What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baked another pie today.
This one was peach/blue berry.
After lunch,, hubby & J took a long drive.
Stopped in at our friend's river side cabin, to see how many more stones he needs for break wall.

We left there ,, got on some back roads we hadn't been on before.
Always something different to see.

Back home & cut into the pie. Was very good.
Will use that recipe again.

Pretty quiet day here at home today. Helped my wife with some house cleaning and whipped together one of my world famous green salads.
View attachment 233204
greek-salad.jpg
Right now the heat has got me out of bed, later today we shall be at a gathering of MG cars:
vintage cars3.jpg
Without any catering we shall be taking along a Greek Salad.

MG WA2.jpg
Some MG's are so wonderfully exquisite it makes you wonder, are they really MG's?

mg and hat.jpg

The answer is yes they are.

I've been taking it easy this past week in hopes my feet would be up to walking around in Canada today. Yesterday I went for a short (5000 step) test walk and that went well (and I saw a couple turtles in an otherwise rather mundane park). So today I was up early and parked on the US side of the bridge and used the pedestrian walkway to go to Canada. The border security was really light, they didn't ask me if I had anything, they didn't check my bag or purse, it was just show the passport and the ArriveCAN app (covid shot proof) and I was through!

From there it didn't go as planned though, because I couldn't find my tour. I felt like the 'are you my mother?' children's book from going up and down the row of constantly arriving and leaving tour buses and asking each driver 'are you my tour?'. When there were only 7 minutes left I called the company number and told them I couldn't find the tour bus, they said they'd call me back in a couple minutes, but they didn't call for a half hour. I got a refund but I hadn't done any researching of places to go so I had no Plan-B.

Luckily one of the other tour operators told me there was a bird thing in easy walking distance, so I walked to that. It was a Free-flying Indoor Aviary, lots of pretty birds. In the small bird area my hair got side-swiped by a bird! I enjoyed 'Bird Kingdom', but I decided not to risk my feet walking all over looking for other tourist stuff, so I went back to the US side of Niagara Falls and rode the trolley. Still wound up with almost 13000 steps today.

Turtles basking in the park:
turtles in WaltonWoodsPark.jpg

This bird wasn't flying around so I got a nice picture of him (no idea what it is):
CanadaBirdKingdomFreeFlyingIndoorAviary.jpg

Luckily one of the other tour operators told me there was a bird thing in easy walking distance, so I walked to that. It was a Free-flying Indoor Aviary, lots of pretty birds. In the small bird area my hair got side-swiped by a bird! I enjoyed 'Bird Kingdom', but I decided not to risk my feet walking all over looking for other tourist stuff, so I went back to the US side of Niagara Falls and rode the trolley. Still wound up with almost 13000 steps today.

This bird wasn't flying around so I got a nice picture of him (no idea what it is):
View attachment 233240
I looked up your photo on Google Images. I'm pretty sure it is a Western Crowned Pigeon. It sure is a beautiful bird!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_crowned_pigeon
https://southwickszoo.com/our-animals/western-crowned-pigeon/

The top turtle on the stick ... this is why I'm glad I'm having an eye exam next week. I thought the stick was his neck and wondered how it all fit in the shell! :) Then I practically put my nose to the computer screen and discovered the stick. Glad I did that before I spent time researching turtles with extra long necks!

Last edited:
I volunteered with a puppy mill rescue group and had similar requirements and experiences. People couldn’t understand why there was a adoption fee and that the rescue spent more money on the dogs then the fees. Ours were very damaged dogs that were difficult to find good homes for.
Yeah, our mill dogs were very damaged, too. They were usually around 5 years old, and in poor health. The rescue was focused on mill dogs, and also took in owner turn-ins. It was definitely breed specific. I think that was a good thing because all of us knew a whole lot about the breed from personal experience and from being kind of obsessed with rescue and the breed.

The adopters had the regular interviews and checks, and also had to go through a special mill dog interview. We had to make sure they fully realized what they were getting into. The people who adopted mill dogs were special angels, I thought. As were the people who donated to the rescue, especially when we had dogs who required surgery, which was rather often, unfortunately.

Poole Goes Vintage 01.jpg
This photo of our MG was taken, on The Quay at Poole in Dorset, just prior to the covid outbreak.
The car has been in quarantine since then but yesterday the engine fired up, we went for a run,
everything seemed to be working OK, so today we are taking our MG to meet a few relatives.
ww MG's.jpg
We might even enjoy a Sunday lunch out. You never know, we might even dress for the occasion.
CCOTQ 003.JPGblazer 1.jpg

Ugh. It was a lacey night. I really wanted to sleep in this morning but the sandman skipped me. I don't know what I did to tick him off.

It rained last night! Yippee. That'll be a help when it's time for the water bill. This morning it's back out to the garden to attack yet more weeds. I love my flowers, but it's times like this that I wish it was a little smaller.

AFAIK, there's nothing else on today's agenda so I get to wear grubbies all day.

View attachment 233261
This photo of our MG was taken, on The Quay at Poole in Dorset, just prior to the covid outbreak.
The car has been in quarantine since then but yesterday the engine fired up, we went for a run,
everything seemed to be working OK, so today we are taking our MG to meet a few relatives.
View attachment 233260
We might even enjoy a Sunday lunch out. You never know, we might even dress for the occasion.
View attachment 233262View attachment 233264
as always you look very smart HC, but I just wanted to give a shout out to MRS HC.. because she looks really lovely today.. her outfit today ( both of yours of course ) is exquisite..looks like she's got the ladies shoes to match yours as well.. :)

I walked around the block this morning at 6:15, temp was 75 with a slight breeze,came back to water plants/ flowers in our community garden
My long walk of the day will be strolling 6 blocks to/from our church for our 10:30 service in our chapel which has AC. Though I'm not a fan{no pun} of AC,will feel nice after the walk
The rest of my day read local paper, Bflo News,talk to my brother this afternoon,read my book

well.. no chocolate at all for me.. I've had bread but only one small slice of low calorie bread .. with a banana for breakfast

No potatoes today.. had a couple of tiny ones yesterday ... no sugar.. that's a big thing for me.. because I eat a lot of stuff that's loaded with sugar.. so I've been very good at replacing that with grapes. and raisins ( I know I have to be careful with grapes and fruit generally )..

drinking fizzy diet drinks ..one because it's hot but they sate the hunger as well in between meals..

No pies or pastries.. .. no chocolate.. no butter ( I love butter).. no Mayo... no sweets.. no cake...

If The good lord was good, he would allow us all to lose weight if we just cut out the last few items.. :D
I learned a very long time ago, that, carbonated or fizzy drinks stretches your stomach, and therefore more space there to fill up.
Really, is true.

Last edited:
There is one thing I’m NOT doing today is turned the furnace on !!!! ……really, this is still August…..Friday down to 9, last nite down to 10.
Got out my full house dresses, I got cold wearing sun dresses.🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶.
After my morning cleaning chores…..hope to get the rest of the containers out of the shed….my energy level has somewhat died from yesterdays sales…..not complaining…..just feeling tired.

Yesterday did 2 loads of laundry, vacuumed, and dusted the house. Then replaced a fan belt on the backhoe, what a bi**h to get to, I think some of these engineers sit around trying to find new, and better ways to make mechanics lives miserable. Loaded and moved a bunch of heavy truck parts up the hill to storage. Today will be finishing up rebuilding three mower spindles, and doing a little work on one of the metal lathes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back