What Computer(s) & Operating System(s) Do You Have? Pros and Cons?

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
I need a new computer. My computer has been acting up ever since I did the "upgrade". I have a Mac and the "upgrade" was to Catalina. Turns out that Catalina is such a PITA that there are videos on YouTube about how to downgrade to the previous OS. I tried doing it but it didn't work out. I even took the computer to Micro Center for them to install 16 Gigs of Ram, since my nephew and son do not have problems with Catalina using that much Ram. The parts store the agent recommended me to no longer has the part for my year computer (late 2013).

So for months, I've been stuck using an OS that can't seem to do much of anything without that "spinning beachball of death" taking up so much time. It takes me at least 3 times longer to do many operations. It's maddening! My grandson offered to build me a computer...his looks awesome, but I'm not sure if a computer tech could fix it if something goes wrong and my grandson is out of town or the country for a while. Looking through "The Best Computers for 2023" was mind boggling and confusing to say the least. My grandson suggested I go to Micro Center and just talk to a computer person, get a feel for what's out there without making a snap decision on what to buy.

I"m thinking I won't get another Mac, something I never thought I'd say. But as a friend said...their upgrades tend to be downgrades. Also my grandson said all the new Macs only have 8 gigs of Ram although there's something installed that supposed to make them faster despite that. So what do you have and what do you like and dislike about the machine and OS?

Catalina is old and no longer supported by Apple.
My Mac is late 2015 and presently running with Monterey which is as far as I can go but I am happy enough with it.
You might want to try and upgrade to that though I suppose it depends on what the missing part is.
Good luck.

It depends on what you're planning to do with it. I have a Chromebook but it isn't capable of running windows programs. They have something similar on Google but it's not really the same. If you need it for Word or other types of things like Office and stuff I wouldn't get Chromebook for that. You might be able to do a google search for OS compatible with your needs.

I need a new computer.
What kind...Desktop, laptop or tablet? If you want a tablet the best choice would be an iPad, but I know you said you didn't want another Apple product. Chrome tablets are usually under-powered, there are tablets with Android but almost without exception, they are orphaned by their manufacturer and are woefully out of date, for operating system and security updates. Non-Apple laptops come with Windows installed, I personally detest Windows so I replace it with Linux. Same with non-Apple desktop computers, comes loaded with Windows, unless you'd like to go shopping at Newegg and build your own. ;)
Linux comes in many varieties, and I hate to say, but is a bit of a geek oriented niche in computing, as far as daily users are concerned. So, getting Linux and installing it is somewhat of a learning curve.

What kind...Desktop, laptop or tablet? If you want a tablet the best choice would be an iPad, but I know you said you didn't want another Apple product. Chrome tablets are usually under-powered, there are tablets with Android but almost without exception, they are orphaned by their manufacturer and are woefully out of date, for operating system and security updates. Non-Apple laptops come with Windows installed, I personally detest Windows so I replace it with Linux. Same with non-Apple desktop computers, comes loaded with Windows, unless you'd like to go shopping at Newegg and build your own. ;)
Linux comes in many varieties, and I hate to say, but is a bit of a geek oriented niche in computing, as far as daily users are concerned. So, getting Linux and installing it is somewhat of a learning curve.
I have a desktop now and want to get another desktop Nathan. I have never been into laptops. The thought of being tied to the temptation of taking it everywhere is a turn off for me. I carry enough stuff around. So my solution was to get a 10.5" tablet that fits right in my purses (which are totes). Also, I need a desktop to fill a space on the computer stand in my living room. 🤓 Not only are Apple products overpriced, they've become quite a disappointment, not only to me but my friends too.

I had read that people were having lots of problems with Windows 10. I hadn't heard anything negative about W11. My son or my nephew, whose career is in installing and repairing computers for large companies across the country, would likely be able to install Linux. My grandson who offered to build a computer probably could too. Thank you for your input.
@MarciKS

I have a System 76 computer and run Linux on it. It is a computer that is designed to run Linux. I love it.

I bought a Windows computer for my late husband, and used it a few times. It was soooo slow I nearly chucked it out the window. I gave it to my ex-husband, who needed a computer and who loves Windows.

Linux is interesting to use. Problems do occur and I figure them out by searching for solutions. I enjoy that, though it can be a frustrating challenge.

I have a System 76 computer and run Linux on it. It is a computer that is designed to run Linux. I love it.

