What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is now 5 am on Sunday morning, We did go to the Christmas Parade yesterday evening. It was about 2 hours long, then we had a nice little dinner at a local restaurant while we were waiting for the traffic to clear.

Not sure what is on the agenda today, other than putting a few finishing touches on the Christmas tree and other interior seasonal decorations.

We've been ill with this cough and cold thing that's going round. Mrs Oy has felt very poorly but I've just had the bad cough and cold. I've been going out but not near many people. Mainly because of the look you get if you cough these days!

Anyway - she's well enough to venture out now so it's down the M6 to a big garden centre near Garstang on the hunt for a Christmas Tree. We've always had a real one every year but with Likkle Grandson into everything we feel like a good quality fake one is a better option. The idea of him grabbing a fistfull of sharp pine needles and shoving them in his mouth doesn't bear thinking about! So that's me today - shuffling round a packed garden centre like cattle. I'll hate it. But Mrs Oy will be in her element so that's ok :)

We've been ill with this cough and cold thing that's going round. Mrs Oy has felt very poorly but I've just had the bad cough and cold. I've been going out but not near many people. Mainly because of the look you get if you cough these days!

Anyway - she's well enough to venture out now so it's down the M6 to a big garden centre near Garstang on the hunt for a Christmas Tree. We've always had a real one every year but with Likkle Grandson into everything we feel like a good quality fake one is a better option. The idea of him grabbing a fistfull of sharp pine needles and shoving them in his mouth doesn't bear thinking about! So that's me today - shuffling round a packed garden centre like cattle. I'll hate it. But Mrs Oy will be in her element so that's ok :)
Garden centres.. at least here are always absolutely chokka on a Sunday...

Today is my 70th birthday. Weather in the mid 70's and sunny. We enjoyed a round of golf with our couples Saturday golf group, then lunch with our group of 14 friends. Even had our lunch bill paid by good friends. I got a call from my sister in Wisconsin and daughter in Chicago wishing me a Happy Birthday. Day would have been even better if either one could have been here with us. I have so much to be thankful for.

As a side benefit I will now start getting my max Social Security check next month. So that will be something to look forward to.
Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a good day.

My plan for today is to do some laundry. I am backed up on it. Sunday is usually a good day because the laundry room is empty. People go out for the day and especially now they are out shopping for Christmas.

I don't have to do any cooking today because I made a pot of soup that should last about three days.

Have a good day everyone!

Cooked some chicken thighs in a Ready made Korma Curry sauce.. and some Rebachon & Bacon tartlettes ( I know it sounds like a weird combination)... however the tartlettes and the broccoli cooked in the Air fryer easily so it saved me having to cook anything that might cause pain .. ..anyway it was very tasty ..
I had to look up what Korma Curry sauce and Rebachon & Bacon tartlettes were.

My plan for today is to do some laundry. I am backed up on it. Sunday is usually a good day because the laundry room is empty. People go out for the day and especially now they are out shopping for Christmas.

I don't have to do any cooking today because I made a pot of soup that should last about three days.

Have a good day everyone!
Something I noticed long ago: In adults-only buildings, people do their laundry during the week so they can have weekends free. In buildings with children, people do laundry on weekends, because they're busy with other things during the week.

Anyway, I'll do laundry today too, because laundry never ends. Trivia game in the afternoon. And the usual exercises, housework, etc.

Something I noticed long ago: In adults-only buildings, people do their laundry during the week so they can have weekends free. In buildings with children, people do laundry on weekends, because they're busy with other things during the week.

Anyway, I'll do laundry today too, because laundry never ends. Trivia game in the afternoon. And the usual exercises, housework, etc.
I thought you were spraying your clothes with alcohol so as not to wash them very often ?:unsure:

Well I am trying to make decision to go seek help about this
damn right knee of mine....it was okay yesterday, now back in
swelling and pain again...tho I must say it is not as bad as
before....would like to go the pain clinic at local hospital for
a shot or two in it....but I hate to jump thru the hoops that
are liable to be in the way.....prob have to go to my primary
first for a "referral"....which is a diff way than saying make them
more money....will see what happens!!!! have great day....:love:

I know your party will be a success. Enjoy yourself!
Thank you! It was a great time! This party was quite small - only 14 people.

