What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm home from work. It's not a hot day, only 80ish, so I could go out and do a little tidying in the garden. Will I? Probably not ;)

Today was Newbie's last day, and boy oh boy! I am going to miss having her extra pair of hands. The student went for a campus visit today, and I don't know for sure when he'll be back. If the lord's willing and the creeks don't rise (like we used to say in Texas), he'll be there tomorrow. His school is only 300 miles from here but still...after a whole day on the campus his parents might not look forward to a long drive back.

@CinnamonSugar Jealous! Savannah is such a great place to meander around. Hope you're having a great time.

@Leann When will your test results be back?

Well it might be a good thing that I missed the pool this morning.. I felt that my back was just not getting better so I called my primary doctor and asked for an appointment, none available until the end of the month until I explained that I was in some discomfort.. she got the triage team to decide whether I could have an emergency appointment today.. and the answer was affirmative... long story short... turns out I have 2 Broken Ribs.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:..

It would appear that this probably happened some time ago an older injury that didn't fully heal .. and then probably the use of heavy gardening equipment ( tree pruners etc) recently .. have caused the ribs to break again.. *sigh*... no wonder my back has been hurting for the last few weeks !!

Anyway apparently I have to let them heal by themselves, no special treatment.. only paracetamol..or Ibuprofen.. then go back in 4 weeks if they've not healed

Anyway after that I went and had my nails done... cheer myself up.. mistake really because I was in the chair for an hour and a half, and in one position , so my back was hurting like Billy-O..oh well never mind, I've got them done now..

Verrrrry hot out there... stopped off and had a cold drink at the pub... gonna be even hotter tomorrow .

Pool opens at 7am..I might go anyway.. :eek::LOL:
I'm just now catching up with news from yesterday. Oh my gosh, Holly! Many years ago I fractured a single rib and holy cow did that hurt. I'll say it's no wonder you've been in pain. :cry:

Please let the yard work go so you can heal.

💓🤗💓

I went to the store on Jazzy (mobility chair) this morning. I dumped the store basket that was on my lap while I picked out good bananas for the bunny...........I had the package of blueberries in it and they went all over the floor! I could not pick them up from my chair. So after 10 minutes, I FINALLY found an employee and told him what I did and that I was sorry. He just nodded (not a friendly guy.........though since this store has changed from Tops, nobody is friendly here anymore).

It was a beautiful day and I took pictures there and back. I will post some on my diary page.

Going to make some sauteed yellow squash for supper that a church lady donated to our building (with chicken thighs).

Went to Costco yesterday, hit Aldi & my produce store today.
Our daughter's dog is visiting for a few days - showing our new rescue (Ozzy) the ropes and bringing him out of his shell a bit.

At 103° for a high, temps reach the mid-90s by noon. Too hot to do anything outside. I schedule shopping and outdoor chores from 8-11 AM. DH worked in the garage while I was gone. We are intentionally leaving the dog(s) alone in the house for a couple of hours each day to minimize the likelihood that Ozzy will develop the kind of separation anxiety our previous dog had.

This afternoon I'm going to clear some more clutter, assemble what's worthy of donating and put it in my car to drop off at the American Cancer Society's Discovery Store (thrift store).

I could straighten out the mess that is my desk but I plain don't feel like it. Maybe tomorrow... :rolleyes:

Well it was 96 here today... too hot again , but my friend and her daughter were going to visit her inlaws at the beach and they asked if I wanted to come.. and you betcha.. I had been whining about not being able to drive to the beach because of the ribs etc.. so it was so nice of her to think of me...
The reason I jumped at it, was not only do I love the beach, but it was only 79 deg down there, compared to the 96 here , and I was desperate to be cooler..

Anyway , it was a bit of nightmare journey going down..thank God I wasn't driving, I;d have been screaming with pain.. the traffic was nose to tail much of the 2 hour journey...then on the return trip we left at 5.15pm.. and I got dropped off at 8.30pm.. horrendous traffic.. 25 miles of Jams...,

It was lovely to be cooler there than here.. , unfortunately as soon as I got home it was like walking into the Botanic gardens.. despite having the blinds and curtains closed all day..