I bought a Windows computer for my late husband, and used it a few times. It was soooo slow I nearly chucked it out the window. I gave it to my ex-husband, who needed a computer and who loves Windows.

Linux is interesting to use. Problems do occur and I figure them out by searching for solutions. I enjoy that, though it can be a frustrating challenge.
I always wanted to buy a pre-built computer from System 76, prices look competitive.

If you make it past the learning curve of Linux, you won't go back to Apple or Windows.
Well, I have a Win11 notebook for when I must run *.exe files that pop up for camera firmware upgrades and such which is seldom.
I went to Linux in about 2009 when Microsoft stopped XP support and have a 2007 Dell Latitude laptop that still easily runs Linux.
So Linux seems to give new life to older hardware because it's so light on computer resources.

There are many flavors of Linux and while I've tried all the popular ones, I've stuck with the Linux distro I chose in 2009 ... Linux Mint.
There are three different desktops of Linux Mint available and I've always preferred Linux Mint "Mate".

I've never owned a MAC but what I've observed is that those who have are VERY loyal and while they may try something else, most often return to a MAC at some point or another.

And all that said, Linux isn't for everyone and I really don't recommend it for someone who isn't computer savvy or doesn't have someone who can "hold their hand" with it for a little while to get past the initial learning curve. But you sure can't beat the price of Linux ... $0 ;)

I have a 10+ yr. old CyberPowerPC Desktop that has been very good. It doesn't, however support W11. Lately, it is having trouble with a couple of the Windows updates, so I have turned off the updates, and just do a manual "backup" every couple of days. I can see no reason to spend a bunch to get a new computer just to have access to W11. I may try to install/use Linux this Winter if I start having issues other than Windows updates.

... just to add, my desktop computer is fanless Mint Box 2 with Intel Core i5 and 16GB ram and 250GB SSD memory, that I've used for several years now. It is totally and completely silent ... not a sound at all ... no fans. And the footprint is very small. It did have a conventional hard drive and only 4GB ram (maybe 8) when purchased years ago, that I upgraded to current configuration.

It feels like I may never have to buy another desktop unless it's just for grins and giggles or this one breaks ... which isn't likely.

mintbox2-front-angle.jpg

mintbox2-back-angle.jpg

Last edited:
For years, all I had was some kind of a desktop that used Windows, and my kids helped to keep me on an upgraded one as computers got better. The biggest problem was that sometimes when they crashed, they died completely and nothing was able to be saved from the hard drive at all, so I lost lots of pictures that were important to me when this happened.

After one crash, over 10 years ago, my daughter brought me her new iPad to use while she tried to save things off the old desktop. I immediately fell in LOVE with the ipad, and that is all that I have used ever since.
(She gave me hers and bought herself a new one ……she is the BEST daughter ever !)
I now use one of the large 12.9” iPad Pro’s along with the external keyboard, making it like a laptop in effect. It stays on my desk, just like a desktop would, but I can take it along if I travel and want it with me.

An iPad might not do all of the technical stuff that some people do on a computer, but it does all of the basic things that I need, and lots more that I don’t do, but could if I wanted to.
And the older I get, the more I like things to be simple, which is another place that the iPad really shines because everything is SO easy to do with an ipad.

My daughter gave me one of her older MacBooks, but I am so used to the iPad that I seldom even see a reason to use the MacBook.
I also have a huge 17” Chromebook that I got just because the big screen is great for watching videos on youtube.
Chromebooks are also a great option if you just need to do basic things with a computer, and they are getting better all of the time, and have low prices compared to other computers, plus built in virus protection.

Most that switch after using an OS for years to another OS will be frustrated for a few months with operational differences though web browser operations tend to be the same. Especially those unwilling to read OS user documentation. There are plenty of web links describing the Apple to Windows change experience for various users. And there are plenty of For Dummies like books or websites for help.

Power users tend to describe the experience as trivial. The less computer savvy one is, the more frustration is likely. The less one is able to use browser web searching, the more difficult it will be when stuck. Those that depend on a touch screen will dislike the experience more.

I have little used Apple products. My computer background was well before the rise of personal computers in UNIX where the command line rules. Windows computers have much more command line and power user functionality. I greatly dislike touchpads, trackballs, and monitor fingerprint gunking touchscreens. If one is used to using a touchpad, using a mouse will be an easier change than the reverse.

