What Happened To Flu Season?

fmdog44

That question was brought up on Morning Joe this past week because there has been no flu season anywhere in the world. Today I read this, "Flu cases are down 98% in the U.S. this year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention". How many die annually from the flu and what will you do when the next flu season comes around?

Well, I am not missing the flu season - are you? I get a flu shot every year. Now, if I can just get a covid vaccine shot...
Would love to get the vaccine shot also. Got called for one but it was miles from me and no way to get there. Have left message for the hot line but no call back as they promised.

It just goes to show how lax and careless society (and the world) got in relation to leaving the house when sick with a cold and/or the flu, however, all that ended when stringent guidelines and practices related to Covid were implemented.

I made mention of the fact in a past entry of mine, but as far as I'm concerned, just as fines and penalties can be handed down to people not abiding by Covid measures and restrictions, a law should be passed that allows authorities to fine and issue stiff penalties to those who venture out of their homes when knowingly sick with common cold and flu bugs, and IMO such fines and penalties should remain in place indefinitely, even if Covid is eventually reined in and brought to it's knees.

That question was brought up on Morning Joe this past week because there ahs been no flu season anywhere in the world. Today I read this, "Flu cases are down 98% in the U.S. this year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention". How many die annually from the flu and what will you do when the next flu season comes around?
Shhhhhh....

Not being funny, but Covid happened. Think of it....we are all staying inside more, not around a lot of people. Social distancing. Thus, no flu. But, TBH, I would rather have flu season.

Masks and social distancing plus sanitizing.
I agree with you both! It's been many years since I took a flu shot or had the flu. During winter flu season especially, I always used wipes on shopping carts when available. I didn't have hand sanitizer in my cars like I do now with the COVID-19 pandemic, but I made it a point to wash my hands thoroughly after getting back home before I put anything away, or risked touching my face.

Also, even before the coronavirus, although I never wore a mask, I avoided anyone who was coughing or sneezing in public, not getting close to them seemed to be the wise thing to do. @Marie5656, I'm with you, would definitely rather have the flu season rather than this potentially deadly virus to deal with. Hoping soon, with vaccinations becoming available, we can retire our masks and get back to some normalcy.

As with anything, there are many "explanations" floating around.
The fact is, the flu is not a big epidemic every year; only those years they want to sell lots of flu shots.

They say the flu rate has been very low this season probably due to the measures we are taking to avoid covid19. Maybe they should have told us to take all these measures during flu season years ago for so very many have died from the flu too.

They say the flu rate has been very low this season probably due to the measures we are taking to avoid covid19. Maybe they should have told us to take all these measures during flu season years ago for so very many have died from the flu
@Ruthanne I totally agree but I'm not sure the general public would have heeded that advice if it was suggested that we wear masks for the flu.
People have to be sacred out of their minds before they comply to rules they aren't use to.
Even today people are fighting the mask rule in public places.
I hate wearing a mask but if the precautions help, so be it.

@Ruthanne I totally agree but I'm not sure the general public would have heeded that advice if it was suggested that we wear masks for the flu.
People have to be sacred out of their minds before they comply to rules they aren't use to.
Even today people are fighting the mask rule in public places.
I hate wearing a mask but if the precautions help, so be it.
Yes, Ruth, I agree. I was just thinking the same thing after I made my post and was thinking of editing it but didn't. Look at how so many still won't wear masks and then there are those that still don't even believe covid19 exists or that it's some kind of conspiracy. People are strange!

There are quite few hygiene practices that have fallen by the wayside in recent times. I went to the shoe shop today and in my handbag I had a pair of ankle stockings. Mum would never let us try on shoes in bare feet and I still don't do it.

Buffet behaviour of some people needs an overhaul too, especially on cruise ships.

A lot of regular and seasonal infections beside flu could be minimised IMO with a few thoughtful behavioural changes.

@Warrigal , I notice that also. When I use the ladies room in public places I notice while I'm washing my hands so many people just walking out without stopping to wash theirs.
Before masks people would lick their fingers to get the plastic produce bags open.
People letting little kids go up to the buffet and slop around in the food even though there are signs telling people children must be accompanied by and adult who probably have just as unsanitary habits as there kids.
I got sick on a cruise ship and won't be going again.
I remember those little stockings, Peds we called them, when trying on shoes. I also remember paper shields that went under the arms when trying on a drees in a dress shop.
Having to leave underwear on when trying on a bathing suit, which I still do.

Ruthanne stated ; "Yes, Ruth, I agree. I was just thinking the same thing after I made my post and was thinking of editing it but didn't. Look at how so many still won't wear masks and then there are those that still don't even believe covid19 exists or that it's some kind of conspiracy. People are strange!"

I've said it before and I say it again. Take a look at the areas of the country that despise mask wearing, don't want vaccinations, see it all as a "Big Pharma" conspiracy and the political leanings of a majority of people in these areas. These people tend to follow the recommendations of their political leaders and not the medical/science folks.

Listen to your neighbors, people on these newsgroups, etc.. 9 out of 10 times, they will all share the same view about medical issues and share the same political views. And if you think that I'm wrong, just follow the folks who post on these groups and see where the two views tend to coincide.

It's a free country and we're all entitled to our own opinions. Just seems strange that so many views seem to be connected to political rather than medical information, no matter how imperfect either may be.

Back