What books are you into recently?

... I went as far back as Nimrod in ancient history up till today but mostly on American and Caucasian history. With a little of other eras and peoples.

Ancient cultures are fascinating! Because of my 99% British Isles DNA with much of it from the Atlantic side of Scotland, I purchased Facing the Ocean: The Atlantic and Its Peoples 8000 BC-AD 1500 by UK archaeologist Sir Barry Cunliffe. Bought it five or so years ago and have to read in bits at a time since it's an archaeology text and I have no background in that field.

Last edited:
animal farm
when you understand what the author is actually doing it is absolutely hilarious. But also tragic in the light of what actually goes on in Communist counties. for instance how less intellectual animals are made to feel stupid despite their commonsense. Intellectual bullying that creates elitism.

A couple of months ago I read'Small Fry' by Lisa Brennan Jobs. She is the eldest daughter of late Apple CEO,Steve Jobs.
Lisa's parents never married,in the beginning he wouldn't acknowledge Lisa was his daughter. Her mom had difficulty getting him to pay child support because he claimed he 'didn't have enough money'. He was a real S.O.B,strange guy. It was a fascinating read
A the moment,I'm reading another memoir"Growing Up Bernstein' by Jamie Bernstein,eldest daughter of legendary composer,Leonard Bernstein.I knew who he was,but not much about his personal life. I had read articles,heard rumors he was really gay She mentions actors,other composers who were collabrators, family friends with her parents,I recognized them all. Her mother really had to put with alot dealing with him. I recommend both books Sue

Currently I'm reading these 2 back to back.....

Aprons and Silver Spoons: The heartwarming memoirs of a 1930s scullery maid...and conversely... Strangeways: A Prison Officer's Story
Might surprise you Hollygall, am finishing up a Jenny Colgan book "The Cafe' by the Sea". Really like her work...then its back to a brand new Preston Douglas/Lincoln Child book that just came off the press! Love those mysteries.

The best books that I have read in the past few years are:

" A man called Ove"
" All The Light We Cannot See"
" Hotel on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet'
" The Gift of Rain" …. my all time favorite!!
" Garden of Evening Mists"
" The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein
" Cutting For Stone"

and I am fishing for a recommendation for my next great read!!

The best books that I have read in the past few years are:

" A man called Ove"
" All The Light We Cannot See"
" Hotel on The Corner of Bitter and Sweet'
" The Gift of Rain" …. my all time favorite!!
" Garden of Evening Mists"
" The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein
" Cutting For Stone"

and I am fishing for a recommendation for my next great read!!
The Wonder by Pearl S. Buck

It's funny how I can really love one book and dislike another by the same author.... Les Miserables by Victor Hugo was great; couldn't get into the Hunchback of Notre Dame... Jane Eyre by C. Bronte is a fave; Villette just doesn't come close.

Or a movie can be better than the book... The Help and Howard's End come to mind. Thoughts?

I listen to audio books when I paint. I have a few memorable one.

The Gold Finch Movie will be released in September.

**AUDIO BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS **

Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami
Kirby Heyborne - Narrator

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Goldfinch by Donna Tart

Cradle and All by James Patterson

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

When Breath Becomes Air. by Paul Kalanithi
Abraham Verghese. Narrator: Sunil Malhotra - Narrator Cassandra Campbell

Just wondered. Who are some of your favorite authors? And what kinds of books are your favs - like mysteries, or non fiction, etc?

I started reading the new testament and finished it. Now im in the old testament. This is really the only thing I read on a regular basis. I listen to my audi books when I paint or on long drives.
Pauline...hey, I o tend to "skip over Leviticus" though...not my fav chapter.

Back