What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my Cornish hen this morning as planned…..was lucky…..yesterday there were 11 of them, I needed to think a bit before decided on one, went to get it today, there was only 1 left !!!!!!……had my name all over it……lucky me, almost lucked out.
Also treated myself to prawns and large scallops.
So…..New Years Eve and New Year’s Day suppers are planned. 😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋😋.
@MickaC When I read you had gone to pick out a Cornish hen today, I thought you were buying an egg laying pet until I read the "... suppers are planned" bit :oops::)

In the meantime, I've made a Big pan of Minced beef with Broccoli, Carrots, & Sausages, in a red wine and beef gravy.
It's cooking now.. and I'll have some for dinner this evening, and portion the rest for the freezer.. topped with mashed potatoes.
Holly, I'm so sorry about the ex's health, you still obviously have concerns even though you are no longer an "item." But it must be painful for you.
Love the minced beef recipe, it sounds very much like cottage pie, although had you used lamb or mutton, instead of minced beef, then it would have been called shepherd's pie. When you top it with the mashed potatoes do you brush the surface with melted butter? It browns the potatoes to a superb finish!

Holly, I'm so sorry about the ex's health, you still obviously have concerns even though you are no longer an "item." But it must be painful for you.
Love the minced beef recipe, it sounds very much like cottage pie, although had you used lamb or mutton, instead of minced beef, then it would have been called shepherd's pie. When you top it with the mashed potatoes do you brush the surface with melted butter? It browns the potatoes to a superb finish!
It was cottage pie... I make it a few times a year not too often, because beef doesn't really agree with my stomach.

My ex husband is my ex from 40 years ago.. he's my daughters' father. We married young.. he was in the Navy.. Much as there's no romantic feeling for him on my part.. I cannot see him ill, with no-one around to care what happens to him. He has a girlfriend of many years from what he tells me , but they don't live together, and as far as I'm aware there's not much of a relationship, altho' they're technically still a couple..

I just feel as my daughters' father, I will help him where possible.. no-one else seems to want to...

Last edited:
@Pappy, Cracker Barrel is my favorite place to go out for breakfast. Yum! Unfortunately for me, I'm the only early bird in the house so I haven't been there in dog's years.

This afternoon DD and DGD made me go with them to get something to eat and to shop at Target and Kohl's. I'm tired. Three and a half hours shopping is about three hours too long.

Somebody tell me why I volunteered to work New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. The schedule has me from 6-10 tomorrow morning, but the schedule was made before Newbie quit. However...if our manager says I can leave at 10, I'll leave at 10! (Like that's going to happen.)

@hollydolly Have I missed a post about your ex? Have you heard more about how he's doing? Does your DD live close enough to where he is to see him?

@Pappy, Cracker Barrel is my favorite place to go out for breakfast. Yum! Unfortunately for me, I'm the only early bird in the house so I haven't been there in dog's years.

This afternoon DD and DGD made me go with them to get something to eat and to shop at Target and Kohl's. I'm tired. Three and a half hours shopping is about three hours too long.

Somebody tell me why I volunteered to work New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. The schedule has me from 6-10 tomorrow morning, but the schedule was made before Newbie quit. However...if our manager says I can leave at 10, I'll leave at 10! (Like that's going to happen.)

@hollydolly Have I missed a post about your ex? Have you heard more about how he's doing? Does your DD live close enough to where he is to see him?
The post about him is on the previous page Gee-gee.. he's in hospital , still in a corridor in A&E as far as I know... . No DD doesn't live close to where he is.. I might go and visit him tomorrow at the hospital. I'll ring and find out in the morning if he's still there .. terrible to spend his birthday in there and now probably New Years Eve

Went to "Linner" (after normal lunch hours but before dinner) with my honorary daughter (HD) and youngest grandson. When we were planning this she asked me where I wanted to go and I told her she's driving, she could choose the restaurant. After all these decades, my decision making processes are worn out. :LOL: Today she said the choices were Applebees, Friendly's and IHOP. I'm always down for IHOP but we decided to let my grandson choose. At first he said IHOP, then changed it to Applebees. On route we somehow got onto the subject of diners when my HD said she loves diners (my husband and I did too...I dubbed us the Diner King & Queen). So I brought up a nice one I'd been to this year. So we headed there; good thing it was along the same route we would have used to get to Applebees.

We each enjoyed our meal. Perhaps, not coincidentally, my grandson, who hadn't eaten all day, ordered these really decadent pancakes which he loved. We expected he'd order his normal burger. I ordered the crab cake special with trepidation. Not everyone does crab cakes right. I was not disappointed, they were really good. The special came with soup (or salad)...I ordered lobster bisque, two good sized crab cakes, macaroni and cheese and dessert, which was ice cream for me. I didn't even finish half the meal. HD ordered a Reuben. Our waitress could have been the twin of this actress (Katie McGrath from Supergirl), especially when she smiled.

OIP-1.jpg

After eating, it was on to Stop & Shop to pick up ice cream for my grandson and yogurt for me. Of course I wound up getting ice cream too. 😛 Our Deja "allowed" me to take a long nap after I put the leftover Linner and groceries away. It was a nice day...I love spending time with family. 💕

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back