Next weekend we'll host about 40 for lunch and festivities for our grandson's first birthday. My DIL is first generation American; her family is Korean. Apparently 1st birthdays are a VERY big deal in Korean culture.

DIL ordered traditional food through a Korean caterer, but per DIL's request I'll make some pizza the night and have it ready to heat up for any kids or non-Korean guests who lack adventurous palates.

The following weekend's pizza cookie party will be the big one this season - I'm guessing 35 or so. The final PC party (on the 30th) will include a lot of children - probably 30-35 people.

It's been three years since our last big pizza/cookie party so a smaller one to start with helped us get back in the groove.

My plan today is to do a whole lotta nothing.

Other than cleaning the pizza stones (that cool down overnight) and sweeping/mopping the kitchen floor, the house is sparkling clean. DH & I never go to bed after a party without cleaning up completely. Did that when we were first married and believe me, once was enough. No need to repeat the lesson.

Well I am trying to make decision to go seek help about this
damn right knee of mine....it was okay yesterday, now back in
swelling and pain again...tho I must say it is not as bad as
before....would like to go the pain clinic at local hospital for
a shot or two in it....but I hate to jump thru the hoops that
are liable to be in the way.....prob have to go to my primary
first for a "referral"....which is a diff way than saying make them
more money....will see what happens!!!! have great day....:love:
Do it Hawky. Do you have a knee-wrap?

Thank you! It was a great time! This party was quite small - only 14 people.

Next weekend we'll host about 40 for lunch and festivities for our grandson's first birthday. My DIL is first generation American; her family is Korean. Apparently 1st birthdays are a VERY big deal in Korean culture.

DIL ordered traditional food through a Korean caterer, but per DIL's request I'll make some pizza the night and have it ready to heat up for any kids or non-Korean guests who lack adventurous palates.

The following weekend's pizza cookie party will be the big one this season - I'm guessing 35 or so. The final PC party (on the 30th) will include a lot of children - probably 30-35 people.

It's been three years since our last big pizza/cookie party so a smaller one to start with helped us get back in the groove.
Yikes, you do it up big! I couldn't fit even 14 people in my house. You give so many a good time.

@StarSong, I know you prep all the pizzas ahead of time. How many ovens do you have for baking them or do you pre-bake and then warm them up just prior to serving. However you do it, I’m sure you’ve got the system down pat.
Maybe more than you want to know but here's the process in detail:

I don't prep them ahead. I make the doughs two days in advance, weigh them out so each will create approx 16" pizzas, and put the doughs in 1 quart containers. (I bought 32 of them at a dollar store a number of years ago - 4 for $1.00.)

The dough does a slow, cold rise in a refrigerator in the garage. I gauge the weather on baking day and start taking the doughs out of the fridge so they'll be nearly room temperature when I'm ready for them. (About 3 hours yesterday. In the summer it's about an hour.) Then the day before the party I make the sauce.

Our kitchen has a quite large peninsula, and I set up a station there with all the topping and other ingredients I'll need. I face our guests so I'm fully engaged in the party while making pizza.

We have two large, thick pizza stones and place one in the middle of the oven, the other on the top rack. Preheat the oven for a full hour so the stones are hot, hot, hot enough that between the oven's heat (it goes to 550°) and the stones' radiant heat, a pizza cooks in 8 minutes (turn every two minutes). DH mans the oven while I make pizzas.

I need about six minutes to stretch a dough to size, dress it, and get it ready for the oven. If I get a little ahead of DH, we shift the pizza that's already in the oven to the top stone, putting the newer one on the lower stone.

Like anything, being organized and having proper tools are keys to success. I use a wooden pizza peel for raw pizza and shake it onto the pizza stone. DH times and removes the pizzas with a metal peel. We have a 20" by 40" cutting board for regular pizzas and an 18" X 24" cutting board where we put special diet pizzas (gluten-free, vegan, etc.).

We've got a great rhythm.

One year I badly burned my hand on a pizza stone fairly early in the party and one of my sons took over the pizza making in my stead. Bless his heart - he's the only one of my kids who wanted to be taught how to make the pizzas. Had he not done that I would have had to power through the pain.

My 10 year old grandson will likely want to learn. He's very interested in the whole pizza process and loves helping me in the kitchen. That said, at PC parties he spends the majority of his time decorating cookies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back