..however I did have a great afternoon, made a big change for me... :love:

IMG-5464.jpg

view-of-the-beach-huts.jpg

I didn't do any gardening, but I did march my bony behind back and forth and up and down the lawn on the business end of the mower and get it cut. Yay me.

@katlupe Your mobility chair has a name. Sure, why not? Lots of us have named our cars. I had a Subaru Forester. Her name was Kanga (roo...get it?...teehee).

@hollydolly Glad you got a bit of respite from the heat in spite of having to pay for it in discomfort on the way there and by walking into a sauna when you got home. I read online that another heat wave is on the way there. What's that "on the way" stuff? Has it even let up since it started?

Our low temp tonight is supposed to be a heavenly 68F, and nighttime temps for the next week in the 60s, with daytime temps no more than the mid-80s. Certainly not like any August I've ever experienced here. I'll take it!

In spite of some struggles with Google Maps (the app and I disagree on what makes a good route), I arrived on time for the tour of the house where Teddy Roosevelt was inaugurated as President after President McKinley was assassinated (I assume I learned about this in school many decades ago, but it was all completely brand new info to the current Old Me).
After the tour I'd only done 1500 steps so I decided to go a park to walk, boy that Google Maps does not like deviating, I finally pulled into a parking lot to change the destination to the place I was going to, because I couldn't figure out how to just add the park as a stop and talking to my phone didn't help and I got really tired of it telling me to turn left. I feel like Google Maps should be more interactive and listen to a voice, maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Tonight I ate very unhealthy fried yummy carb and cheese food, I blame Wegman's, that grocery store has the most tempting food.

Here is a picture I took of the room in a house in Buffalo, New York, where Teddy Roosevelt was inaugurated (according to the tour, the teenage daughter of the family hosting the historic event didn't bother to attend because she and a friend were elsewhere in the house eating snacks - so 121 years ago teenagers were just the same as today, ha ha):
TeddyRoosevelt Inauguration Room.jpg

I continued purging, reorganizing some items, labeling the boxes they are stored in and readying things for the shredder man. In doing so I made more room to store things under the bed. It also helped remove some of the clutter in the studio. My honorary son called me at 8:30 a.m. and we had an interesting, fun conversation like we always do. But he's on a specific regimen now and had to start work (from home) at 9:00, so we got off the phone. Usually our conversations last and hour or longer. After breakfast I added more items to my countertop dishwasher and ran that. I Swiffered the bedroom and bathroom floors. Yet again... did a lot of sleeping today, which means I didn't accomplish as much as I'd planned. :cautious:

Photos of River Street in Savannah

(btw im just here to tell you driving over cobblestones and texting is an interesting combination 😆)

View attachment 234103

Scallops at Tubby’s
View attachment 234104

new fountain. Lots of development onnRiver Street since I was last here

View attachment 234105
Wait !! You were texting while driving?! Nice photos. I sure wish I could have that scallop dinner right now; looks so good. My honorary granddaughter moved to Savannah about 6 months ago. She likes it there.

Well it was 96 here today... too hot again , but my friend and her daughter were going to visit her inlaws at the beach and they asked if I wanted to come.. and you betcha.. I had been whining about not being able to drive to the beach because of the ribs etc.. so it was so nice of her to think of me...
The reason I jumped at it, was not only do I love the beach, but it was only 79 deg down there, compared to the 96 here , and I was desperate to be cooler..

Anyway , it was a bit of nightmare journey going down..thank God I wasn't driving, I;d have been screaming with pain.. the traffic was nose to tail much of the 2 hour journey...then on the return trip we left at 5.15pm.. and I got dropped off at 8.30pm.. horrendous traffic.. 25 miles of Jams...,

It was lovely to be cooler there than here.. , unfortunately as soon as I got home it was like walking into the Botanic gardens.. despite having the blinds and curtains closed all day..

..however I did have a great afternoon, made a big change for me... :love:

IMG-5464.jpg

view-of-the-beach-huts.jpg
The second picture, what are the little buildings at the top of the beach?

They're Beach huts. They're owned by individuals.. and are used as little temporary shelters when people are staying at the beach.. Usually not for sleeping.. but more often as a little cabin kitted out with a little kitchen are and changing place..

here's some more.. I took photos of yesterday next to the beach..

IMG-5617.jpg

some are really well looked after because they're not cheap to buy... and some aren't so much..

