What I Hated About The Music Of The 50s & 60s

Actually, if you think about it, you can't really divide music into convenient decades. It should be more like 1945-55, 55-65, 65-75, etc. Nat King Cole's 1950 "Mona Lisa" is not at all similar to Elvis Pressley's 1958 release "All Shook Up." Pat Boone's "Moody River" of 1961 hardly resembles Janice Joplin's 1969 recording of "Piece of My Heart." But don't pay any attention to me. I still listen to the Andrews Sisters every now and then.

I know I am weird, but I have never liked music, even though my late father had a very good voice, and my siblings and daughters are very musical. My father even went on a tour of the US in 1961 with a choir. I tolerate classical music as my husband enjoys it.

So...Nautilus what are your particular pet hates if any of that era? I lnow mine but interested in yours and others.
Not sure which era you're referring to. I don't really hate any music but I intensly dislike country and western and most of the "stars." However, I can do a mean Willie Nelson impression with a clothespin on my nose.

My parents always had the radio in the kitchen on a local country music station. I couldn't stand it. My brother and I had those little Japanese transistor radios that we listened to pop music on.

Not sure which era you're referring to. I don't really hate any music but I intensly dislike country and western and most of the "stars." However, I can do a mean Willie Nelson impression with a clothespin on my nose.

That I would like to see: that is your Willie Nelson 👍

Okay, the 50's: any artists/performers that you avoided or recordings that gave you the heeby-jeebjes?

Recall how the radio disk jockeys would always talk in to the start of songs only to cut the end of the songs of so they could talk through the end a well? I hated that. Even when they did not stop the end of a song so they could talk sometimes they would just chop off the end of the song for a commercial. Also, they never played the long version of any song like House Of The Rising Sun for example.

I remember one day when I was a kid, I was listening to our local AM station on the old Toshiba pocket transistor. Just a few years earlier, Brenda Lee had a hit with a song called "Coming On Strong". The song had a short musical intro then the vocal part began with Brenda singing the words of the title. So this DJ, was doing just what you described in terms of talking over the intro. Then, just as the vocals were about to start, he says "Darlin', since you switched deodorant, you've been a...." and of course Brenda Lee's voice comes in right on cue and sings "Coming On Strong".

Talk about corny. :cautious:

I'm guessing every AM Top 40 DJ across the country had done the same thing at least once.

Radio DJ's have to deal with time. There are things which have a definite time to be aired, like the news, weather, commercials, etc. Back in the 60s, the times of songs printed on records were a "suggestion" at best. DJs loved songs about 2.5 minutes long. It was easier to plan the hard 'stops', for the news, ads, etc. I know one of the hard "stops" was to announce the stations' call sign- "WBZO, "KBXO". That was FCC rule. It had to be announced every so many minutes. So talking over a song was a way to speed up, or slow things down to conform with the hard stop coming up.
The reason you don't hear much form DJs today is that the stations are automated, and there is no DJ.

Back