Windows laptops unlike desktops, rarely come with a mouse so there are many of us that immediately install an RF mouse into a laptop USB port. All Apple monitors are touchscreen devices while only 30% of Windows devices are that also will be more expensive. My expensive 2012 Dell laptop has a touch screen but I've never used it.

There is much to complain about with current versions of Windows and the web is full of such. Most of my own revolve around functions that have gradually over years been removed for the sake of security and the vast masses of unsavvy users.

I need a new computer. My computer has been acting up ever since I did the "upgrade". I have a Mac and the "upgrade" was to Catalina. Turns out that Catalina is such a PITA that there are videos on YouTube about how to downgrade to the previous OS. I tried doing it but it didn't work out. I even took the computer to Micro Center for them to install 16 Gigs of Ram, since my nephew and son do not have problems with Catalina using that much Ram. The parts store the agent recommended me to no longer has the part for my year computer (late 2013).

So for months, I've been stuck using an OS that can't seem to do much of anything without that "spinning beachball of death" taking up so much time. It takes me at least 3 times longer to do many operations. It's maddening! My grandson offered to build me a computer...his looks awesome, but I'm not sure if a computer tech could fix it if something goes wrong and my grandson is out of town or the country for a while. Looking through "The Best Computers for 2023" was mind boggling and confusing to say the least. My grandson suggested I go to Micro Center and just talk to a computer person, get a feel for what's out there without making a snap decision on what to buy.

I"m thinking I won't get another Mac, something I never thought I'd say. But as a friend said...their upgrades tend to be downgrades. Also my grandson said all the new Macs only have 8 gigs of Ram although there's something installed that supposed to make them faster despite that. So what do you have and what do you like and dislike about the machine and OS?
When I bought my Mac laptops back in 2015, I bought two. One was heavier than the other one. I used the lighter one (MacBook Air) for many years for the Internet while the heavier one (MacBook Pro) was used mostly for writing. Last year, I could not upgrade the MacBook Air to the new Windows version because I needed to first upgrade my Mac. I did not have enough GB storage in my computer for that. I attempted to remove as many files as I could (unto an external hard drive), but it was not enough.

Consequently, I have been using the MacBook Pro for almost everything now and it has an external hard drive that saves all my files. I avoid using the cloud. I would still buy another Mac when the time comes. It has been very sturdy and reliable. I have not had problems with it (other than the storage) as I did my previous computers (Dell, HP, and Sony.). My other computers usually lasted 4-5 years before they quit on me. It's been 8 years with the Mac, going on 9.

For years, all I had was some kind of a desktop that used Windows, and my kids helped to keep me on an upgraded one as computers got better. The biggest problem was that sometimes when they crashed, they died completely and nothing was able to be saved from the hard drive at all, so I lost lots of pictures that were important to me when this happened.

After one crash, over 10 years ago, my daughter brought me her new iPad to use while she tried to save things off the old desktop. I immediately fell in LOVE with the ipad, and that is all that I have used ever since.
(She gave me hers and bought herself a new one ……she is the BEST daughter ever !)
I now use one of the large 12.9” iPad Pro’s along with the external keyboard, making it like a laptop in effect. It stays on my desk, just like a desktop would, but I can take it along if I travel and want it with me.

An iPad might not do all of the technical stuff that some people do on a computer, but it does all of the basic things that I need, and lots more that I don’t do, but could if I wanted to.
And the older I get, the more I like things to be simple, which is another place that the iPad really shines because everything is SO easy to do with an ipad.

My daughter gave me one of her older MacBooks, but I am so used to the iPad that I seldom even see a reason to use the MacBook.
I also have a huge 17” Chromebook that I got just because the big screen is great for watching videos on youtube.
Chromebooks are also a great option if you just need to do basic things with a computer, and they are getting better all of the time, and have low prices compared to other computers, plus built in virus protection.
I will need a computer on which I can install a music production program if I don't get a Mac again. I can use Garage Band on the Mac. I have a friend who also produces music digitally and she has an iPad, a Mac and a Dell, I think. She does not do music on the Mac. My son has his music production program (Logic) on his Apple laptop and does amazing things with it. He has it hooked up to a big monitor T.V. so he can see everything on the larger screen.

@David777 & @Naturally Thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
I will need a computer on which I can install a music production program if I don't get a Mac again. I can use Garage Band on the Mac. I have a friend who also produces music digitally and she has a iPad, a Mac and a Dell, I think. She does not do music on the Mac. My son has his music production program (Logic) on his Apple laptop and does amazing things with it. He has it hooked up to a big monitor T.V. so he can see everything on the larger screen.