..here's some I took about 20 years ago on another beach near here..

DSCF1741.jpg

the inside looks like this... ( not one of my photos)

IMG_2106.JPG

Last edited:
Had a little adventure yesterday. My landlord's "girlfriend"* suddenly popped up in the back yard when I was out there with Aidan (dog). First I didn't recognize her - her hair is long and she no longer looks like she was cast in a play to be the witch. She looked pretty. Must be my cataracts making the world a rosier place.

There is a large building in the back yard that matches the house. Landlord's father built it for his hoarder wife. It matches the house. GF sells stuff at flea markets and has stuff stored there. She came to get some of it. She doesn't call first, but then again, I've never been outside when she comes over.

Aidan starts barking and pulling at the leash. I said, go away for a second so I can get him inside. She asked me if her putative BF had changed a fuse over here yesterday. The dog is going insane. Then she says I'm afraid of dogs, don't let him near me. I said, I have no control over him, please go away for a minute, blah blah blah. Instead she ran to the storage house. I ran there too, thanks to Aidan. She's cowering at the door, still yapping about the dog and the fuse. The dog lunges toward her, still barking his damn head off. I tell her go inside because I can't control my dog. It is an uproar out there, due to the GF and the dog. The dog gets loose and I fall. No problems - I guess I'm light enough so it didn't hurt or something.

Dog runs behind the storage house, where the woods leading downhill to a road and a lake. By now I am very frazzled. Pat goes in the storage house (it is not a shed). I go into my house to get my son. He goes outside to try to retrieve the dog. Guess where he is? Sitting prettily by the steps at the storage house, waiting for GF to come out!

He comes inside easily for Pupperoni. Eats it quickly and resumes his barking. GF finally leaves. I had called my landlord to tell him to call her and tell her the coast was clear. The dog never even had a chance to go to the bathroom!

And what was up with the dog? This stranger (to him) pops up in the back yard, and he was very alarmed. Things escalate because she won't leave for a minute and is worried about the fuse thing and the dog. He, OTOH, was confused -- is she friend or foe? He decided friend, since he was waiting for her to come out. What would he have done to her, no matter what? Just kissed her like a maniac.

And the GF is not a GF b/c she is LL's friend from high school. He takes care of her - buys her a new car when she wrecks hers, she eats dinner at his house b/c she is a hoarder and can't get to the stove or the hot water heater (to get it fixed). It is a weird relationship. They are friends, and he is very generous with her. He told me her son had died from a heroin overdose and she got divorced, and she was practically destitute, so he takes care of her. She is extremely jealous of all other women because she thinks everyone is after LL. Including me. She once screamed at me that I was having an affair with LL (with details) - like a crazy person, in the middle of his yard. I was so angry I could have popped her one (or more), but I kept my cool. I would never have an affair ... not with my LL, or anyone else. I am a married woman for god's sake!

So today: Take son to and from work, pack, clean. Hope no one else pops up out of nowhere.

Oh, my daughter called around 11:30 pm from CA. She still feels horrible from Covid. Her roommate got mad at her for asking to see the utility bills before she pays her half. Roomie says there is no trust between them and my daughter has to move out within 30 days. On day 31, roomie is going to turn off the utilities. Then roomie changed the password on the internet so daughter can't use it (she pays half), and daughter works remotely from home.

I offered to talk to roomie, but daughter said no. I am good at talking people down, so I figured that might help. My daughter has her sights set on revenge, but I told her that was never a good idea. She is too sick to deal with this. Seeing the bills before paying them is a good financial practice, but roomie doesn't think so. I asked her to get my son to call me, so I could discuss this with him (he is there; he could help), but he didn't call. He is one of my two sons who doesn't speak to me.

Isn't all this called drama? I hate drama! It seems to follow my daughter and the LL's GF everywhere!

I have no idea what I am doing today. I don't feel so energetic this morning but I think it is because I didn't eat enough food yesterday. Just not hungry at supper time so didn't make anything. Had coconut ice cream around three and nothing else. Probably not enough fuel.........or protein for sure.

Maybe by the time I go out to the dumpster I will feel better. If I take Jazzy I will go sit in the park and take my book. Sitting in the sun before it gets hot is always an energy boost for me. It is not supposed to get to 70 degrees before noon today. I could do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back