.

Good luck with your new tooth!

Last edited:
The oral surgeon that is doing my implant doesn't accept any insurance, not that it matters to me since I don't have DI, but he did ask for $4800 before he even started.

If you decide to go with another implant, check out Aspen Dental before you spend $4800., Their prices are less than half that, and they probably have an office within reasonable distance of your place. One of my son-in-laws mother has had several in the past couple of years, and she is quite pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Another thing I've noticed on my last 3 doctor visits - they are not giving appointments at the patient's convenience. When I have to make a follow up - they say when to come in next. I countered with another time, but the clerk just reiterates the first date. What going on with that?

Another thing I've noticed on my last 3 doctor visits - they are not giving appointments at the patient's convenience. When I have to make a follow up - they say when to come in next. I countered with another time, but the clerk just reiterates the first date. What going on with that?

That seems to be the norm...with this ongoing Corona Virus. Doctors, and dentists are seeing fewer patients, and limiting the numbers that might be in a waiting room, etc. Many of them have lost some of their staff....who have quit because of this virus, and the potential for exposure. Just add this to the increasing list of "inconveniences" we have to face while this illness is running rampant.

It reduces the cost of sending a bill, processing the payment, etc...

On the flipside, my PCP didn't bother collecting the $10.00 copay on my last visit. Probably too much hassle keeping cash on hand and sending someone to the bank every day.

I wish that they would raise the insurance premiums by enough to do away with copays and other annoying little charges.

I kept paying my copay. Now I find out Ive got money in my doctors account. Ugh i met my deductible but kept paying and did not realize it.

I understand the concern with paying money upfront for services, I guess it did not bother me too much until a recent event. My father in law was placed in long term care (hospice) at a care facility in his area. Covid played a devastating role for the family, because we were not allowed in until the final hours. But the issue for me was this. We were paying $6800.00 every three months for his care in advance. So another payment was due June 01, for june, july and august. We payed on May 21 for the upcoming three months. He passed on June 22. By the end of June we had asked for a refund for time not spent in the facility due to this passing. By the first of july I knew there was a problem and repeated calls and letters got no response. I had to get a couple of state and then federal agencies involved and still did not get a refund until October 01. Without interest of course, but we finally did get a refund. That is a sad reflection of the service and attitudes we expected. Sorry I had to vent!

Last edited:

Back