What Are Some of Your Hobbies? I Love Crocheting

Malika

I am living in a new state where I have no friends or social live.
To keep busy I have decided to crochet me some curtains, rugs and bathroom floor mats. This will take up some time and keep me joyful. I feel good when I create.

Over the years, I have tried a little bit of everything, But a few I always seem to come back to.
Music: Played the violin in grammar school taught myself piano in High school and guitar in my 30's. I recently have signed up for banjo and violin lessons.
Art: I was an art major in high school, but decided I wasn't good enough to earn a living at it and went into nursing. I picked it up again in my late 20's and early 30 - before I again went back to nursing school. 2 years ago I started taking drawing and painting classes and am still doing so.
Martial arts: in my 60's after my cancer surgery, I took up TaeKwondo and made it as far as 2nd degree Black belt. The school went bankrupt when the economy hit bottom so was out until my early 70's. Finally found a school I liked and got my 3rd degree BB. Had to drop out last year after a stubborn problem with my left hip. I had been taking Tai Chi and was able to continue that.
Needle craft and sewing: Made all the kids clothing when they were in grammar school. Did a lot of knitting, afghans, tatting and some crocheting. Started with that in my teens.
In addition, I tried a little bit of everything DIY - gardening, woodworking, etc. I liked the challenge of doing it LOL

I'm doing cross-stitch at the moment, while the light is good. I'm doing one of Tutankhamen, which is very intricate. I'm learning patchwork and quilting, as a result of the craft channels on tv.
Whatever hobbies you choose, there is always an initial expenditure on equipment. It can get quite expensive, especially with sewing. All those lovely fabrics to stock up with!

fingerstyle guitar
Mysticism
Christianity
watching sports
watching youtube docos
rumination on past events I see myself as being the victim
telling others about my back pain
worrying about lack of money in the future
regretting wasting money in the past

Last edited:
I'm an avid photo taker.. can't say photographer, not nearly good enough for that, but what's great about taking photos is that it gives you a purpose to go out of your way to visit places you might otherwise never have thought of going... 📸...and then I upload them to my computer and show them here, or make Youtube videos...

I have other hobbies but that's my main one!!

I'm just learning to use a sewing machine which was an impulse buy a couple of years ago and also embroidery . I like to cook,garden, and drive my hubby crazy by constantly thinking of projects I'd like done around the house. Woodworking and re purposing items that other people would definitely throw in the garbage makes me happy.

@nan I like the owl. Being newly widowed, I am looking for a new hobby to pass the time. Am considering going back to cross-stitching as I loved it in the past, and made many gifts for others. I read a lot as well.

Another one of my crafts,I have given several of my owls and other macrame, andthe wall hanging discs to family, and charities.
Thank you Marie I have done crochet to but not for a good while.

I am currently sitting in the craft room, with about 20 totes of craft items beside me lol. I have quilted, done ceramics, crocheted (won best of show ribbons for some of my items), knitted, tried adult coloring and saved stuff to do with the grandkids.

I've found that my hands are finally giving out on me. Has anyone had that problem? I'm to see a doctor on monday about it. I don't want a carpal tunnel surgery. (I had that done on my left hand when I was working) but it has become a huge problem. And I miss my needlework. *sniff*

I am living in a new state where I have no friends or social live.
To keep busy I have decided to crochet me some curtains, rugs and bathroom floor mats. This will take up some time and keep me joyful. I feel good when I create.
A good friend of my mom's used to come to stay for a week and crochet throws and those great boots with the ties at the top. They were so warm in winter. We don't have a lot of winter, but would dig them out to wear around the house when the weather got cold!

I am currently sitting in the craft room, with about 20 totes of craft items beside me lol. I have quilted, done ceramics, crocheted (won best of show ribbons for some of my items), knitted, tried adult coloring and saved stuff to do with the grandkids.

I've found that my hands are finally giving out on me. Has anyone had that problem? I'm to see a doctor on monday about it. I don't want a carpal tunnel surgery. (I had that done on my left hand when I was working) but it has become a huge problem. And I miss my needlework. *sniff*
Try organic peanut oil rubs.

When I visit my son, I get crazy in the kitchen with cooking. It is the one area where I am truly creative. No talents otherwise. I used to crochet, but I have degenerative rheumatoid arthritis and my fingers are affected with neuropathy, so I am clumsy when it comes to the finer things in life.

I used to love my gardening; created and maintained a beautiful perennial garden; collected and propagated all kinds of house plants. I used to love drawing with pencils and charcoal.

Back