@David777 & @Naturally Thank you for your insights.

@OneEyedDiva ... I completely forgot about your music production needs. D'oh
So I take back any Linux recommendation for you I might have thought about.

Since there are shared interests, think about how your friend and your son approach the requirements. Whichever appeals to you most, go with what they're doing but on a newer computer with update operating system.

Since your son uses an Apple laptop and knowing you state a preference for a computer, maybe go with a Mac and call it a day ;) :) ... something you've used in the past and been pleased with. Plus you and your son will have files easy to collaborate on with similar operating systems.

@OneEyedDiva ... I completely forgot about your music production needs. D'oh
So I take back any Linux recommendation for you I might have thought about.

Since there are shared interests, think about how your friend and your son approach the requirements. Whichever appeals to you most, go with what they're doing but on a newer computer with update operating system.

Since your son uses an Apple laptop and knowing you state a preference for a computer, maybe go with a Mac and call it a day ;) :) ... something you've used in the past and been pleased with. Plus you and your son will have files easy to collaborate on with similar operating systems.
Since the new macs only have 8 gigs of Ram and that seems to be one of the sources of my problem to begin with, that's what's giving me pause. At what point would I find myself in the same situation when I upgrade? As stated in the OP, my son has 16 gigs of Ram in his laptop. I checked to see if I could upgrade to a system higher than Catalina but that option is not available. :cautious:
... also ask Bob Dylan, Garth Brooks and Rihanna what they're using ... seems to be working ;)
^^^ hope you smiled at that
Well, one of my favorites, Eryka Badu recorded at least one of her songs using Garage Band. I'm working on a killer track in Garage Band now. I don't know if that app is available on PCs. Meant to look that up. Not into either of those three people. Funny you should mention Dylan. That did make me smile. I can't stand to hear him sing more than 3 notes. :LOL: My BFF's good friend did a European tour with him several years ago. I told my BFF to ask her how she could stand it. He may be a brilliant writer but the man can't sing.

Also funny that you mentioned my son's requirements. We were talking a couple of days ago about him possibly moving south. This likely won't happen within the next 12 months but he asked what I intend to do about producing my music when he moves. I think I surprised him by telling him I'm thinking of getting a PC at which point I would get CueBass.

My good friend (not my BFF) who's been producing music using CueBass for a long time, suggested that program before I got my Logic program (which later crashed). But because Logic was compatible with Macs, I thought it best to get that instead. So my son, who has Logic now, said he's actually considering getting CueBass too. Voila...issue solved. But even if he keeps Logic and I use CueBass, he would still be able to receive and mix my tracks.

I have a strong bias against anything Apple, which rules out an Apple desktop/laptop and tablet/phone.

I'm typing right now on Windows 10. My tablet (which frankly, I haven't turned on in 9 months or so) is Android, as is my phone.

My computer won't do Windows 11, and I'm fine with that. I look at it as a functional ornament. There are things I want to do - does my device allow me to do that? If yes, I'm good to go.

Of course, back in ye olde times I lived in a world where the latest and greatest was essential. Hell, I'd be using pre-release components and OS's all the time. It was exciting and fun. Today though, I'm after functional. Can I get on the net? Can I get email? Can I watch a movie? All boxes are checked, so I'm good.

I also never turn my computer off. I update it when needed, but I like it to be ready for me whenever I want it.

One way to approach buying a new device is to think about all the things you want it to do. Sadly, computer salesman are as bad as car salesman.

Set a budget first, and don't go over it! Look at the budget, the list of things it needs to do, and there's your measure.

Dell Inspiron desktop running Win.11 Home version is the primary here.

Dell 11" chromeOS tablet is the secondary. Dabbling in bookmarking links as reference and not creating any personal documents seeing how that works. I think the chromeOS is all cloud and nothing resides on a hard drive?

Wanting to migrate wholly to chromeOS but have been with MicroSoft for so many years am reluctant to make the break. Less than knowledgeable about either of them to know what I'd be losing vs. what I'd be gaining. Result is I'm stuck in the middle with both.

In all honesty, 8 1/2 x 11 college-ruled paper and a #2 pencil is what I'm most comfortable with. Lately, a return to that looks appealing for what little I really do anymore.

Back