What are you going to do when you can no longer live alone?

I am going back to live in my home on Wednesday. I'm 73 and in a wheelchair. Right now, I live in a "Senior Home". The question is how long can I continue to live at home. Sooner or later, the day is coming when I can't be by myself. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not rich, nor do I have scads of nieces, grand daughters, who will take me in , and care for me. As unpleasant as it is, what are you going to do when you can no longer live alone?
I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm down in FL now and have been searching for options. There seems to be a new concept for home sharing for seniors that sounds interesting. It looks like you live in a normal house or apartment and they match you up with compatible people. Similar to a college living situation...everything is managed for you. I'm looking into it further as it could be a good option.

I've been thinking about the same thing. I'm down in FL now and have been searching for options. There seems to be a new concept for home sharing for seniors that sounds interesting. It looks like you live in a normal house or apartment and they match you up with compatible people. Similar to a college living situation...everything is managed for you. I'm looking into it further as it could be a good option.
Ruth, do you want to share the name of the concept or the facility you are looking into for others that might also be interested...it sounds very interesting for single retirees.

Ruth, do you want to share the name of the concept or the facility you are looking into for others that might also be interested...it sounds very interesting for single retirees.
Sure yes. The one company I found is called Upside Home. Here's the website, looks very interesting, www.upsidehom.com. Much cheaper than independent living facilities too it seems...

DID YOU KNOW? Okay, so only 4.5% of the entire poulation ends up in a nursing home and 2% in a assisted living. My sister was a home health nurse and we discussed our worst nightmare until we learned that very few people actually have to do this. They are valuable places and I know from experience with my mother-in-law, Cynthia. She lived in a senior living high-rise in Grand Rapids, MI because her sister moved there - it was sliding scale (she had little social security) and she absolutely loved it - it was a great place; I wouldn't have minded living there. A friend of mind lives in a sliding-scale apartment building in Atlanta while she continues to run her non-profit performance group (which she's done for decades), teaches creative writing, and still performs ... but she's living on a modest budget and living large in her own way.

None of my grandparents or parents -well up into their 90's all continued to live independently ... and one of my grandmothers in a wheelchair ... still pulling her up to the counter to bake her own bread at least 3 times per week. Now, everyone is different and so is their income ... but I will tell you this without a shadow of a doubt that FEAR is the worst of ALL the enemies. I don't have much money, just starting a new business after the economic downturn closed my former business and my recent company closed it's doors (I know how to do this), and if I decide I don't want to work anymore I'm heading to South America ... lots of ex-pats and it's extremely affordable. Even on a modest income you can afford to hire people to cook and clean.

I have Plans A, B, C and D to choose from and as long as I'm straight between the ears I'm not going anywhere I don't want to go. If I ever lose my faculties I figure I won't care too much at that point. Don't let fear be the determining factor of premature aging and losing your independence. There are creative options.

There are nice places, there are sliding scale residences with community, there are alternatives living styles ... be creative, be strong, be willing to make decisions about what you really want (within your means) ... or join me in South American some day!

DID YOU KNOW? Okay, so only 4.5% of the entire poulation ends up in a nursing home and 2% in a assisted living. My sister was a home health nurse and we discussed our worst nightmare until we learned that very few people actually have to do this. They are valuable places and I know from experience with my mother-in-law, Cynthia. She lived in a senior living high-rise in Grand Rapids, MI because her sister moved there - it was sliding scale (she had little social security) and she absolutely loved it - it was a great place; I wouldn't have minded living there. A friend of mind lives in a sliding-scale apartment building in Atlanta while she continues to run her non-profit performance group (which she's done for decades), teaches creative writing, and still performs ... but she's living on a modest budget and living large in her own way.

None of my grandparents or parents -well up into their 90's all continued to live independently ... and one of my grandmothers in a wheelchair ... still pulling her up to the counter to bake her own bread at least 3 times per week. Now, everyone is different and so is their income ... but I will tell you this without a shadow of a doubt that FEAR is the worst of ALL the enemies. I don't have much money, just starting a new business after the economic downturn closed my former business and my recent company closed it's doors (I know how to do this), and if I decide I don't want to work anymore I'm heading to South America ... lots of ex-pats and it's extremely affordable. Even on a modest income you can afford to hire people to cook and clean.

I have Plans A, B, C and D to choose from and as long as I'm straight between the ears I'm not going anywhere I don't want to go. If I ever lose my faculties I figure I won't care too much at that point. Don't let fear be the determining factor of premature aging and losing your independence. There are creative options.

There are nice places, there are sliding scale residences with community, there are alternatives living styles ... be creative, be strong, be willing to make decisions about what you really want (within your means) ... or join me in South American some day!
Very good post Mythic...if I might ask, where in South America would you recommend, and are the medical facilities adequate there? I know a couple from Peru that come to Miami for medical treatment (that's why I'm asking). They might be interested to know of more affordable places near them to go for medical treatment.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.

Welcome, MA!

I must admit that I was doubtful of the statistics you cited in your first paragraph, but some research proved them to be true. https://nursinghomediaries.com/howmany/

Wow! So different from the scare tactics that say somewhere around 50% of seniors wind up in SNFs, but fail to mention that most stays are very short post-hospital rehabs.
StarSong
Thanks, that is a good link.

As unpleasant as it is, what are you going to do when you can no longer live alone?
This will no doubt be removed, but it is the truth.

...Strange no one is writing about the obvious solution that doesn't burden one's family
go out alone in the evening in some rural area and do some jogging. I know it sounds crass and I do not know if I would have the strength of will to do it but, when I was told by my cardiologist that my life expectancy was two years I moved to a remote cabin in the Northern wilderness of Alaska that was totally isolated and spent my days reveling in the handiwork of God waiting for that one final pain in my chest.

IMG_7725.jpg

This will no doubt be removed, but it is the truth.

...Strange no one is writing about the obvious solution that doesn't burden one's family
go out alone in the evening in some rural area and do some jogging. I know it sounds crass and I do not know if I would have the strength of will to do it but, when I was told by my cardiologist that my life expectancy was two years I moved to a remote cabin in the Northern wilderness of Alaska that was totally isolated and spent my days reveling in the handiwork of God waiting for that one final pain in my chest.

View attachment 92574
Not to point out the obvious, but since your location is listed as Texas it appears changed your mind about that final jog into the wilderness. Or changed doctors or your health habits.

Why would you think the mods would remove your post?

This is a real concern, I think about it quite often. My daughter who always handled all my businness and legal issues moved away to be close to her daughter. I still drive, mow my own yard and get along very well, but that could change in a second. We decided that we would never send our parents to a nursing home and it damn near killed us taking care of them. Having visited many nursing homes I think I would rather just sew a cyanide capsule in my lip and just choose my own exit time. With my luck I would probably be enjoying a pepperoni pizza at Pizza Hut and crunch down on the damn thing. Strange as it may sound I have never discussed my final exit with my daughter. :yoda:
Totally understand.

I am going back to live in my home on Wednesday. I'm 73 and in a wheelchair. Right now, I live in a "Senior Home". The question is how long can I continue to live at home. Sooner or later, the day is coming when I can't be by myself. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not rich, nor do I have scads of nieces, grand daughters, who will take me in , and care for me. As unpleasant as it is, what are you going to do when you can no longer live alone?
I wonder if you could purchase a life insurance policy, then strike a deal with someone: take me in, care for me, and you will be named the beneficiary.

Back